Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   My GE8 has died. Does anyone have 2 cents? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/51634-my-ge8-has-died-does-anyone-have-2-cents.html)

IIEZ 12-27-2009 01:12 AM

My GE8 has died. Does anyone have 2 cents?

While driving throughout a 30 degree morning with stop and starting, my last start was deadly. Meaning I went out for another drive and after 10 minutes, the Fit stopped working. It just stalled in the middle of the road. Tried to start it again and no go. Just kept on cranking and not even a catch. As if no fuel was going to the engine. I had a half tank of gas and my buddy gave me a jump when the battery was going low. I figure its no spark or no fuel. I do hear the fuel pump before I start it, but can't verify the spark. Is the fuel line frozen? Spark plugs bad? Have no clue. Does anyone? I towed it to the dealership $150 later :( An 09 Fit with only 16k on it. Hope it is something simple.

kelsodeez 12-27-2009 01:26 AM

did you check all of your fusess?

SEAKAYAKER 12-27-2009 08:01 AM

I haven't heard of fuel lines freezing in years. Still I use the gas line antifreeze when temps hit zero degrees.
I think Kelsodeez is on to something. If the jump start was done wrong.. it could have fried some electronics... Hopefully just a fuse. If you did need a jump start.... maybe your alternator isn't working or maybe you had some faulty electronic work done?? Stereo upgrades, new amps, etc?
Please let us know what's diagnosed. It's scary that this should happen to any car at such low miles.
You have got to let us know what they find?

IIEZ 12-27-2009 09:59 AM

fuses!!

That is the one thing I didn't check. I was too worried about getting my daughter to a warm place. I hope it is that simple. I am leaning something toward more electrical rather than fuel. I will keep you posted. The dealership is not open until tomorrow.

SpoonSportFit 12-27-2009 11:28 AM

kinda sounds like the alternator... same thing happened to my 88 civic, if you have the car and can jump it, get it started then remove off the positive terminal if the car dies then the alternator is possibly bad if not could possibly be the battery, hope you get the problem resolved hate that it happened so suddenly and on something so new.

IIEZ 12-28-2009 06:23 PM

You'll never guess...

Cam sprocket bolt broke. Yup that is right. Dealership does not know the cause of it, but found the cam shaft to be seized. The reason that it was able to turn over is because only the bottom part was moving. Engine is toast. Block can be saved, but the head and everything else has to be replaced, per dealership. $9k to get it fixed.

Here is pic of the bolt they gave me.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ziwWVzKtjxE/Sz...0/cam_bolt.JPG

Note: The car had a rebuilt title from a rear end and the factory warranty expired in April of 09. I am soooo SOL right now.

K20 engine swap??? who knows. I am totally bumbed right now.

TurboManGT 12-28-2009 06:43 PM

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck!!!

hondaFORlife 12-28-2009 06:45 PM

damnn wtf.. good luck man.. k series ftw~!

edit- didnt see that it was a ge8.

gimme 12-28-2009 08:43 PM

isnt the drive train 60k? or did you exceed that?

Stevens24 12-28-2009 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by gimme (Post 792472)
isnt the drive train 60k? or did you exceed that?

Salvaged title warranty is void.

gimme 12-29-2009 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stevens24 (Post 792520)
Salvaged title warranty is void.

aahhhh, sorry for the misunderstanding.

555sexydrive 12-29-2009 12:43 AM

$9000 for a L head? WTF is that dealer smoking? Even with labor charges it should not be anything near that expensive. You could buy an unused K for less than that or a crated prepped K motor for that easily.

Good luck to you in whatever direction you proceed. I definitely wouldn't be paying a dealer $9000 for a new L head and labor though.

EDIT: Ok just looked at Majestic Honda's parts page and a new L head costs...

4910084001001ENGINE SUB-ASSY., CYLINDER HEAD 2560.661818.07Qty:

Retail price is $2560.66 and their price is 1818.07. I would be going back to the dealer and demanding what the hell would the other $7181.93 be for?

beangrower 12-29-2009 02:59 PM

K-series for sure. You should find out how the guy in japan or china did his swap. I saw pics of it somewhere on one of there blogs. I'll see if I can scoop it up.

IIEZ 01-13-2010 10:55 AM

Fit is sold

I ended up selling the Fit back to guy I bought from. Lost 5k from the whole deal, but it was so convenient for me.

He was able to find another engine and is going to sell it. Oh well, I couldn't do that, from what I know what the car has been thru.

Also he opened up the original engine and he says he found glass inside the engine. Then he called me and said, "What are you doing putting glass in your engine?" I said,"WTF are you talking about?! Why would I put glass in my engine?"

It was so stupid and of course he says that it wasn't from the time he sold it to me the first time. I think it was from the accident the first time.

Hopefully I will be back sometime on this forum with another Fit.

Schadenfreude 01-14-2010 11:36 AM

Sounds fishy. I wonder if this car/engine had more than just a rear end accident? The cam is under the valve cover which is right under the front edge of the windshield.

Theory:
Car gets in front end collision.
Valve cover and windshield are smashed.
Glass from broken windshield falls into engine through broken valve cover.
Cam sprocket bolt is either damaged during accident or over torqued by mechanic during repair.
Bolt finally breaks one cold winter day.

IIEZ 01-14-2010 12:29 PM

theory

I like your theory. That might be right on. Maybe also the intake box was out or cracked and glass got in there. The whole thing is fishy and of course the seller did not tell me that.

I wouldn't mind buying a salvage car again, because it is good deal, but you have to see the pictures before hand and decide from there.

linnboi 04-16-2012 05:54 PM

get a motor from ebay !

Speedlimitz 04-16-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by linnboi (Post 1091830)
get a motor from ebay !

2 years behind homes

Jred 04-16-2012 07:50 PM

:rotfl: Apparently so...

Originally Posted by Speedlimitz (Post 1091850)
2 years behind homes