2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 fit sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
2010 fit sport

just joined the forum.
found a 2010 fit sport automatic with low mileage.
test drove and looked over the car. looked like a one year old car.
have alot of reading to do specially the maintenance part as i like to do most of the work.
first question is if everything is oem, should i preemptively change things like fluids, belts, hoses, spark plug etc.
the honda dealer did do a look over before advertising.

thanks

Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Depends how many miles, but I'd probably just change fluids.

A few things like spark plugs, valve clearance check, are due at 100k. I wouldn't bother before. I've never changed hoses or belts on my 2010 with 140k miles, though I really should replace the serpentine belt.

Most just do what the maintenance minder tells them (get the list here) Maintenance Minder | Maintenance Schedule | Honda Owners Site

Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
There is a known issue of a loose spark plug that "could" happen (happened to me "11 Sport AT). If you smell gasoline on start up, the Check-Engine-Light (CEL) comes on (since the '10 didn't have Vehicle-Stability-Assist (VSA) you won't see that light would come on too), check the plugs.

I'm not saying that a coil pack "can't" go bad but many decide to preemptively change those too at great cost ($70 on-line price - $160 dealer price for each) when it just a loose spark plug or two.

Don't over-tighten the plugs and strip the threads in the aluminum head. I used a dab of blue threadlocker paste (Permatex) on each plug and tightened them to spec (13 - 15 - 18 ft-pounds or pound-ft). Been good for the last +30K miles.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 PM
just a quick story about my fit.
just bought it this past saturday.
again 2010 fit sport auto with a little under 13k miles (not a typo).
all fluids looked change, will have to check the spark plugs though.

thanks

Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
sarasube - Great find.

Since you live north (freezing weather) make sure you replace the windshield washer fluid and "exercise" it to flush out the lines with fresh stuff.

The other winter, a guy here had his rear washer line freeze up. He seemed boastful about never using his washers and never adding new fluid in the many years of FIT ownership.

I guess over the years, the engine heat boiled off all of the anti-freeze components in the washer fluid (methyl alcohol probably) and easily froze at ~30 deg F in the line going to the rear of the car (I believe he thought that the rear washer had a separate pump that had failed but there's just one pump and while he claimed that the front worked the back didn't until he experienced a warm day and then he could flushed out the old stuff with new).

Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 AM
when i looked at the car, looks like the dealerships changed all the fluid.
oil, tranny, brake, coolant all looked new. although the washer fluid was clear in color, barely any smell of alcohol, i wonder.
other things i need to address is another key, still undecided on tranny fluid when time comes to change.
i've had good luck with valvoline maxlife synthetic atf on my previous and current odyssey.

thanks

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
I'd run the windshield washer reservoir almost dry and refill with new stuff you bought. Granted, it might not be an issue right now but you might be busy on something else when that first sub-freezing weather occurs and then you're stuck.

Don't know if you're old enough to remember when gas stations had single-wall tanks buried in the ground. Gas leaked out and water leaked in, so you always got a little water with each fill up. I would see at least 6 cars stopped along the road on my way to work after that first really cold night. I became religious about adding methanol gas treatment in late summer / fall so I didn't have a frozen gas line too. So, it's that old ounce of prevention thing..........