2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Practical Shoes for the GE8

Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Practical Shoes for the GE8

Having read a lot of the wheel threads I have a partial grasp of the parameters concerning suitable wheels and tires for a GE8 Sport. I know that different priorities will result in different choices WRT optimal results. I'm hoping that I will get some good feedback with comments addressing the priorities that, I don't think, have been addressed. Firstly, the Sport is low enough, no lowering, tucking, flaring, or rolling is desired. Secondly, I am not concerned with 'looks'. On the contrary, I'd prefer a wheel that is ugly enough to deter thieves. Thirdly, as far as performance is concerned, my priorities are as follows:
1. Better MPG
2. Quieter
3. Better performance(stickier)

I know that #1 and #3 will conflict with each other.
I have seen that different combinations of tires and wheels can be configured to accommodate 15", 16", and 17" wheels to maintain accurate speedometer readings. If we can assume the a lighter weight wheel/tire combo will be good for both #1 and #3, is there a reason why, generally speaking, the lighter 15" wheel, and heavier tire, would be better than the heavier 17" wheel, and lighter tire? Or visa verse? How much lighter should the tire/wheel combo be, over stock, to achieve significant performance gains WRT #1 and #3? Assuming that the lighter wheel the more expensive it will be, at what point will there be a point of diminishing returns($), WRT #1 assuming a 5 year, 60,000 time frame? Thanks in advance for any insight to any of these points.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
bumpppppppp

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
All right, so you want the best of all worlds

I would go with an Enkei 16" RPF1 wheel that sheds a lot of weight and is still reasonably priced.

Tires, I'd go with the Bridgestone Ecopia 195/55/16 (only a couple tenths bigger dia + you gain some width from stock.)

It's second best MPG tire in the tire rack MPG test, plus it still has nice grip.

17's or wider tires may cost you some MPG although Goodyear Fuel Saver tires are available bigger which could negate some of the loss by going bigger.

Going to the Tire rack web site will give you additional info.