Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/)
-   -   Spring Rates (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/48248-spring-rates.html)

Lek 09-13-2009 07:34 AM

Spring Rates

I notice that the Fit GE has spring rates of F1.7k / R 2.0k and the GD has spring rates of F 3.1 / R4.9.

When I bought my BC Coilovers for my GE the standard springs were F5k / R4k which I thought were going to be way too hard. Anyway, after fitting I found out that they weren't too hard just firm.

How come there is such a big difference in spring rates on the GE between Stock and my coilovers, but the springs don't feel it while driving. :confused:

ToFit2Quit 09-13-2009 02:38 PM

Not sure, but maybe the dampers on the coilovers compensate for the spring rate...

shazaam 09-13-2009 07:47 PM

if the dampers are valved for the springs it shouldn't feel like ish. n those aren't high spring rates by any means either.

Lek 09-13-2009 08:40 PM

those aren't high spring rates by any means either.
Stock Fit GE has spring rates of F1.7k / R 2.0k vs BC Coilovers F5k / R4k.

That's over 250% harder.

kenchan 09-15-2009 03:10 PM

wow, the GE's stock sus feels more like 5k front 6k rear.

you sure about 1.7k and 2.k? that's awefully low.

Type 100 09-15-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 746877)
wow, the GE's stock sus feels more like 5k front 6k rear.

you sure about 1.7k and 2.k? that's awefully low.

I think Lek is correct on that.

If you look around researching spring rates for aftermarket components on the GE, most lowering springs and street-use coilovers have really low spring rates vs. the GD, and they don't really increase all that much from the GE stock spring rates. I guess it is due to the GE's greater torsional rigidity, allowing for softer springs.

But yeah I get what you mean. I test-drove a GE6 and didn't feel like its ride was improved over my GD1 on 16s. Must be down to the dampers then? :D

Lek 09-15-2009 10:07 PM

I think with my BC coilovers it's down to the damping force. On settings 4 or 5 they feel better than stock, but if I adjust to 9 or 10 they're very firm, anything above that will break your back. I've never had them on setting 30.

kenchan 09-16-2009 12:36 PM

interesting interesting...

Texas Coyote 09-16-2009 07:33 PM

These are real stiffly built little cars..... In the old pre unit construction days if you were to stiffen your suspension the chassis would flex so much you could see the front fenders undulating when driving on a bumpy road.... That was the reason for wide gaps between the front doors, fenders and hood on high performance muscle cars.

TheFitman 09-17-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote (Post 747707)
These are real stiffly built little cars..... In the old pre unit construction days if you were to stiffen your suspension the chassis would flex so much you could see the front fenders undulating when driving on a bumpy road.... That was the reason for wide gaps between the front doors, fenders and hood on high performance muscle cars.

"high performance muscle car" is an oxymoron

Texas Coyote 09-17-2009 12:18 PM

Not all high performance cars were categorized as muscle cars and most of the muscle cars only offered performance in a straight line for 1320 feet.... That is what it was all about back then.