2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Air ride.... FINALLY.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Air ride.... FINALLY.

Some of you may or may not know, but I started a blog (insert shameless plug here ~~> www.onthelow.net).and i can't really fake the funk sitting at ride height I have now. I love low cars, trucks, suvs, golf carts, shopping carts, kids strollers you name it. I've had my bag setup since about a month after I had my fit - so that means it's been sitting for a year and a half! hahaahah. Well, now it's about time to get the project rolling -er dropping.

Here's a teaser. I built the frame and mounted the major parts in the trunk. There's enough room to remove the spare, and I can probably put a small shallow mount sub box above it.

Sorry for the iphone pics.

And that's all i got for now.

OnTheLow status coming soon.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
cool. more pics!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
AIR!!! Woot! Let us encourage you to get it done so we can all drool over the pics you will take! =)

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
ur crazy for real

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
dumped on coilovers > air ride :P

Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
i would agree with the dumped on coilovers statement, but only on some cars.

On the fit;

To ride crazy low, you will scrape everywhere - and I'm not just talking bumpers/kit here. When we first installed the coilovers, my frame was about an inch off the floor. Sure it looked great, but it wasn't practical for driving... over anything. Trust me, we drove around like that for 2 minutes before I decided to raise it.

Second, with aggressive wheel fitment, I won't be able to achieve my desired stance (SLAMMED). Sure I can get the fender to sit on the tire, or pretty close, but I'd be rubbing like crazy. A little rub is OK with me, but I won't be able to drive with how low I want to go, with how much poke I've calculated. We can't easily get camber in the rear, so there will be rub trying to drive dumped.

I completely understand why people prefer to coilovers, and I'm not hating on it. I want to get the car to sit they way I want it to without having to deal with the above.

To each their own.

Last edited by danielg; 11-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Wait. You post pics of your set-up. BUT NO PICS OF THE RIDE HEIGHT!!!!!!!

TEASING WHORE! haha

Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danielg
i would agree with the dumped on coilovers statement, but only on some cars.

On the fit;

To ride crazy low, you will scrape everywhere - and I'm not just talking bumpers/kit here. When we first installed the coilovers, my frame was about an inch off the floor. Sure it looked great, but it wasn't practical for driving... over anything. Trust me, we drove around like that for 2 minutes before I decided to raise it.

Second, with aggressive wheel fitment, I won't be able to achieve my desired stance (SLAMMED). Sure I can get the fender to sit on the tire, or pretty close, but I'd be rubbing like crazy. A little rub is OK with me, but I won't be able to drive with how low I want to go, with how much poke I've calculated. We can't easily get camber in the rear, so there will be rub trying to dumped.

I completely understand why people prefer to coilovers, and I'm not hating on it. I want to get the car to sit they way I want it to without having to deal with the above.

To each their own.
pix of it on coilovers with the frame 1" from the ground or ban

Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
pix of it on coilovers with the frame 1" from the ground or ban
I think they were on the memfab flickr. Too bad flickr cancelled the account.

I'm sure anyone who's played with ride height by now knows we can get our cars that low. You can probably lay frame on just coilovers (some of them). Have fun putting the jack back on after trying it.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slowbros
Wait. You post pics of your set-up. BUT NO PICS OF THE RIDE HEIGHT!!!!!!!

TEASING WHORE! haha
The actual bags arent in yet. I just did the frame in the back. Hopefully sometime next week they'll get installed. What sucks is that my tire size is too big so I don't think I'll be able to sit the rear bumper on the floor.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I know what you mean about the coilovers. I bought a set of coilovers for my GD3 and after one week with all the adjustments made the spring rates were not to my liking. I had to adjust the dampening to where it was almost super stiff to get the suspension to not scrape. I'm not a big fan of slammed but just better than stock. Thats why I have swift springs now and am waiting for a good deal on dampers. But air ride is in the back of my head if I the price drops. Danielg if you ever get it done hit me up I'd like to take a ride and see how it is. I'm in Frisco.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Quick update. One corner installed to tonight. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. There are a bunch of sharp edges near the bag that I had to cover/block to make sure they wouldn't touch the bag. Ran into some problems with the other corner, decided to do the rear, couldn't remove one of the bolts to drop the suspension so I called it a night.

