2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Ignition coil/ engine stutter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:10 PM
TKE
Ignition coil/ engine stutter problem

Hey guys, I've been having some trouble with my 09 Fit these few days. The car is automatic and currently has around 84k miles on it.
A few days ago while driving, the engine started stuttering out of nowhere and the car was shaking. The engine light came on at the same time and started flashing. After restarting the car a few times, it ran normal again but the light was still on, this time it stayed solid. I then took the car to a local shop and apparently ignition coil #1 was causing the trouble. I had it replaced and it was fine for 2 days.
The engine stutter/shaking/ engine light flashing came back on today out of nowhere and i took it to the shop again and the scan showed that ignition coil #1 is causing it, again. My mechanic switched 1 and 2 to see if it would fix the problem but told me it might be an electronic issue.

Has anybody encountered similar problems?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:34 AM
TKE
Update:

After switching the 2 ignition coils, it's still causing the same problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Did the error code follow the ignition coil? Has anyone checked the condition of the spark plug? If is is still #1 after swapping the coils check to be sure the connector/terminal into the coil is clean, another possibility is its firing lean due to clogged fuel injector.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 AM
TKE
Originally Posted by Houleo
Did the error code follow the ignition coil? Has anyone checked the condition of the spark plug? If is is still #1 after swapping the coils check to be sure the connector/terminal into the coil is clean, another possibility is its firing lean due to clogged fuel injector.
The spark plugs are brand new so I don't think they are the problem. I will bring up the connector/terminal and fuel injector issue with my mechanic. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Hi. Any update on the status of your Fit? I'm having exactly the same problem. Changed spark plugs and replaced the coil (with couple different brands) and the problem still exists. I'm curious to see what fixed your Fit.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:50 PM
So, my '13 Sport had the check engine light come on (steady, not flashing) at just shy of 36k miles. Code P0302, cyl 2 misfire. Dealership replaced the #2 coil under warranty, but the light came back on upon the next cold start. Same code. I took it back and they found the valves on the #2 cylinder were tight - intake and exhaust. Other valves had moved a bit but werent out of spec yet. They adjusted the valves, cleared the code, test drove it (including two days of cold starts, at my request) and everything seems fine now. If anything changes I'll make another post here, and I'll check the valves in another 30k miles to see if they continue to tighten, which would indicate soft valve seats.