2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Recommendations for A12 DIY maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Recommendations for A12 DIY maintenance

Hi everyone,

Looks like it is time for another maintenance on the FIT. I got A12 which popped up few days ago. As I understand, A12 means :
  • Replace engine oil.
  • Replace air cleaner element.
  • Replace dust and pollen filter.
  • Inspect and adjust drive belt.
I guess most of the items I can do myself. I already bought the oil, I can buy a cabin filter as well as an air filter online or at the autopart store. My questions are :
  1. Don't I need to change the oil filter as well ? All the cars I ever owned, I changed the oil filter at the same time as I was changing the oil. I am putting the same oil (5W20 Castrol GTX) as I did on my last oil change. Should I at least remove the oil filter to remove the used oil in it and then put it back in ?
  2. Any recommendations for cabin filter ? I hear about FRAM Breeze with A&A on TV...any good ?
  3. Any recommendations for engine air filter ? I heard about K&N filters...
  4. About the drive belt...I'm no mechanic. Is this easy to verify ? I guess it is only to check if the belt is cracked, but I don't know which belt to check and if it is easy to do. I don't have a lift. I don't mind taking it to the dealer to check this, but if I can learn to do it myself and learn more about my car, I would love it.
Thanks!

Neo.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spookyneo
Hi everyone,

Looks like it is time for another maintenance on the FIT. I got A12 which popped up few days ago. As I understand, A12 means :
  • Replace engine oil.
  • Replace air cleaner element.
  • Replace dust and pollen filter.
  • Inspect and adjust drive belt.
I guess most of the items I can do myself. I already bought the oil, I can buy a cabin filter as well as an air filter online or at the autopart store. My questions are :
  1. Don't I need to change the oil filter as well ? All the cars I ever owned, I changed the oil filter at the same time as I was changing the oil. I am putting the same oil (5W20 Castrol GTX) as I did on my last oil change. Should I at least remove the oil filter to remove the used oil in it and then put it back in ?
  2. Any recommendations for cabin filter ? I hear about FRAM Breeze with A&A on TV...any good ?
  3. Any recommendations for engine air filter ? I heard about K&N filters...
  4. About the drive belt...I'm no mechanic. Is this easy to verify ? I guess it is only to check if the belt is cracked, but I don't know which belt to check and if it is easy to do. I don't have a lift. I don't mind taking it to the dealer to check this, but if I can learn to do it myself and learn more about my car, I would love it.
Thanks!

Neo.
Stay with 5w-20 and Castrol is good or if you want to upgrade to full synthetic try Pennzoil Platinum. It's like $24.00 for a 5 quart jug at wal mart.(that is if you live in states).

I would go with the OEM Honda cabin filter or look into a WIX if they make one.

I highly recommend to change the oil filter with a new one every time you change the oil. The most readily available and highest quality oil filters for normal change intervals would be:
1. Wix
2. Purolator Pure One
3. Purolator Classic
4. Napa Gold (which is a Purolator Pure One)
5. Honda OEM - only if you can't find any of the above filters

I would just inspect the belts for cracks or dryness.If you have more than a 100K I would replace. If you're pretty handy and have an extra person helping it's not hard otherwise if you're not sure just take it to the Honda dealer for this service.

Lastly, the K & N drop in air element filter is a great choice. It gets a little more air flow. You can also clean it, re-oil and keep using it for the life of the car. K & N sells a recharger kit for about $11.00 to $12.00 which comes with the oil and cleaner sprays. If you want the traditional paper air go with the Honda OEM. You can never go wrong with OEM however there are better choices in regards some of the fluids and replacement parts.

Hope that helped...good luck!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Replace the oil filter as well, I also recommend Wix. K&N filter is overpriced and a waste of money. Castrol oil is AOK with me.

Yes just check the belt for cracks and push on it a little to make sure it's tight, you shouldn't be able to push it in very much. If it were dangerously loose you'd hear it.

For engine air and cabin filter i'd go with Wix as well. Better quality than Fram but not as expensive as OEM. If you want to jump to a high flow filter get an AFE dry flow if you don't want to deal with oiling. I use a K&N oiled but I don't mind doing the oiling once a year or so.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you gents for these recommendations.

Regarding the belt, is it better to inspect it from below the car when changing the oil ? I opened up the hood today and the belt isn't really visible/accessible from the top. I found this video on Google, and I think the camera is from below the car : Check the Belts: 2009-2013 Honda Fit - 2010 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L 4 Cyl.

Thanks !

Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Banned
K&N FTW and you will never have to buy another filter. You probably won't get a better look at the belt from underneath.

I always change both the oil and filter it is cheap insurance.

With a COLD engine just run your fingers along the inside side of the belt feeling for cut or missing chunks. On the front side push in on the longest section you can get to that is not on the pulleys and see how far it moves in and out. (should be less that about 1/2 inch).