2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Horn relay

My 2010 horn started honking on it's own. It would beep once every couple a miles but the farther I drove the more it would honk until I couldn't stop it. It even honked when the power was off. The battery died and I replaced because it was 8 years old had been slowly dying. When I replaced the battery the honking stopped but so did the horn, it no longer works so I was thinking it was the relay all this time. I bought the relay from Honda and went to put in when I noticed the numbers didn't match. I can't seem to find a diagram that shows me where on the fuse panel the horn relay is. Can someone show me where the horn relay goes on the fuse panel. I'm assuming it's on the panel under the dashboard but of all the relays, none match the one I got from Honda.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
There is more than one horn "relay" location-- depending on equipment.
One possible version has the horn relay INSIDE the fuse box, it's an internal part of the MICU (Hondas name for the body computer). Not a cheapo deal.

Other possible version has relay located above the fusebox.
Remove the knee-high panel on drivers side of dash so you can see the top of the fusebox
To the right of the 10mm nut at the top of the fusebox there are 1 or 2 relays. Left is for foglights if equipped, right is horn. (according to my wiring diagrams)
Random image grabbed from interweb. Ignore the red lines

Most parts people don't know a whole lot about the cars. I bet they found any relay they had in stock and sold it to you. Nobody knows if it's right or wrong until you find out for yourself.

Last edited by ezone; 08-20-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply. I will give it a shot tonight and report back. I bought it directly from Honda dealer parts but you’re right, it doesn’t mean they gave me the right part.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Horn relay

This is the one I pulled out.
Originally Posted by newbie4life
Thanks for the fast reply. I will give it a shot tonight and report back. I bought it directly from Honda dealer parts but you’re right, it doesn’t mean they gave me the right part.
swapped out relays and still no horn. The security horn works but not the main horn. Going back to Honda to make sure they gave me the right relay.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
No dice

Swapped out the relays and still no horn. Went back to Honda and they said it is the right replacement relay. They wouldn't take it back though because I had tried it in my car so I'm stuck with the relay. Is there an easy way to test the relay or the horn for that matter. I guess I will try to change the horn and see if that solves it. I'll check back when successful.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Replacing random parts needlessly can be expensive.

Understand how the system works so you can perform tests to determine what's really failed.
A voltmeter or a simple $3 test light (or a 12v light bulb with 2 wires) might be all that's needed to diagnose it, if you understand how it works and how to use the equipment.

Connect test light to ground,
Disconnect horn wire (single wire)
probe (make contact with) the horn wire connector terminal with the pointy end of the test light.
Have someone push the horn button.
Does the test light light up?

If it lights up, that means power is reaching the horn and therefore the horn is bad. (EDIT: horn is grounded through the mounting bolt)
If it does not light up, there is more work to do.

Last edited by ezone; 08-22-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Ezone

I will give that a try and report back.
I didn't get a chance to test the horn but I did notice that my cruise control set button stop working also, in other words I can turn cruise control on but I can't set the speed. So even if the horn is shot, that doesn't explain the cruise control.

Last edited by newbie4life; 08-28-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Adding a side note
Old 09-01-2018, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
No dice

I tried what you said Ezone and I got no light on my tester. Assuming I did it correctly. I'm on the verge of taking it in unless you can think of anything else. One interesting footnote; When I turn on the car, but not the engine, the steering wheel symbol with an exclamation point comes on and when I remove and reinsert the number 24 fuse I hear clicking coming from behind the fuse box, any clue?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Giving up

Ok, I think I've done just about everything I could do other than going in through the steering wheel which I don't want to do because of the airbag. The clicking and the fact that the relay is always hot, even when the car has been sitting for hours has me a little concerned. It seems like there's an open circuit somewhere and it's feeding power to the relay. Going to take her in next week. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I tried what you said Ezone and I got no light on my tester. Assuming I did it correctly. I'm on the verge of taking it in unless you can think of anything else. One interesting footnote; When I turn on the car, but not the engine, the steering wheel symbol with an exclamation point comes on and when I remove and reinsert the number 24 fuse I hear clicking coming from behind the fuse box, any clue?
I will give that a try and report back.
I didn't get a chance to test the horn but I did notice that my cruise control set button stop working also, in other words I can turn cruise control on but I can't set the speed. So even if the horn is shot, that doesn't explain the cruise control.
Quit pulling fuses out.

Need to see what the EPS codes are
Diagnose for cruise inop, could be related to horn problem as both systems share the clockspring

Old 09-02-2018, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Need to see what the EPS codes are?

Is this a do-it-yourself job or for the professionals?

Old 09-14-2018, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Mechanic

So I finally took it to my mechanic and he said it was a part in the steering column. Has to order it and it costs about 200 bucks + labor. I guess sometimes you just got to trust the experts .

Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. From the first read I could tell it's the contact ring in the steering wheel. When you have a horn that likes to honk seemingly randomly, it's almost always the brass ring in the steering wheel that has failed or corroded.

I had it happen in a car back in the '90's. Was embarrassing just getting the car home.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
So I finally took it to my mechanic and he said it was a part in the steering column. Has to order it and it costs about 200 bucks + labor. I guess sometimes you just got to trust the experts .
Yea that should be the clockspring that he found failed (also called 'cable reel', spiral cable', and a few other names)
Originally Posted by ezone
both systems share the clockspring

Old 09-14-2018, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. From the first read I could tell it's the contact ring in the steering wheel. When you have a horn that likes to honk seemingly randomly, it's almost always the brass ring in the steering wheel that has failed or corroded.

I had it happen in a car back in the '90's. Was embarrassing just getting the car home.
So was that an easy fix for that could have saved OP $200+ or is OP right to take it in for the service?

Depending if the Fit uses a brass ring or pin and spring.. looks like it could be less than 20 dollars in parts

Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I'm really not sure on the Fit.

We had one poster that had a near $1,000 bill to fix the issue. I don't recall off hand if it was a GE or the GK, but the clockspring (thanks ezone, I couldn't remember the name) was part of the air bag assembly and the whole thing was replaced by the dealer.

I'm sure a competent mechanic could fix just the broken parts, but the dealer replaced the whole assembly.

In my case, it was fixed just by cleaning the contacts.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
There is no brass ring and spring loaded contacts. That's from the olden days before airbags.

The cable reel MSRP might be as low as USD 127, as high as USD 290 depending on your cars trim level and other stuff. (see majestic honda parts catalog)
Plus labor and checkout fees.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
There is no brass ring and spring loaded contacts. That's from the olden days before airbags.

The cable reel MSRP might be as low as USD 127, as high as USD 290 depending on your cars trim level and other stuff. (see majestic honda parts catalog)
Plus labor and checkout fees.
Thanks ezone! I will now know what to replace if ours goes haywire!

Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Horn relay

Thanks all for the reply's. The part was ordered from California and hasn't arrived yet. My mechanic, which I've had for sometime and trust completely, said the part was 200 and then an hour and a half install so looking around 350 to 400. I just dropped 1,200.00 on my Ford Sporttrac so 400 is not a big deal. I had just spent 6hrs banging out the huge dent on the door because my daughter got hit on the driver side door, no police record so no insurance involvement, I would rather handle it myself than have her rate go up since I pay for it. Anyway, it was shortly after that when the horn started going nuts. I'm sure it was just coincidental as far as timing but maybe not. I'll report back when all done.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Angry Horn Update

Update on the horn, my mechanic changed the clockspring in the steering column, which he said was broken but the horn still is not working nor is the cruise control. They are perplexed as everything else seems to be working properly. I don't want to take it to Honda but that might be my only recourse.

Last edited by newbie4life; 10-02-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Horn relay