2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Transmission Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Charly
Thank you for confirming.
My English is just acceptable and understanding forum messages is not always so easy. Best regards.
I was just joking. Have a good day.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Thanks guys about filter:I talked to a Honda mechanic - he does not know about external transmission filter. Today i got filter from Honda($34) and followed the procedure to replace the filter, and noticed that those 3 small hoses on upper left corner of air filter box are not necessary to remove(too much pain to get to them). Instead, only 1 clamp I had to squeeze and pull one hose to remove the air filter box. The location is circled on the picture. But to remove it easy and not to stretch any hoses I had to squeeze the clamp with one hand(because this hose is too short) and pool the box aside with another; to install I had to use third hand asking my son to help to make it easy. I hope my comment will help to somebody.Name:  IMG_0054_zpsarze6fnd.jpg
Views: 10059
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by Mr. Alex; 02-24-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 AM
One more picture to see what is left after box removal
Name:  IMG_0042_zpslu6gbf4i.jpg
Views: 10281
Size:  120.5 KB

Last edited by Mr. Alex; 02-24-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
One more picture to see what is left after box removal
Great posting and photographs to both gentlemen! Hondas are great and well built cars; however transmissions have long haunted Honda owners. At my former import shop, we flushed Honda transmissions using ONLY their fluid. Before Honda adapted thus external filter, the shop owner and a previous Honda Master Tech began installing inline filters on the return line. I believe Raybestos sold them and they were manufactured in Australia. Thery were pleated paper fiber type with a small magnet. We changed them out every 15-20 miles as a preventive measure. Now having a Honda after a 10 hiatus, great to know Honda has their own filter. Price isn't that much of a difference between the after market and Honda's brand.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Can be done without disconnecting battery!

I just replaced my transmission filter this weekend. I was able to remove it with out disconnecting the battery. This way you don't have the hassle of reprogramming your radio. Also if you misplaced your radio activation code, this would also save you that hassle. Just unattach the clamp holding down the battery and tilt the entire battery it forward towards the front of the car. It helps to have a buddy help you tilt the battery while you carefully maneuver the air box out.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by springboard
I just replaced my transmission filter this weekend. I was able to remove it with out disconnecting the battery. This way you don't have the hassle of reprogramming your radio. Also if you misplaced your radio activation code, this would also save you that hassle. Just unattach the clamp holding down the battery and tilt the entire battery it forward towards the front of the car. It helps to have a buddy help you tilt the battery while you carefully maneuver the air box out.

Good point, but if you worry about radio then without hassle of tilting battery(you might spill some liquid of it) and using a buddy have any kind and size of 12V battery (some such accessories you can buy in a store and plug into car's power plug with key position in ACC) so your batteries will be in parallel; then disconnect car's battery. Your extra battery will have enough power for radio, clock, computer, etc. Of course have air blower, lights, etc. turned off if extra battery is of very small size.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Good post.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Great tutorial, just did this to my '12 fit sport with no issues.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Replacing the transmission filter on a 08 Fit Sport

Dealer told me it was internal and not user serviceable.
Now that I seen this post, I realize they are full of it.
I plan to buy one from amazon that's OEM ..same model as shown,
thanks.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by niko3257
it should be pretty much the same.
going to get one from Amazon,,20.00 or so.
Thanks.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 AM
I just did this on the wife's 2012 with 31K. Kinda sucked all the stuff you have to remove to get to the filter, stupid actually, but glad it's done. I replaced exactly 3 quarts as I measured what came out. Very little spilled out of the filter removal - just a few drops. Did this warm to hot right after a drive per the shop manual. The manual also called for this service every 30K. Old fluid was brown, but didn't smell burnt. Cut open filter and nothing of interest. Radio code is on a sticker in the glove box. Stations were retained. Only needed to set the clock. Used the Honda OEM filter. Less than $20 on-line.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

Alco RS-1's Airbox Removed for ATF Filter Change

Alco RS-1's ATF Drain Plug at 54,990 Miles

At 55,985 Miles, I worked my ATF and ATF Filter change today and came to post an alternative way to remove the airbox and found that Mr. Alex worked it the same way I did. Just the one hose connection does the trick, plus the MAF electrical connection.

