2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

GE8 suspension for STF

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
LMAO...... Guilty!

Actually, am I going to catch you on Sundays Touge?
I heard if you say touge three times Wanderer appears lol

Yes i'll be there

Originally Posted by x_25
I am talking normal driving for the Fit. It has only been out for fun once and that was my first ever track day. I was to busy not dieing to notice any creaking. Back seats up or down does not make a difference. The car does not noticably flex, just creaks there. It may even be trim panels. No cross bar or anything. I will likely never have a rear strut bar, my fit gets used to haul things to much.

If you want to talk chassis flex, you can watch the steering wheel and windsheild go opposite directions over large pot holes in my miata. :P They are known for bad cowl shake though, especially the very early ones like mine, they added a lot of regidity over the years. The Miata feels like a wet noodle compaired to the GE. Putting the hard top on (it latches very securly) closes up the box and makes it a bit stiffer though.

Edit: uppon further pondering, I feel a rear strut bar would be almost useless in a GE anyway. Not only are they rather solid there, but the rear susspention is shock and spring with the torsion beam. So there will be almost zero side load on the top of the shocks.

That is a good point on the shock separate from spring setup in the rear. Very good point.

Originally Posted by Fast1one
Just my initial impressions just riding around town for a couple weeks. I am going on a road trip this weekend so I will have better impressions.

Either way I already ordered the Progress springs as the Swifts are simply too soft for anything other than 1-2 passengers. I hope I don't end up underdamped after the swap. In hindsight I should have put the money into Eibach ProStreets but I was concerned about daily driving 300# springs.
Yes look forward to your impressions on the road trip... sometimes I do up to 12 hours and comfort is important too. If it was just a thrash car I wouldn't care as much but as a daily I do very much.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Cool to be in the presence of the experience haha.

Good to know that the ride isn't that bad and that 350F/400R is working out for you. Hope it works out for me.

I thought since the GD had stiff springs you just needed $400s in strut bars and you are good to go lol.

Perhaps I'd eventually get a rear strut bar, but until you have the stiff suspension on the GE its useless lol.

I always run with backseats down at autocross lower cg. You can't remove them for STF . Some of the RSXs in my class definitely aren't using them.

I assume the redshift kit comes with all the mounting brackets in the proper locations for brake lines etc. I emailed Chris but I kind of assume hes in holiday mode. I know I would be haha

Last edited by rhop; 07-02-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Sprang for the blistiens, I will report back in a few weeks with how they are.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhop
Cool to be in the presence of the experience haha.

Good to know that the ride isn't that bad and that 350F/400R is working out for you. Hope it works out for me.

I thought since the GD had stiff springs you just needed $400s in strut bars and you are good to go lol.

Perhaps I'd eventually get a rear strut bar, but until you have the stiff suspension on the GE its useless lol.

I always run with backseats down at autocross lower cg. You can't remove them for STF . Some of the RSXs in my class definitely aren't using them.

I assume the redshift kit comes with all the mounting brackets in the proper locations for brake lines etc. I emailed Chris but I kind of assume hes in holiday mode. I know I would be haha
There's a bracket for the brake lines on the fronts. If I recall correctly, the OEM bolt either didn't fit or maybe needed a nut to hold the lines in place, but I just ran a zip tie through and its been fine. I think I've had these almost a year now.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Did you order the Bilstein already?
from TireRack?
Don't forget to buy camber bolt too,
so you can adjust the front camber and do alignment at the same time.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Did you order the Bilstein already?
from TireRack?
Don't forget to buy camber bolt too,
so you can adjust the front camber and do alignment at the same time.
Yep, ordered them from tirerack along with the eibach camber bolts. Hopefully the +/-1.75 range is enough to get me dialed in where I want it. Going to have to make some more pieces for my toe jig though. It was made for my Miata, but happens to work well on my friends Celica as well. The real question is, will my jack be tall enough to get the fit, with it's massive droop travel, up on my alignment boxes....

Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by 07fit916
There's a bracket for the brake lines on the fronts. If I recall correctly, the OEM bolt either didn't fit or maybe needed a nut to hold the lines in place, but I just ran a zip tie through and its been fine. I think I've had these almost a year now.
Thats good to know I'll be sure to get working hardware haha. I'll have to figure it out with Chris.

