2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Blown Coilover Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Blown Coilover Rebuild?

Hey guys i am pretty sure my right rear coilover is blown, it is leaking oil all over the shock body and i just noticed this. They are buddyclub N+ coilovers and was wondering what i should do about it?
can they be rebuilt or is it possible to buy a single shock from buddyclub?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Get in contact with Buddyclub, iirc you haven't had those coilovers very long. They should send you a replacement and will probably have you send back the broken one.

I don't know about Buddyclub warranty but if they don't take care of it for you that's pretty bad.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.

I don't know about Buddyclub warranty but if they don't take care of it for you that's pretty bad.

+2. coilovers are alot of money to blow, and a shitty company if they don't realize that with some kind of warranty.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the input guys, i messaged the local shop that i bought them from because they are very helpful and he says that he has emailed buddyclub asking for more information on what can be done. Hopefully warranty covers it, when i get home tonight i am going to read the warranty card that came with the product.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
damn that sucks.. how old are they? they better replace!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
If there isn't enough spring travel due to putting too much pre load on the springs and setting damping action at the stiffest setting to control the overly compressed travel, there isn't much hope for any brand of struts or shocks lasting for any length of time....

Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
damn that sucks.. how old are they? they better replace!!!
They are about 5-6 months old maybe 7 at most.
They have been daily driven however

If there isn't enough spring travel due to putting too much pre load on the springs and setting damping action at the stiffest setting to control the overly compressed travel, there isn't much hope for any brand of struts or shocks lasting for any length of time....
the shocks weren't set to the hardest setting however. They have been at about half way. But i understand what you are saying, the lower the car the harder the suspension works. I am just kinda bummed that the one is leaking and its still fairly new.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RetroAttack
They are about 5-6 months old maybe 7 at most.
They have been daily driven however

the shocks weren't set to the hardest setting however. They have been at about half way. But i understand what you are saying, the lower the car the harder the suspension works. I am just kinda bummed that the one is leaking and its still fairly new.
I have had the same N+ kit on my GD-3 since November so I'm pulling for you on getting a replacement at no cost... I have one of the same problems as the famous Texan, Hank "King of the Hill" Hill.. My urethra is fine but I have diminished glutes.. In other words a tired old saggy ass.. This problem and having removed the rear seats have me setting the damping on the rear at the 3rd from softest position... Their is no way that you can preload the rear springs , just set them higher or lower... I forgot about that before I made my post you responded to.... I think there must have been something wrong with the rear shock that has gone bad, the rear springs are matched in travel to the shocks... It is possible to mess up the front shocks though.