2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing body plugs?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
Don't know why, but I was looking at the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) procedure for the Fit... and my dealer didn't put in the body plugs! GRRRRRRR!!! Pics of what the holes look like are below (anybody got pics of the holes WITH the plugs?)

According to the service bulletin, "The body plugs are part of the noise reduction package. They play a significant role in reducing road noise."

For those that want to check, the holes are located near the jack points, a few inches in towards the center of the car.

Here's a link to the PDI procedure: http://www.xpttuning.com/docs/honda/2009fitpdi.pdf (page 4)

I didn't find any other mention of the body plugs missing on a Fit, but I did see that a few people had them missing on Insights (Left out body plugs - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum).

Anybody know of the correct part number for these body plugs? I think it's 90810-SB2-660 but I'd like to be sure before I buy them . I checked in my bag of leftover PDI stuff (has the front license plate holder and screws), and didn't see them in there...
Thank you VERY much for posting this.

Not only does my 09 Base not have the "Body Plugs" installed, I noticed that the lazy loser bastards didn't even install the "Rear Strakes" (page 3 item #17 on the PDI).

Until the Fit, I only bought American. I've been pretty happy with the cars but got sick of the lack of service and lack of pride in the work. I would go from dealer to dealer and in years, only found a hand full of Techs that I would leave my car with for work I couldn't do myself.

I thought going to Honda would change things (maybe some of the Japanese pride in their work would trickle over to the service departments here in the States).

Things are still the same.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
There seems to be a systemic problem with the pre-delivery inspection service. Anyway Hennessy Honda of Woodstock is unlikely to repeat the offense. They were expecting me this morning. Every service writer got in on the act, I was in and out in 10 minutes. While there I slid around the showroom floor inspecting other Fit's undersides. They thought I was having a fit. All the showroom examples had their plugs installed.

The plugs make a difference. It seems there are 3 main noises: low pitched suspension rumbling from below, medium pitch tire noise mixed with exhaust and "other" that seem to surround you, and higher pitched wind noise, mainly from the windshield area.

The plugs reduce the medium pitch noises that emanate from the sides to the extent that wind noise at highway speed is more noticeable. Not a bad thing, overall it's quieter on all road surfaces at all speeds. Exhaust noise during acceleration seems toned down a notch (runs next to the structure). Even passing semis seem less noisy. Of course the placebo effect might explain it too.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Missing: Take 2!

Are any of you also missing the "Rear Strakes" (page 3 item #17 on the PDI)?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I was wondering about the "Rear Strakes" on that sheet, now I come to find the GD has those as well, and I am missing them also. I'll be trying to track down a part number. :[ Anyone know what they do?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
They provide stability upon reaching planing speed on water.

OK I have no idea. But reading this page it seems they control airflow and help improve economy.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
Are any of you also missing the "Rear Strakes" (page 3 item #17 on the PDI)?
They are installed on mine.

First drive with the plugs installed. It does seem quieter. I dunno if it's just my imagination but I asked my wife (her hearing is better than mine) and she said it seemed quieter to her as well.

A thought about these plugs. I wonder if they can come off in the car wash if you select undercarriage wash? I will check them again after the next wash. If any are missing, a set can be had for $13.91 (incl. tax) at my local Honda dealer. I will install the next set with some sort of epoxy or something. But maybe these will stay on. We'll see.

Good thread here freaks. I didn't even know about these things until you guys brought them up.

Last edited by know-nothin; 01-15-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have the strakes too. In fact, the design of those seems to be the culprit of the 'shelf' that collects all the road crud. I just looked and mine are FULL of sand at the moment. Poor design.

Dan

Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Can anyone with a GD check if they have those strakes installed? They're on a PDI for an '02 Fit that I found, but on my car the area is covered in some sort of black, rubbery material and you can't see the holes there, so I'm thinking perhaps they left these out for the USDM 1st gens.

EDIT: I've so far concluded USDM Fits don't have the strakes.

Last edited by secondspassed; 01-15-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
My body plugs are missing. Grrr. I'll be making a few phone calls.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
My body plugs are missing. Grrr. I'll be making a few phone calls.
Maybe start with your mom? Sorry.

I am complete

before............................................ ............ after....

Last edited by Steve244; 08-31-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: updated pic url
Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
LOL, Steve...thanks for the joke.

Yeah, well...I'm gonna get it fixed when I can.

I'm glad I read this thread. Thanks guys!

And thanks for the pics Steve!

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 01-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Just installed the body plugs on my Fit -- my experience pretty much matches everybody else's. It does make the ride a little quieter, but it's not a huge difference.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Spray in foam

Has anybody looked up inside the holes with a mirror? If not I will when I have the car in the air next. If nothing is in there I'm considering taping off the remaining holes and filling them with rigid spray-in foam. I know racers do this and resultantly raise the rigidity of the chassis; I would imagine it would also quiet the car some as a result. I don't know anything about the two-part foams except that they are hard to work with...

b

Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Has anybody looked up inside the holes with a mirror? If not I will when I have the car in the air next. If nothing is in there I'm considering taping off the remaining holes and filling them with rigid spray-in foam. I know racers do this and resultantly raise the rigidity of the chassis; I would imagine it would also quiet the car some as a result. I don't know anything about the two-part foams except that they are hard to work with...

b
If there's any other way for moisture to enter, filling the cavity with foam might contribute to corrosion. I figured the remaining two smaller holes next to the large one were left open to allow moisture to drain. shrug. I'm tempted to fill them with foam too but not until after you experiment.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba

b
This seems like a bad idea to me. Generally speaking, moisture can enter any area pretty easily through condensation or just water finding its way in. The best approach for long term corrosion-resistance is to have small drain holes to allow it to drain back out.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
I came across this thread today and it reminded me of something I saw in my glove compartment when I bought the car last year. Good thing I didn't throw them out. I thought they were just left over packaging from the PDI.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone know if Honda uses these body plugs in other vehicles?

My Fit has the body plugs installed. I replaced my cabin filter in my 2006 Odyssey and noticed a little baggy with four body plugs in it in the glove compartment. Anyone have the PDI document for the Odyssey?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Man this suck.

I really dont fell like jacking my car on the street just to check it out.
With all the snow and salt on the ground combine with the low body of the fit...

Is it easy to spot or I need to jack it up ?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sabiokah
Man this suck.

I really dont fell like jacking my car on the street just to check it out.
With all the snow and salt on the ground combine with the low body of the fit...

Is it easy to spot or I need to jack it up ?
No need to jack it. You'll spot them (or the holes where they should be) pretty easy. No need to jack it if they need installing either.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Went to the dealership where I bought the Fit and told them about the missing body plugs/ rear strakes. I also handed them a copy of the PDI and marked the sections of the missing items.

40 minutes later I get my car back with an apologie admitting that I was indeed missing the said items.

Had it not been to this great site and great members, I never would have even had a clue that these items where missing and I've been under the car many times already.

Cheers!!

Quick Reply: Missing body plugs?!