2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Windshield Trim piece is missing

Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Windshield Trim piece is missing

Just noticed a section of windshield trim is gone. It’s the part that fits over the lower right (passenger side) of the windshield, probably about 11’ long, narrow on the top part and then wider as it fits around the lower right corner.

Have no idea how or when this happened and the windshield has never been replaced.

Assume the piece just snaps on?

Have viewed a few parts diagrams, but cannot identify the part. Any idea as to what diagram I should be searching and/or the specific part number?

Thanks.

(not a good month for the FIT )

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
My car is missing the same exact piece! I remember hearing it fly off on the highway a couple months back. I have just been too lazy to find another one. Hopefully someone will know the part # and ill get one too haha.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
If you have a 2009 and got the service done for the Lost Motion Spring recall I'm 100% sure the dealership broke it. After I had my service done I checked the cowl clips and all, and they were secure. Well this past week while I was washing her I noticed the same piece you're missing loose, I pulled it and checked it and sure enough the clip was broken, they'd actually stuffed some paper to keep it secure instead of replacing the clip. They also broke some clips on the front cowl cover, and stripped some of the gears on the driver side wiper, along with gouging the cowl in that section. Not to mention the scratches in the paint right in those areas on . So I'm going to speak to the service manager, and at this point I'd rather they just give me the replacement parts to install myself.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by FitStir
If you have a 2009 and got the service done for the Lost Motion Spring recall I'm 100% sure the dealership broke it. After I had my service done I checked the cowl clips and all, and they were secure. Well this past week while I was washing her I noticed the same piece you're missing loose, I pulled it and checked it and sure enough the clip was broken, they'd actually stuffed some paper to keep it secure instead of replacing the clip. They also broke some clips on the front cowl cover, and stripped some of the gears on the driver side wiper, along with gouging the cowl in that section. Not to mention the scratches in the paint right in those areas on . So I'm going to speak to the service manager, and at this point I'd rather they just give me the replacement parts to install myself.
I have a 2010 and had the "Lost Motion" recall performed in April 2011. Invoice says "completed inspection per bulletin 11-010, no repairs needed".

The big question: does this inspection (whatever it is?) require the removal of the missing trim piece?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
The inspection itself I don't believe requires the removal of the cowl.

But the LMS recall does, it's a very common problem to those of us who had the recall done. Quite a few threads on the issue. Check this thread ---> Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM
The inspection itself I don't believe requires the removal of the cowl.

But the LMS recall does, it's a very common problem to those of us who had the recall done. Quite a few threads on the issue. Check this thread ---> Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

WOW!!! very much appreciate the info..

My invoice says "Perform Lost Motion Recall per bulletin 11-011" Then it goes on to say "completed inspection per bulletin, no repairs needed".
However under Parts it lists: QTY 1; number 04148-RK8-305 (which apparently is the lost motion spring kit).

I checked the cowl fasteners, etc (as described on ultrawolf's post) and found a hole on the far left (passenger side) where "it appears", the cowl should be secured with a plasitic push fastener to the metal beneath it. The cowl seems to be a bit loose in that section. This loose section sits directly below the missing piece (the pieces actually butt up against each other).

It now seems likely that the missing part was removed during the recall "inspection" and possibly not secured correctly when reinstalled (or it loosened up over time because the loose cowl)

Wonder if I would be wasting my time talking to the dealer? (its been over a year since the inspection was performed).

Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Glad I could help.

Originally Posted by valk97
Wonder if I would be wasting my time talking to the dealer? (its been over a year since the inspection was performed).
I thought about that for a split-second, and decided against it, they did the mandatory recall, they broke the clips, they are responsible. If they refuse to fix it, next step is to call Honda America, if they still don't want to fix it, file a BBB complaint. It doesn't matter how long it's been. You didn't break it so why pay for it to get fixed, and seeing as your GE8 is a 2010 you're probably still under warranty regardless.

I'd rather Honda just give me the parts and let me fix it myself, atleast I won't chip or scratch my paint like they did.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Glad I could help.

I thought about that for a split-second, and decided against it, they did the mandatory recall, they broke the clips, they are responsible. If they refuse to fix it, next step is to call Honda America, if they still don't want to fix it, file a BBB complaint. It doesn't matter how long it's been. You didn't break it so why pay for it to get fixed, and seeing as your GE8 is a 2010 you're probably still under warranty regardless.

I'd rather Honda just give me the parts and let me fix it myself, atleast I won't chip or scratch my paint like they did.

Nope, no longer under warranty.. have 43k; otherwise I would have taken it in in a heartbeat, not only for this issue, but for the HVAC motor and motor resistor I just replaced.

I "think" I found the correct part for the windshield trim piece..

74222-TK6-A00 “cover, passenger hood hinge”

Surprisingly, it’s less than $10 at the closest dealer. Given the low cost, I would prefer to just pay the $10 and be done with it.

(side note... those 5 year 60K bumper to bumper factory warranties offered by Hyundai and others, are looking better and better to me).

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
After all this talk....

I just made an appointment with a dealership (not the one that did the recall, but they've done some service on my car, and were superb). I told them that they didn't do the recall service, but I didn't trust bringing it back to the original dealership (who broke the clips, scratched up the cowl & damaged the driver side wiper in the first place). They told me they would inspect it, and let me know what needs to get repaired before they repair/replace anything. I told them the warranty expired in January, and they also told me that because it was damaged during the LMS recall it will be of no charge to me at all.

So it's looking good for me.

