2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Impact Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Impact Wrench

can anyone recommend a good impact wrench around $150-200? i would be interested in a cordless or corded one. I don't own an air compressor so the air wrenches are out. I would like to be able to use it to remove lug nuts and on minor things around the house.

I already own a dewalt drill with 18v batteries, but i'm reading the dewalts aren't that great.

what do u guys think?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Dewalt 1/2" battery powered impact. I've had it for years and use it frequently on all kinds of vehicles. The only thing is it will not remove lug nuts torqued over about 150 foot pounds. Other than that is is a great tool. I have no idea what one costs today.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Since you already have a Dewalt 18V system, take a look at DC825B or DC823B

DEWALT Bare-Tool DC825B 1/4-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Driver - Amazon.com DEWALT Bare-Tool DC825B 1/4-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Driver - Amazon.com

DEWALT Bare-Tool DC823B 3/8-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com DEWALT Bare-Tool DC823B 3/8-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com

I have air tool/hang tool but there are times the cordless power tool is more practical. I just purchased this and haven't used it. From the review it seems it is a great tool for $80 to $100 range.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a blue Makita and its pretty good. Downside is that the batteries are expensive. The tool is pretty good though. A cheaper alternative is a craftsman nextec. I have one of those too, it came in a set and the batteries are cheaper, but for whatever reason I end up using the makita more. I'll say with father's day around the corner, now is a good time to buy since you can score some good sales.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
the dewalt 18v impact guns are garbage. we have some 12v lithium impact guns and they are about the same strength. i recently bought some 20v lithium for work but i haven't used them yet :scared:

i bought the $45 harbor freight corded impact wrench and it kicks fucking ass. it removes axle nuts like nothing. I'd definitely recommend it to anybody.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by martymcfly
Since you already have a Dewalt 18V system, take a look at DC825B or DC823B

DEWALT Bare-Tool DC825B 1/4-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Driver - Amazon.com

DEWALT Bare-Tool DC823B 3/8-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com

I have air tool/hang tool but there are times the cordless power tool is more practical. I just purchased this and haven't used it. From the review it seems it is a great tool for $80 to $100 range.
i was lookin at those, but the torque is real low. how about this one?

Shop DEWALT Bare Tool 18-Volt 1/2-in Drive Cordless Impact Wrench at Lowes.com

Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the dewalt 18v impact guns are garbage. we have some 12v lithium impact guns and they are about the same strength. i recently bought some 20v lithium for work but i haven't used them yet :scared:

i bought the $45 harbor freight corded impact wrench and it kicks fucking ass. it removes axle nuts like nothing. I'd definitely recommend it to anybody.
what makes them garbage? i think i'm gonna give them a shot, if they suck and can't get my lugs off, i'm just gonna get a corded tool.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
what makes them garbage? i think i'm gonna give them a shot, if they suck and can't get my lugs off, i'm just gonna get a corded tool.
they wouldnt even remove some bolts that we torqued to 30ft/lbs.

i just saw the one you just posted, it looks more beefy than the ones we usually use. it could be okay, but honestly, my harbor freight corded one is pretty awesome.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
For $200, with a bit of shopping around, you could get a compressor, a hose, and an inexpensive pneumatic impact wrench. The compressor wouldn't be the biggest or best (particularly if new, though you may be able to find a pretty decent one on CL or whatever), and probably wouldn't hold up to painting an entire car very well, but it would be more than sufficient for an impact wrench, blow gun, tire filler, and small bits of painting.

Just something to think about....

Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers

I asked for one for Father's Day after borrowing my friends' Harbor Freight guns for years and it never failed to impress.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Been eyeing them Dewalts for a little while now, but most say they're weak.

Was going to buy one of those cheapy Husky pneumatic one from Home Depot, but my compressor conked out on me. Gotta find a fix for it, I've read it happens to many Porto-Cable pancake compressors.

Gonna look in to that harbor freight one mentioned.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

thats the one i have.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
well i bought the dewalt i linked above. my batteries fit fine and got most of the bolts out except for the security nuts i over torqued when i put them in last year. made my tire removal quick.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I've been using Dewalt 3/8 drive 20v cordless impact wrench for few weeks. As others said, it's max torque is about 150 lb.ft. But for at home use, it's fine. I used it to loosen lug nuts and engine mount nuts. The only nut it failed to loosen was crank case pulley nut that required nearly 7 foot pipe + cheater bar to loosen. I like it's balance and weight. Pretty compact too.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
can anyone recommend a good impact wrench around $150-200? i would be interested in a cordless or corded one. I don't own an air compressor so the air wrenches are out. I would like to be able to use it to remove lug nuts and on minor things around the house.

