2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

A Little Bad News for Mechanically Inclined GE Owners- Spark Plug R&R

Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned
Thumbs down A Little Bad News for Mechanically Inclined GE Owners- Spark Plug R&R

I was looking through my 2009 Service Manual to see the best/easiest way to change spark plugs. Here's the bad news. In order to gain access to the back of the engine to remove the coils and the spark plugs under them, you have to remove the wiper arms, then remove the "Cowl Cover" at the base of the windshield, then open the hood and remove the "Cowl Underpanel", all of which involves at least 9 clips and several bolts.

There is no other way to reach the plugs. You can't even reach around the passenger side of the block and operate blind, by touch, because the AC compressor hose makes it impossible to get your arm back there.

It is a very good thing that this won't be a maintenance issue for 100,000 miles. It will be very disappointing, though, for people who want to experiment with different plugs. Not impossible, not dealer service shop-only, just a giant PITA.

Changing plugs is a very easy, unobstructed job with the GD's. Honda paid some engineer to design these obstructions to discourage the DIYers, and increase dealer service profits. He did a good job.

Last edited by manxman; 01-16-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
I just recently read a DIY thread on installing lowering springs on a GE8, and you gotta do the same thing in order to get access to the front strut tower bolts n such. :-/

I was already complaining with a GD3 how the tower bolts were a bit in the back, but...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jazz GD3
I just recently read a DIY thread on installing lowering springs on a GE8, and you gotta do the same thing in order to get access to the front strut tower bolts n such. :-/

I was already complaining with a GD3 how the tower bolts were a bit in the back, but...
Yep. The work of these specialized "Engineering Obfuscation Technicians" is becoming more and more obvious. Even on Detroit iron, why the hell do they have fasteners with SAE hex heads, and nuts on the other end that are metric (or the other way around as the case may be). Why do we have so many plastic clips holding body parts together (that stretch or break easily) instead of screws that can be re-used forever?

A: to frustrate the hell out of you and drive you to the dealer service dept.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
yeah, when I did Note's coilovers on his GE, I was kinda taken back at the thing I had to do to gain the access to the tops of the struts. But all in all, it's only about 5 minutes to remove the cowell and wiper arms. enough to annoy, that's for sure.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
On my '09 I am able to reach my arm around the intake plenum and service the plugs. Yes, I work by "feel", but there is actually a lot of room back there for the socket, extension and ratchet. I could not get a torque wrench to fit, but after so many years I know approx what 13 ft-lbs feels like.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Good thing you only have to do it once every 9 years huh? I'm sure by the 9th year, i'm ready to do a lot more to the car than spark plugs.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 AM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by kroze
Good thing you only have to do it once every 9 years huh? I'm sure by the 9th year, i'm ready to do a lot more to the car than spark plugs.
definatly, im sure by then we would be doing more PITA stuff than this, or adding up the PITA stuff would make this look like a piece of cake lol i looked in my 08 manual, cant seem to find anythiing about spark plugs excpet the honda model number =\

Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
The car is only a couple weeks old and the reason I'm removing the plugs is to get a bit of anti-seize compound on the plug threads. Despite the long recommended interval for servicing these plugs, I still believe they should come out every 10k miles to quickly check the gap and make sure the threads turn freely in the head. A stuck plug can be a real bitch. Now with this easy work-around the whole affair takes about 20 min and I don't have to mess around with fragile clips on the cowl.

Last edited by Outfit; 07-04-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Are the plugs accessible from underneath?

That said, it isn't just Honda that "requires some disassembly" to access routine maintenance items. The 2001 - 2007 Chrysler Minivans also have the cowl assembly in the way. On those cars it takes 30 minutes to remove the assembly. After you do it once of course).

Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM
once i did it the first time (20-30 min to take it all off)... the 2nd time was a breeze.. like 5 min...

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Any vehicle that has the Fit's shape and engine design is going to have the same issues. The greenhouse extends pretty far out. It's no different than if it were a van. At least there IS easy access with the removal of said parts. Tons of front wheel drive v-6 cars are much harder to access.