A photo of my ATF Drain plug is attached as well and it did it's job. I did the simple drain and fill. My fluid was a sort of dirty brown tea color. I let it drip drain for five hours and with Filter Change, about 3.3 to 3.4 QT drained out which surprised me because I expected 2.6 QT per factory specifications. Afterwards, I spent quite a while with a hot engine and hot ATF getting the level just right and it took about 3.5 QT. I'll check it again tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Transmission Filter-80-2016_08_13_honda_fit_with_airbox_removed_b47670070238c36fddefeefb8b3fa51d11a1d16e.jpg   DIY Transmission Filter-80-2016_08_13_honda_fit_at_magnetic_drain_plug_e95112875ba7dda0db0ac3daf9f67cf94c4ff5bb.jpg  

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 08-13-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
If it helps anybody, hydraulic filters are available in lots of sizes from tractor shops.
Same style filter, available in lager can sizes if you wanted to just go bigger.
Just make sure you tell them it uses ATF not tractor fluid. (Tractor fluid is a real thing BTW)

Old 02-05-2017, 03:05 PM
I tried the transmission filter above, and I am having a really hard time removing the hose from the filter. How did you guys remove it from the filter? Besides, the clip under the filter is really hard to reach.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Hi. I am a new member here. I was tried to do the above procedure, and I am having a really hard time removing a hose from the filter. It is extremely tight. Besides, the clip under the filter is extremely hard to reach. How did you guys do this filter change?

Old 02-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Makoto Yamaguchi
Hi. I am a new member here. I was tried to do the above procedure, and I am having a really hard time removing a hose from the filter. It is extremely tight. Besides, the clip under the filter is extremely hard to reach. How did you guys do this filter change?
just use pliers to grip the hose, give it a counterclockwise twist will break the seal then twist the filter back and forth to remove it.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PhitAzz
just use pliers to grip the hose, give it a counterclockwise twist will break the seal then twist the filter back and forth to remove it.
The hoses and clamps were a bit of a pain for me too. I had a pick set from Harbor tool. I carefully pushed a 90 degree angled pick under the hose end and ran it around the hose end. It's basically breaking the seal a different way. Either way, just be careful to not damage the hose. Be patient and persistent... No lawn mower pulls! Haha

Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Piece of Cake

Just did this......was pretty easy.

Hoses are hard to remove, but very easy to put back on.

Make sure you slide that intake horn all the way to the left when you put the air assembly back in.

The 2 hose fittings go through the loop of that other hose.......when you're doing this you'll know what I mean.

THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT TUTORIAL!!!!!!!!!!!

z

Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Makoto Yamaguchi
I tried the transmission filter above, and I am having a really hard time removing the hose from the filter. How did you guys remove it from the filter? Besides, the clip under the filter is really hard to reach.
1. It helps to have a large needle nose plier....and a 90 degree bent one.

2. If you put a pair of pliers on that hose and try to turn it.....it will break loose.

3. Putting it back on is a piece of cake.....make sure it goes on all the way.

z

Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Fit Sport
One of the things that annoys me is that Honda does not print a comprehensive maintenance schedule in their 340+ page Owner's Manual. Instead, they refer us to the "Maintenance Minder" and a brief description of the service codes. Nowhere does the manual even mention that the trans fluid filter exists.

So there I was at 122,000 miles and I decided that it was about time to change the spark plugs. (First plug change in 7 years and they looked nearly new.) After tearing the engine compartment apart in order to gain access to the spark plugs, I looked down and... WTF? Is that a filter? I went online and confirmed that it was definitely for the transmission oil. After installing the plugs, I called two local Honda dealers but they had no stock and denied any knowledge that the filter existed. One local auto parts store had a Wix filter but the end connections were 1/4" (too small). I ended up re-assembling the engine components and installing a Beck Arnley filter a few weeks later. Beck Arnley 044-0382 ~$13.00. Fits many models of Fit, Civic, Accord, Odyssey and Acura from 2006 - 2013.

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Filter