I already own a dewalt drill with 18v batteries, but i'm reading the dewalts aren't that great.

what do u guys think?
The BEST CORDLESS Impact Wrench at that price is of course MAKITA
I just bought them for installing my Bilstein,
and they are SO POWERFUL !

You could open your lug nut wheel if you want to with them

I already have other Makita cordless tool so I don't have to buy any battery and charger that is why I could just buy the impact wrench only and get them very cheap for just $162.99 at Amazon.

This model BTW450Z (The "Z" indicate just the impact wrench tools without battery or charger or case).
Bare-Tool Makita BTW450Z High Torque Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com Bare-Tool Makita BTW450Z High Torque Impact Wrench (Tool Only, No Battery) - Amazon.com

if you want to buy them with Battery and Charger the model will be BTW450 (without Z),
and it is quite costly at: $368.99...
here is the link:
Makita BTW450 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench Kit - Amazon.com Makita BTW450 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench Kit - Amazon.com

Take note that this is the most powerful Cordless Impact Wrench from Makita, at it use 1/2in socket,
there are less powerful one from Makita with just 3/8in socket.

I heard those 3/8in is good too, just not as powerful as the 1/2in one.

oh by the way, the only weakness of this 1/2in BTW450Z that I had is
the switch is either on full power or off, it is not adjustable,
so this is only for heavy duty work.

I heard the 3/8in Makita Impact wrench had adjustable speed switch,
so if you don't need high power, then those 3/8in one is better.

here is the spec from Amazon for BTW450Z:
  • Makita-built motor delivers 325 ft.lbs. of max torque,1,600 RPM and 2,200 IPM for superior fastening power
  • Compact, ergonomic design at 10-1/2-Inches long, weighs 7.5 pounds
  • Large rocker switch, built-in LED, large tool hook, shock-absorbent handle to protect the battery housing
  • LXT lithium-ion battery, Energy Star 30-minute rapid optimum charger produces 430% total lifetime work, 2.5X more cycles
  • 3-year warranty on tool, 1-year warranty on batteries and charger.

oh, and last is, My Makita BTW450Z is still MADE IN JAPAN !!!

Good Luck

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 06-10-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Best tool for anything is the one that does the job and doesn't leave you broke. Much like the best software in the market is the one you know how to use. Just my take!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Best tool for anything is the one that does the job and doesn't leave you broke. Much like the best software in the market is the one you know how to use. Just my take!
Well, for Impact Wrench that can surely open most lug/nut/bolts,
it is better to buy the more powerful one,
because

First, if you buy a weak one, it is not cheap in the first place already,
and impact wrench is not like software that can be upgraded by simply reinstalling the software, but you got to buy another unit if you need a stronger one. That is going to cost more.

Second, a good quality impact wrench could last you a very very long time
and no need to upgrade like software since it is a mechanical things,
so it is better to buy good one that last forever and be there when you need it the most,
then stuck in the middle of a job with a broken impact wrench.
remember impact wrench can not be fix/patch "online" like software

Third,
do you have any recommendation for the starter of this thread of a good quality impact wrench that will satisfy his requirement and doesn't leave him broke ?
(remember he already owned a dewalt drill with 18v batteries, which mean he is looking to get a better (Stronger,More Reliable, etc etc) alternative than his dewalt and for sure his current dewalt is NOT cheap and is NOT bad by any standard).
oh one more thing the starter of this thread wrote another requirement for the tools :
"I would like to be able to use it to remove lug nuts and on minor things around the house."

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 06-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
hey

Ryu,

You live in Union....head to RT 22 and check out Harbor Freight. I picked up an electric impact wrench 2 yrs ago and it has made taking the wheels so easy.

Its corded and as strong as my air compressor-powered unit. Got it to reduce noise and to save time.\

I goes for $70 but they have a coupon out so that it comes out to $40.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
@ BMW, point taken. We've all been in been there done that-type (most of us) situations. Unless you're in the profession or using the tool a lot, we all end up with expensive paper weights on the shelves and tool boxes. Around the house, most projects that cost a few $ end up $$$ because we have the best tools to do it with. Just me! Of course this is just a generalization and there are and will always be exceptions. We can always rationalize our decisions no matter what. My recommendation stands...

Last edited by Subie; 06-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Impact Wrench