Besides, I've wasted a ton of money on past cars buying new plugs that were completely unnecessary. I'm glad to have something that tempers that temptation.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Working for Honda/Acura for 8+ years, it is EXTREMELY un-common for anything to go wrong with factory spark plugs. I know the AP1 S2000's had some issues with plugs, there was even a S/B on it. You sir are going to be able to take off the cowl in your sleep, BLINDfolded and one-handed by the time 100k rolls around!
Cheers!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Sadly this just worsens the GE's reputation in my eyes as a DIY project car. Seems a lot of the design is made to "intimidate" the budding mechanic or tinkerer Chief culprit is that windshield base intruding into what's supposed to be a perfectly good engine bay.

Thanks for the heads-up

For those GE owners who've tried to swap their front suspension out or tried to fit a front strut bar, I feel your pain...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM
xm8
You don't need to keep taking the platnum spark plugs out unless your car is not running properly. Platnum spark plugs last a very long time (up to 100,000 miles).

Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
This thread is FALSE! Unless you have tiny arms. I put in my zex cold plugs without removing a single component. All it takes are normal sized arms and knowledge of what to do without really being able to see it.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Sadly this just worsens the GE's reputation in my eyes as a DIY project car. Seems a lot of the design is made to "intimidate" the budding mechanic or tinkerer Chief culprit is that windshield base intruding into what's supposed to be a perfectly good engine bay.

Thanks for the heads-up

For those GE owners who've tried to swap their front suspension out or tried to fit a front strut bar, I feel your pain...
Actually when I did my front suspension, it was not all that hard to remove the cowl parts/wiper motor. (Some guys did it without removing that stuff)
Also I skipped a front strut bar on this car as it has "stiffening structure" right there unlike some (most) cars where the struts are more "out there" needing support. I am going to do the Oscar Jackson plug mod however knowing it wont be super easy

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
I was looking through my 2009 Service Manual to see the best/easiest way to change spark plugs. Here's the bad news. In order to gain access to the back of the engine to remove the coils and the spark plugs under them, you have to remove the wiper arms, then remove the "Cowl Cover" at the base of the windshield, then open the hood and remove the "Cowl Underpanel", all of which involves at least 9 clips and several bolts.

There is no other way to reach the plugs. You can't even reach around the passenger side of the block and operate blind, by touch, because the AC compressor hose makes it impossible to get your arm back there.

It is a very good thing that this won't be a maintenance issue for 100,000 miles. It will be very disappointing, though, for people who want to experiment with different plugs. Not impossible, not dealer service shop-only, just a giant PITA.

Changing plugs is a very easy, unobstructed job with the GD's. Honda paid some engineer to design these obstructions to discourage the DIYers, and increase dealer service profits. He did a good job.
It takes no more than 15 minutes to change out the plugs, taking off the cowling is easier than it looks.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
In case anyone missed it... you do not need to take anything apart to change the spark plugs, believe me I have done it and I'm not terribly mechanically inclined.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 AM
xm8
ngksparkplugs.com lists the following as the spark plug needed for the GE:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...uv/results.asp

2009 HONDA FIT SPORT 1.5 L4 L15A7 FI

OE Laser Iridium
Part No.: IZFR6K13
Plug Gap: .052
Stock No.: 6774

What brand and type of OEM sparkplug does the GE come with?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xm8
ngksparkplugs.com lists the following as the spark plug needed for the GE:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...uv/results.asp

2009 HONDA FIT SPORT 1.5 L4 L15A7 FI

OE Laser Iridium
Part No.: IZFR6K13
Plug Gap: .052
Stock No.: 6774

What brand and type of OEM sparkplug does the GE come with?
I don't have a GE but I'll bet you they are NGK. Most of the Hondas and Acuras I've purchased in the past 14 years have come with them.

Besides, the NGK site has a BIG HINT: "OE Laser Iridium"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Little Bad News for Mechanically Inclined GE Owners- Spark Plug R&R