And congrats on your purchase x_25 hope the Bilsteins serve you well.

Last edited by rhop; 07-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats

You doing the install yourself?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Congrats

You doing the install yourself?
Yep, install and alignment myself.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Woo! They arrived today. I will get pictures at some point.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so they have been on since saturday now. Handling is great, the body is controled. For occational just for fun autocrossing, they would be great.

I am finding them very bumpy though. Not harsh, small cracks are fine, pot holes are reasonable, but when they pavement is lumpy it feels like I am on a cobblestone road or something. Very unpleasant. They are currently set to the lowest setting though (how they came out of the box, didn't know where they would end up.). I am going to raise them up tonight and see if the ride improves. It almost feels like they are on the bumpstops. I hope that is the case, since otherwise they will not be useable for DD for me. My lowered miata with little suspention travel rides better on the same roads at the moment.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, so they have been on since saturday now. Handling is great, the body is controled. For occational just for fun autocrossing, they would be great.

I am finding them very bumpy though. Not harsh, small cracks are fine, pot holes are reasonable, but when they pavement is lumpy it feels like I am on a cobblestone road or something. Very unpleasant. They are currently set to the lowest setting though (how they came out of the box, didn't know where they would end up.). I am going to raise them up tonight and see if the ride improves. It almost feels like they are on the bumpstops. I hope that is the case, since otherwise they will not be useable for DD for me. My lowered miata with little suspention travel rides better on the same roads at the moment.
IIRC the Bilstiens are non adjustable damping wise so try playing with the height to get some more travel. I would def test the bump stops out by putting a zip tie on the shaft, driving and checking it.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
IIRC the Bilstiens are non adjustable damping wise so try playing with the height to get some more travel. I would def test the bump stops out by putting a zip tie on the shaft, driving and checking it.
Yeah, non adjustable damping, but that feels fine. Both low and high speed compression seem good to me. It just feels way to stiffly sprung, which is odd, since my lighter and smaller Miata is sprung even stiffer.

I can't do the ziptie thing. The covers on the rear shocks are moulded plastic, so I cannot get one on there to check, the fronts have the bumpstop inside(?!?) The strut. In the rear I plan on pulling the spring and jacking the suspention up to measure the hub to fender when engaging the bump stops. I may do that on the front, but don't feel like pulling the springs to do so.

The Miata is a wet noodle compaired to the GE though, so it may be the chassis flex soaking up the medium lumps.

Last edited by x_25; 07-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
I put my front Bilstein spring height at around the middle (between lowest and highest) and it ride fantastic,
the rear suspension, I put at the lowest setting.

When I first install them and at that time I don't have the Spoon front sway bar and no Progress rear bar, it was even much more softer ride.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I think between the chassis being as stiff as it is, short wheelbase, rear suspension configuration and the fact the ride height is so low is all working against you compared to your Miata.

Like has been said, raise it up. It's better for handling and and for comfort to do so.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I think between the chassis being as stiff as it is, short wheelbase, rear suspension configuration and the fact the ride height is so low is all working against you compared to your Miata.

Like has been said, raise it up. It's better for handling and and for comfort to do so.
Yep, raised up the front and it is a good bit better. Going to do the rear when I get some time to do so.

As far as wheelbase and lowness, the Miata is shorter and lower. The fit does have the worse rear susspention design and stiffer chassis though.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Glad that the Bilsteins are working out generally for you with some tweaking.

I did get a chance to talk with Chris 2 weeks ago. Really impressive background. We discussed spring rates a bit and at the moment I was set on 440F/500R.

Still at least 2 weeks away from having his next wave of coilovers ready for sale. And still 4 weeks away from having any time I could install them once I purchase them.

07fit916's review is definitely helpful. I will add my experiences to it once I install the Redshift Coilovers as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I've decided to hold off on buying the suspension. I am still learning proper driving technique and $1500 buys you a lot of practice runs lol.

Thanks for everyone's advice

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Well that's the most mature and intelligent decision i've seen in a while.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Well that's the most mature and intelligent decision i've seen in a while.
Seriously.

Quick Reply: GE8 suspension for STF