2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Front bumper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Unhappy Front bumper replacement

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've seen mention of both bumper and bumper cover's in reference to the Fit's bumper. I managed to back out into a pole this morning, damaging my front bumper.

Fortunately, it is still drivable without issue as far as I can tell, but I want to get this repaired as soon as I can. Being that I've never had to make any real repairs or modifications to the vehicle, this is all new to me and I would appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like it popped out with scratches. Cant tell if it cracked or not

Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Usually bumpers aren't that hard to uninstall/re-install. Looks like it just came unclipped from the side.

As long as you didn't break the fasteners it should just pop back into place. There is also a screw that fastens it to the quarter panel. You may need a new screw if it got lost.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 PM
As the others said, it's a pretty straightforward task to remove and replace the bumper cover (which is the plastic piece here). There are screws from the quarter panel/fender, a bunch of plastic push pin connectors along the top and bottom, and possibly a couple of screws also along the top and bottom edges—I can't remember that part. None of these are particularly hidden. There are also several friction fit connectors, particularly around the headlights, that just require a quite strong pull to disengage. It's all quite doable by one person. I would suggest laying down a blanket or big piece of cardboard or something in front of the car to set the bumper cover on so you don't further scratch it on the driveway or floor (assuming a typical garage or driveway).

I wouldn't be surprised if the screw connector for the fender connection is damaged. You could probably jury-rig something to hold it on securely even if it is, assuming you are reusing the cover. Scratches and minor cracks don't really affect the safety of the bumper system—they're just cosmetic problems, and only you know how much that would bother you. The crash safety mainly comes from crush structures underneath the outer cover, but I don't have any reason to suspect that they would be damaged in this situation.