2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

MM vs 1 year interval oil change - affect MM?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Question MM vs 1 year interval oil change - affect MM?

Hi,

I have a low mileage 2013 Honda Fit Sport. Bought Aug 2012, has 13,000 miles. My confusion stems from the recommendation to do an oil change once a year regardless of MM (40% for my Fit). Does the recommended oil change imply an A1 service as well?

Last oil change June 2014, so I'm bringing it in Friday for oil change because over 1 year since last, and a brake fluid change as well, since it's been over 3 years.

But I'm inclined to refuse any other service, reasoning that the MM is tracking everything and shows 40% oil life and no indication for any service needed.

The thing I don't know is how the MM reacts to an oil change only. Do they normally reset the MM when only an oil change is done, even though the A1 service was not done? In other words does the MM then record an A1 service done?

Or is the correct approach to do the complete A1 service at least once a year regardless of MM?

Thanks,
Mark M

Last edited by markmarz; 11-16-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i do my own oil changes and i usually just do the oil change once a year before the obd states to do it.

i just reset the oil life counter when i do. my '12 is now 3yrs+ old with about 21k miles. the only thing ive done are oil/oil filter change, air filter, and cabin filter change. i have done all the visual inspection top and bottom of the car. no issue to report.

my mileage is low because i own 2 other cars i drive on the weekends.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks. I don't do my own maintenance and was asking how resetting the MM for an oil change only affects its tracking of next service intervals.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:44 PM
The MM should be reset with the oil change.

An A1 or B1 service is just an oil change, tire rotation, and some basic inspections of wear items. There isn't any "magic" other service that must be done unless the inspections reveal a problem. (The difference between A and B is whether Honda says to change the filter; I change the filter regardless.)

It might mess up its tracking of some other services, at least momentarily, but aside from the engine and cabin air filters, it will take you a very long time for anything else to be called for regardless with the relatively small amount of driving you do.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM
DrewE,

Thanks, that helps. I think you're saying that it's a good idea to go for an A1 service even if all that's required is the oil change (because of time, not MM indicator).

Right?

BTW I'm inclined to not get the tire rotation if I can save money by skipping it. Considering how few miles I put on the tires, I'll probably want to change them in 5 years just because of age, not because of wear. So the interim costs to rotate don't make sense to me.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM
If you ask for an oil change, they'll probably basically do an A1/B1 anyhow. Dealers like to inspect stuff because it doesn't take much time and if they find something amiss they can hit you up for more service (and, I suspect, because if they didn't and you got in a horrible accident they fear they might be found partly liable). You can always ask them what's what.

Tire rotation does help extend the life of the tires, but isn't entirely necessary for the safe operation of the car. I would suggest keeping an eye on the relative tread of the front and the back tires and when the fronts are getting low (and the back still have a good bit left) rotating the tires once. It's not as effective as periodic rotations, but you at least won't end up with bald front tires and barely worn down back tires. The fronts on a front-wheel-drive car get quite a bit more wear than the backs.

At least around here, many tire stores will rotate tires for free if you buy the tires from them.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

I will ask them what's going on when I bring it in, now with your help I feel better armed. I will keep an eye on the tires but because there's so little wear and how little I drive, I'm pretty sure I'll replace them due to age before they need replacing due to wear (relative or otherwise).