2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Hang in 5MTs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Rev Hang in 5MTs?

Has anyone else noticed that the RPMs between shifts actually seem to go up alittle or stay the same when off throttle?

It seems that the Revs do not drop immediately even after letting off the gas in the Fit between shifts like all the other manuals I have owned. I wonder if this rev hang is an issue or just programmed that way.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
your foot is still on the gas when you hit the clutch.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a 07 350Z which does not have this issue, so I doubt that my foot is on there. The RPM's will eventually start to decrease, however the delay is what I'm talking about.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
blame it on drive by wire and decreased emissions.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
haha yeah... you're not imagining things... its in both the GE and GDs... i call it the rev float... lol

if i remember correctly theres a choke point in the clutch line... i remember i posted something about it a while back n did a search and someone said they replaced the slave master cylinder with an Si slave and the float disappeared...

but this is from memory... use the search button or google it...

*edit* i did a quick google because i remember bmw had a similar thing in their clutch line.. CDV, clutch delay valve

Last edited by dela; 02-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
yup, timing is different on the Fit. But really it doesnt matter, just ease into the clutch like normal and it should still catch cleanly and smoothly

Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
dela, from what i've read, it's a function of the ECUs software leaving the throttle open for a little while longer to reduce the amount of unburned particulates expelled after the gas pedal is released.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
dela, from what i've read, it's a function of the ECUs software leaving the throttle open for a little while longer to reduce the amount of unburned particulates expelled after the gas pedal is released.
interesting... sounds very possible..

but my info is from memory... so i could be wrong *shrug*

my question would be... why would petrol need to be efficiently burned while decelerating? for the hypermilers? to slow the deceleration rate?

not trying to prove u wrong.. just something that popped into my head

Last edited by dela; 02-24-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by some googled bmw site

The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players used a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.
Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you.
just something about the CDV... sounds very similar to our rev/rpm float

Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
i suppose there is still a decent amount of fuel in the cylinders even after you step off the gas pedal and this function burns up that fuel so it comes out cleaner when it is expelled from the exhaust.

i do remember reading about the clutch delay valve that you wrote about since i'm the owner of a an older BMW and i used to frequent BF and other e30 forums. if memory serves me right, they have a similar purpose for emissions reasons and supposedly smoother shifting. the CDV came before the ECU induced "rev hang" of current cars.

now i'm not sure that it helps me shift smoother since i'm used to the revs dropping immediately on my past manual driving experiences.

Last edited by neil patrick harris; 02-24-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
i suppose there is still a decent amount of fuel in the cylinders even after you step off the gas pedal and this function burns up that fuel so it comes out cleaner when it is expelled from the exhaust.

i do remember reading about the clutch delay valve that you wrote about since i'm the owner of a an older BMW and i used to frequent BF and other e30 forums. if memory serves me right, they have a similar purpose for emissions reasons and supposedly smoother shifting. the CDV came before the "rev hang" of current cars.

now i'm not sure that it helps me shift smoother since i'm used to the revs dropping immediately on my past manual driving experiences.
ooh... makes sense...

yeah... its more of an annoyance for me...

Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, what "neil patrick harris" is descibing exactly what I am experiencing. Like the DBW is not closing the throttle when I tell it. Well it must be a Honda emission thing since Z's and my old E36 M3 use dbw as well but don't/didn't have any delay.

Now that you mention it, I have also noticed a considerable response difference in the throttle when accelerating as well. I.E. - If you try to blip the throttle quickly to heal-toe there is also a delay.

If anyone has tried heal-toeing on the fit it is a PAIN! Has anyone been able to do it effectively? I hope someone comes out with a electronic solution!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
when i blip the throttle while engine compressioning it will back fire like 5 times hahaha it sounds sick! but if i let go of the throttle then hit it again and stay on it, it will only back fire once. but with the intake i made and the custom exhaust i have i dont have that rev hang as bad as before and my car has become way way way more responsive no more lag! hahahah

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
Yeah, what "neil patrick harris" is descibing exactly what I am experiencing. Like the DBW is not closing the throttle when I tell it. Well it must be a Honda emission thing since Z's and my old E36 M3 use dbw as well but don't/didn't have any delay.

Now that you mention it, I have also noticed a considerable response difference in the throttle when accelerating as well. I.E. - If you try to blip the throttle quickly to heal-toe there is also a delay.

If anyone has tried heal-toeing on the fit it is a PAIN! Has anyone been able to do it effectively? I hope someone comes out with a electronic solution!
while cruising some of the mountains w/ buddies, i have had no trouble heal-toeing... i really only notice the float during daily driving

picture just for fun
Name:  SSPX0072.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  73.2 KB

Last edited by dela; 02-24-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely designed that way thanks to the clutch delay valve. i've noticed that it happens when lugging it around and shifting lower in the rpm range, As long as i'm at least semi-winding it out, no rpm hanging. it's still pretty annoying though and would love a real solution on how to remove/replace it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
it is because of the gearing very close ratio gears.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I haven't really noticed it, but I don't wait too long between shifts. In any event, it is not nearly as bad as my 3.8 liter Mustang was.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
Has anyone else noticed that the RPMs between shifts actually seem to go up alittle or stay the same when off throttle?

It seems that the Revs do not drop immediately even after letting off the gas in the Fit between shifts like all the other manuals I have owned. I wonder if this rev hang is an issue or just programmed that way.
this is normal on this car. burning off the last of the fuel.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
you notice it now but give it a year.. it'll become normal to you. I learned how to switch between DBW and normal throttle, took a while but it's pretty cool once you get it down

Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
blame it on drive by wire and decreased emissions.
Hear, Hear! Emissions do drive this, a rapidly closed throttle does not scavenge well and has a steep spike in certain emissions components. The rev hang also makes shifting a little smoother for less-skilled drivers, probably keeps the engine mounts healthier longer as well. The behavior of Honda's drive-by-wire is another reason I picked my Fit with my first AT for a daily driver.

I don't know if any of the throttle controllers affect this. Anyone out there with one to confirm/deny?

Quick Reply: Rev Hang in 5MTs?