Very grappy and chadder..ly clutch - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Very grappy and chadder..ly clutch

Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Very grappy and chadder..ly clutch

The clutch in this car seems very grappy, and when damp out even chadders some. I have been driving manuals many many years and this has to be the worst clutch yet.
It's a light throw, and seems to grab and hold fine. I also attribute some of the issue to an extremely light gas pedal.
The car has 235k on it and almost has to have a replacement clutch. Does this sound normal? I'm kinda guessing the replacement clutch is most likely a cheap one causing most of my issues.
Any ideas? Do I live with it?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like hot spots on the flywheel.

A bad driver can destroy ANY clutch in ANY car in very few miles.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Check the fluid level in the clutch system. Also watch a YouTube video on bleeding the clutch system. Also run a test to see if the pressure is bleeding off (bad seals in either the Master / Slave cylinders, therefore, slowly allowing your clutch to slowly reengage.

My buddy ('10 Sport MT 150K miles & I have a '11 Sport AT 70K miles) was having problems getting his into gear. He did check the fluid level and all was well but he didn't bleed the system or run a bleed-down test. He was managing the problem but it started to feel / sound like he was grinding his gears when at a stoplight in "N" and then pressing in the clutch and trying to put it into 1st. He did replace the clutch, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing etc but it started to pop out of 5th gear. Seems like his need to aggressive slamming into 1st, damaged the transmission probably synchronizer, etc. He put in a used MT and now all seems to be better but $$$$$$$$.

Moral of the story is to follow the MT maintenance schedule for your best chance to avoid those potential problems

Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this stuff.
THE CAR FAX states a tranny fluid replacement about 30k ago, and it's not grinding at all. Actually onece it's moving this thing is quite smooth. Linkage seems loose and sloppy (not much) but that to be expected at this mileage.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
spke55 above had a good suggestion. Check the clutch fluid level. It is separate from the transmission fluid and is often neglected.