General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Clutch Problems-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Fit Clutch Problems-Help!

I just had a major clutch failure at 10K miles in my Fit Sport, 8K of which were highway.
Honda says no warranty! I am thinking bad friction disk.
I did some web research and found out that there is a limiter in the clutch slave cylinder that delays clutch engagement and the engine chip is programed to limit revs until the clutch pedal is fully released. This info, if accurate, Builds in excessive slippage. I saw numerous accounts of early clutch failures.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
don't powershift and you'd be fine...I grinded gears a whole bunch of times before my shortshifter but I'm at over 10k mi and the clutch still feels like it did on day 1

Why would it not be covered under warranty at 10k miles?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Probably because to Honda, a clutch going out is the same as brakes going out early since it's a wear component. They figure someone just drove the heck out of it and burned it up, so unless they can be proven otherwise, they'd rather not eat the replacement bill.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
really? cause ive dropped my clutch pretty high once and it engaged
quite lively. 12K+ miles no issue...other than shuddering on damp
cold starts. was like this from early on.

i drive my MT cars pretty spiritedly never had an issue with any of them.

i think you have a defect unless you are riding your
clutch.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
i'm at 34k and my clutch still bites with no slippage.
i've always carefully balanced my throttle with every upshift and rev matched for every downshift. i even drive in LA traffic 6 days a week between 2 mph and 20 mph for a round trip of 80 miles - LOTS of clutch work, generally between 1st and 2nd gear.

i'm not sure what could have caused your clutch to go out so soon. i think it's all in the technique

Old 05-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
chaaree- dang... in your case your throwout bearing will go first. hahaha.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
chaaree- dang... in your case your throwout bearing will go first. hahaha.
probably!
but after two years, i think i've mastered driving in LA traffic so my clutch use is minimal - it's all about throttle finesse

Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
don't powershift and you'd be fine...I grinded gears a whole bunch of times before my shortshifter but I'm at over 10k mi and the clutch still feels like it did on day 1
if you're grinding your gears, your clutch shouldn't be your main concern. be careful not to grind your gears to sh*t.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
can any one offer up a confirmation on the clutch delay? i don't think there is one...

Old 05-16-2009, 08:36 AM
By "major clutch failure", is it the friction disc completely worn down? Or something more intrinsically wrong? (e.g. broken pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc.). If it's just a toast friction disc, you'll be lucky to get any help from Honda. It's a wear item, and the only way for it to wear that quickly is improper use. For an entire clutch to wear down that quickly, wouldn't you have been smelling it burning pretty much constantly?

If it's something else other than wear, Honda should definitely cover it.

Originally Posted by Firebat666
can any one offer up a confirmation on the clutch delay? i don't think there is one...
There is one. You can see it on part diagrams on Honda websites. But it isn't a big deal - most cars have them these days. As I understand it, it just softens overly aggressive clutch engagement to prevent damage elsewhere in the driveline.

From the few people I've talked to & read about who've removed them and run a line straight from the MC to the SC, they've noticed little difference.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 AM
it's probably from riding the clutch. I've been in a few cars where people would just hold down the clutch when it's not necessary. I never understood that. But yeah, don't ride that shit

Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
^^^Yeah that's a recipe for trouble

What kind of failure was it? Did it come apart, or does it just slip to high heaven?

Properly driven the Honda clutches can last well over 100k miles.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
st2 clutch problem Help !!! Hello all,

Having a problem with my 02 st2 clutch. I took the slave cylander off for god knows what reason, when I put it back on and reconnected the line I bled out the slave by the handle and the bleeder valve on the slave. What happens is once I get all of the air out of the line the cutch lever tightens up and then locks stiff, you cant pull the lever in and the clutch wont engage. if i open the bleeder the clutch will then depress, cant figure this one out starting to think I might be retarded. Any ideas anyone?
__________________________________________________ ________________
Sexual Predators In My Area
hydroxycut

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
is the clutch delay on the GD3 too? cuz I have done 5k drops and it engages real fast....

Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Since the repair it feels like a different car. The clutch never felt like this since day one. Now it feels like a regular clutch. Before it felt like mashed potatoes. I think that the slave cylinder was screwed up and letting it slip. Never rode the clutch, it is against my religion. Now I have to prove to Honda that it is their problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
22k running strong!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
60k, boosted, running strong.

Doesn't grab like it did new, but it doesn't slip yet! woo!

I'm gonna say that these premature clutch failures are a result of either bad driving skills or bad luck. No other explanation why some go out in 10k and others (like mine) last way longer than they should.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I'm gonna say that these premature clutch failures are a result of either bad driving skills or bad luck. No other explanation why some go out in 10k and others (like mine) last way longer than they should.
hahah so what could it be if it weren't one of those two? it seems like those two cover all the bases already.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgmcgrath
I just had a major clutch failure at 10K miles in my Fit Sport, 8K of which were highway.
Honda says no warranty! I am thinking bad friction disk.
I did some web research and found out that there is a limiter in the clutch slave cylinder that delays clutch engagement and the engine chip is programed to limit revs until the clutch pedal is fully released. This info, if accurate, Builds in excessive slippage. I saw numerous accounts of early clutch failures.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

What reason did the dealer give for not honoring the warranty?
They know something about your driving you didn't tell us, like lots of high rpm power-shifting engagement? Big oversize tires/wheels?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
how much did they charge you?

Quick Reply: Fit Clutch Problems-Help!