Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Very grappy and chadder..ly clutch (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/99024-very-grappy-chadder-ly-clutch.html)

Flashesbuck 09-12-2018 06:06 PM

Very grappy and chadder..ly clutch

The clutch in this car seems very grappy, and when damp out even chadders some. I have been driving manuals many many years and this has to be the worst clutch yet.
It's a light throw, and seems to grab and hold fine. I also attribute some of the issue to an extremely light gas pedal.
The car has 235k on it and almost has to have a replacement clutch. Does this sound normal? I'm kinda guessing the replacement clutch is most likely a cheap one causing most of my issues.
Any ideas? Do I live with it?

GAFIT 09-12-2018 06:32 PM

Sounds like hot spots on the flywheel.

A bad driver can destroy ANY clutch in ANY car in very few miles.

spike55_bmw 09-13-2018 09:01 PM

Check the fluid level in the clutch system. Also watch a YouTube video on bleeding the clutch system. Also run a test to see if the pressure is bleeding off (bad seals in either the Master / Slave cylinders, therefore, slowly allowing your clutch to slowly reengage.

My buddy ('10 Sport MT 150K miles & I have a '11 Sport AT 70K miles) was having problems getting his into gear. He did check the fluid level and all was well but he didn't bleed the system or run a bleed-down test. He was managing the problem but it started to feel / sound like he was grinding his gears when at a stoplight in "N" and then pressing in the clutch and trying to put it into 1st. He did replace the clutch, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing etc but it started to pop out of 5th gear. Seems like his need to aggressive slamming into 1st, damaged the transmission probably synchronizer, etc. He put in a used MT and now all seems to be better but $$$$$$$$.

Moral of the story is to follow the MT maintenance schedule for your best chance to avoid those potential problems

Flashesbuck 09-14-2018 10:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this stuff.
THE CAR FAX states a tranny fluid replacement about 30k ago, and it's not grinding at all. Actually onece it's moving this thing is quite smooth. Linkage seems loose and sloppy (not much) but that to be expected at this mileage.

GAFIT 09-14-2018 12:06 PM

spke55 above had a good suggestion. Check the clutch fluid level. It is separate from the transmission fluid and is often neglected.

Flashesbuck 08-26-2019 01:16 PM

It's back... Seems to come with the cooler weather... It's aggravating. It's just bad enough to be annoying, but it still drivable. I should balls up and replace the clutch and flywheel in this thing... I have the tools and space, I have just never tackeld such a searious project.
How hard is it to remove the whole engine? I have access to an engine hoist.

petelite 08-26-2019 03:22 PM

I replaced the transmission-side engine mount on my 08, and that completely solved my chattery/grabby clutch.

Flashesbuck 08-26-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by petelite (Post 1434787)
I replaced the transmission-side engine mount on my 08, and that completely solved my chattery/grabby clutch.

Hmmm... This is under the battery tray?

petelite 08-26-2019 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flashesbuck (Post 1434790)
Hmmm... This is under the battery tray?

Pretty much. A bit further forward (at least if the GE8 is the same as the GD3). You can see it from the top of the engine bay, might be worth trying this before doing the whole clutch.

EDIT: Looks like it's a bit different between the generations. Still, check your engine mounts.

Jeema 08-27-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flashesbuck (Post 1434779)
It's back... Seems to come with the cooler weather... It's aggravating. It's just bad enough to be annoying, but it still drivable. I should balls up and replace the clutch and flywheel in this thing... I have the tools and space, I have just never tackeld such a searious project.
How hard is it to remove the whole engine? I have access to an engine hoist.

You don't need to remove the engine, but you would need to drop the transmission.

I've done one before on a different Honda, and it was challenging but I did get it done. It's probably not something that you can do in one day if you've never done it. It would take a professional probably 7-8 hours, so multiply that by maybe 2 to 4 if you've never done it.