Don't mind the broken end link. It broke a long time ago from being so low. I think i'm going to end up running no fsb. You can see where I covered up the protruding bolts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200228487/http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200228487/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/37686115@N05/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200822210/http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200822210/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/37686115@N05/, on Flickr

In this picture you can see I had flip the locking collar, and what I had to grind down to get the bolts and fitting to sit in the collar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200822804/http://www.flickr.com/photos/37686115@N05/5200822804/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/37686115@N05/, on Flickr

And don't mind the dirt. I'll clean it up after I check the to see if the bags are rubbing on anything after I drive it around for a week or two, after the install is complete.

Next on the list-
Install passenger side
Install rear, I have to modify the perch to get the fitting to fit
Run lines

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69
I know what you mean about the coilovers. I bought a set of coilovers for my GD3 and after one week with all the adjustments made the spring rates were not to my liking. I had to adjust the dampening to where it was almost super stiff to get the suspension to not scrape. I'm not a big fan of slammed but just better than stock. Thats why I have swift springs now and am waiting for a good deal on dampers. But air ride is in the back of my head if I the price drops. Danielg if you ever get it done hit me up I'd like to take a ride and see how it is. I'm in Frisco.
For sure. Hopefully I can wrap it up this week assuming I don't run into any major issues. I'm really concerned about the rear perch. I'm probably going to end up just drilling through it.

Maybe we can throw a small bay area meet so I can finally meet some of you guys.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Odd...I thought there was no need for adjustible shock perches since the bellows do all the work height adjusting.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69
Odd...I thought there was no need for adjustible shock perches since the bellows do all the work height adjusting.
I'm talking about where the springs sit, cups if you want to call it that. It's easier to understand with a picture. I'm going to mount the bags with the fitting facing down, and the hole isn't big enough to run the fitting and line. The fitting is also off center. I was planning on running a 90 degree fitting but I'm not sure what's going to happen now. I'll post pics when I get there.

Another thing I'm worried about is the exhaust. That shit it literally right next to the spring.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
people roll dumped all over the bay with agressive settings. but like you said to each there own, i agree. can't wait for the finish project.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoloDolo
people roll dumped all over the bay with agressive settings. but like you said to each there own, i agree. can't wait for the finish project.
I'm not saying rolling dumped with poke isn't doable, ive done it personally, but on the fit youre not really slammed poked...not like a 350z for example. We probably could with camber. Which reminds me I should look at our hubs since I'm back there. If I can find a solution and we can get 3 degree that be awesome.

Anyways update for today. Couldn't get the nut off the coil over on the front so I'm going to take it to my friend with an air gun so I can finish. I completed the driver side rear, but when I was doing the passenger side my dremel crapped out on me. Also, I think I'm going to wrap the exhaust to try and reduce the heat back there, or run a custom exhaust and have it exit in the middle.

Sorry no pics, maybe tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
omg u are finally going at it....i told u to drop it on air over a year ago...lol !
good to see u doing it right !
keep it up

Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by danielg
I'm not saying rolling dumped with poke isn't doable, ive done it personally, but on the fit youre not really slammed poked...not like a 350z for example. We probably could with camber. Which reminds me I should look at our hubs since I'm back there. If I can find a solution and we can get 3 degree that be awesome.

Anyways update for today. Couldn't get the nut off the coil over on the front so I'm going to take it to my friend with an air gun so I can finish. I completed the driver side rear, but when I was doing the passenger side my dremel crapped out on me. Also, I think I'm going to wrap the exhaust to try and reduce the heat back there, or run a custom exhaust and have it exit in the middle.

Sorry no pics, maybe tomorrow.
Nice to see another GE on bags.
My GE is also on bags, & got the same problems with the exhaust pipe. the air lines melted coz it was hanging to close to the exhaust. then got the pipe wrap & moved the line a bit further. but still not100% sure it won't melt again, even the bags suffer the heat from the exhaust.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
any pics yet? well of the car dumped?

Quick Reply: Air ride.... FINALLY.