The service manager told me that regardless of whether or not you're still covered under warranty since it was damaged during a recall service it's covered. I'd check to see if there's more clips damaged or other damage... if it's just a $10 fix I wouldn't bring it in either, but my driver's wiper is also damaged so I'm not letting this one go. Good thing there's atleast 1 decent dealer service center by me.

As for the Hyundai warranty, I believe there's a reason why they offer so long of a warranty. IMO, they're crappy cars... especially seeing how several of my neighbor's Hyundai's are holding up (all under 5 yrs old). I'm ok with a few minor Honda issues, cause I know this Fit will last me 15+ yrs easily.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
As for the Hyundai warranty, I believe there's a reason why they offer so long of a warranty. IMO, they're crappy cars... especially seeing how several of my neighbor's Hyundai's are holding up (all under 5 yrs old). I'm ok with a few minor Honda issues, cause I know this Fit will last me 15+ yrs easily.
I think a little differently about car manufacturers that offer 5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranties.
It tells me they are not afraid to offer such a warranty. It tells me they are confident of the reliability and workmanship of their cars (otherwise wouldn’t they risk losing money doing warranty work?).

Many Hyundai's rate very, very well and, in many cases, better than comparable Honda's and Toyota's.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Many Hyundai's rate very, very well and, in many cases, better than comparable Honda's and Toyota's.
Thank you!! You just gotta love the people who don't yet realize that Hyundai is on par to Honda and Toyota these days, and often better. The mentality is part ignorance and part brainwashing. Why do you think Honda is doing catchup these days in terms of quality and design?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
It cost me $40 parts and labor to replace the same. I also think the dealer somehow broke the piece during the recall repair. I only checked the cowl under the hood, and never thought to check the missing trim piece. Anyway, the labor took actually longer than 1 hour (more then what the service adviser estimated) because the mechanic had to pull the whole cowl first, then replace the missing trim and put back the cowl together again.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
It cost me $40 parts and labor to replace the same. I also think the dealer somehow broke the piece during the recall repair. I only checked the cowl under the hood, and never thought to check the missing trim piece. Anyway, the labor took actually longer than 1 hour (more then what the service adviser estimated) because the mechanic had to pull the whole cowl first, then replace the missing trim and put back the cowl together again.
Questions, questions, questions…

You have to remove the cowl to replace the trim piece???

So even though the part was busted in during the recall work, you had to pay $40 to get it fixed?

And if you had to pay, why was it “only” $40? An hour or so labor is usually a hell of a lot more than $30 (assuming the part costs $10)

Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Questions, questions, questions…

You have to remove the cowl to replace the trim piece???

So even though the part was busted in during the recall work, you had to pay $40 to get it fixed?

And if you had to pay, why was it “only” $40? An hour or so labor is usually a hell of a lot more than $30 (assuming the part costs $10)
I could NOT prove that the piece was broken due to the recall repair work. I did not notice the missing piece until few weeks after the repair. The mechanic had to remove the cowl to properly seat the missing trim piece. $40 was what the adviser quote me before the work and he stuck to the price even though it took a lot longer than 1 hour of actual work.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
I could NOT prove that the piece was broken due to the recall repair work. I did not notice the missing piece until few weeks after the repair. The mechanic had to remove the cowl to properly seat the missing trim piece. $40 was what the adviser quote me before the work and he stuck to the price even though it took a lot longer than 1 hour of actual work.
Took the car to the dealer today to get a new key cut and programmed.

While there, I pointed out to the service rep, the missing trim piece on the bottom corner of the windshield and the missing cowl fastener under the hood and told him I thought it was a result of the recall work done last year for the spring thingy. He didn’t act like it was a big deal and w/o further discussion, they ended up installing a new trim piece and cowl fastener at no charge. (part 74222-TK6-A00 “cover, passenger hood hinge”). The service rep said the part just snapped right in and I it took just a minute to install. My opinion of the Bommarito Honda Service Department in Hazelwood MO, has now gone up a few notches.

Now if it wasn’t for that $137 I had to pay for the key and programming, I would be a real happy camper. (Actually, I hear $137 may be cheap compared to some other types of car keys that cost over $200.)

Old 10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
I just noticed my driver side hood hinge cover is missing, and whatever it was fastened to underneath appeared to have been mangled when the hinge cover tore off. At this point it's been over three years since the LMS recall so I'm not certain I can pin this on the dealer work. In addition to the OP, any other experiences with this happening?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 AM
It looks like it is part number 19 on this page. Honda online store : 2009 fit engine hood parts Do you also need part number 28, the clip?

Old 11-30-2014, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AuctionHugh
It looks like it is part number 19 on this page. Honda online store : 2009 fit engine hood parts Do you also need part number 28, the clip?

I lost the same item on our 09. I just ordered a new one from Honda. I comes with the push nut clip) and installed in 30 seconds. It was fairly cheap. $10.00 or $12.00 IIRC.

Last edited by n9cv; 11-30-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by doctorz
I just noticed my driver side hood hinge cover is missing, and whatever it was fastened to underneath appeared to have been mangled when the hinge cover tore off. At this point it's been over three years since the LMS recall so I'm not certain I can pin this on the dealer work. In addition to the OP, any other experiences with this happening?
Very common occurence

Originally Posted by AuctionHugh
Clip is not needed, part comes with one already attached

Old 04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Driver side part number is 74212-TK6-A00

Just happened to me yesterday. Lost it on freeway - yes, I was speeding and by quite a bit. Even caught the thing flying off on the dash cam. Cost 9 bucks Canadian. Local Honda dealer actually had one.

Called "driver hood hinge cover". I noticed whistling sound. That's what got me looking around for cause of noise. Gotta love dash cams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Trim piece is missing