2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DSW Flat-spotting

Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Question DSW Flat-spotting

I ended up drinking the Conti DSW kool-aid a month and a half ago - and I'm glad to say I did! These tires have been excellent in the rain-slicked roads of Chicago and down my puddle-terrific BFE roads by my house. I can't wait to see how they'll do in the snow/winter. Dry traction is also noticeable better than the previous OE rubber.

However, I've noticed some flat-spotting when the car was parked in the barn for up to 2 weeks at a time while I rode the bike into work. I did a quick search here on the board and saw no complaints from members here but did see that on other sites, people are having similar problems with flat-spotting in different sizes of the DSW. So I'm curious, am I the only one having this problem? If I am, I'm tempted to go back for replacements...

Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
That's odd - flat-spotting after just a couple weeks is definitely strange. I'd expect that to happen after months of leaving the car stationary on its tires because it happened to my old car. Seems like something's up.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, what psi did you use? it could be the combination of low psi, colder weather (lowering psi even more), and being parked for 2wks.

pump it up to 36psi cold and drive it around some. for only 2 wks it's probably not permanent.

i run DWS on my GE, but i drive it or move it around off my driveway almost every day so i dont have this problem at all. im currently running 36-37psi cold as temps are fluctuating.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
do u got road hazard on them see if u do maybe you can get knew ones but if its cold were u lives kens right ....

Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I currently have 37psi all around. 33 was too spongy 35 was okay and 37 made it "alive".

Now that I'm starting to drive the thing daily, I'm not noticing it as much. Maybe for the first mile or two. And now its sitting in the heated garage which likely helps (barn isn't heated [yet]). I'll keep an eye on them, but its been some time since I've dealt with flat-spotting with tires (2005 MR2 to name one). I'm just surprised no one else has reported this problem here...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
woah not cool then if u at 37 and they went flat spot im not a DSW fan but there ok comfi tires

Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
hummm...that's odd. at 37psi cold you shouldn't be having these issues...at least not in 2wks.

thanks for the headsup though. i will make sure to roll my car at least a few feet when i dont plan on driving it.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
ahh u guys got me nervous now lol i got brand new set of CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology on my yukon i only driven on them once i bought them the day i went AZ and back have not drove truck since ima go turn it on to day lol and drive it

Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
hahaha. i use 44psi and raceramps flatstoppers on my hobby cars during winter storage...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
u use 44 psi? on what when there sleeping? how are those flat-stoppers do they make for a 08 yukon hybrid

Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz
u use 44 psi? on what when there sleeping? how are those flat-stoppers do they make for a 08 yukon hybrid
yep, i would lower the psi before taking the car out but during the long sleep i intentionally over psi it.

the flatstoppers are not model dependent so should work. my G and Z are on 19" wheels and much larger diameter/circumference than the Fit's.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
I currently have 37psi all around. 33 was too spongy 35 was okay and 37 made it "alive".

Now that I'm starting to drive the thing daily, I'm not noticing it as much. Maybe for the first mile or two. And now its sitting in the heated garage which likely helps (barn isn't heated [yet]). I'll keep an eye on them, but its been some time since I've dealt with flat-spotting with tires (2005 MR2 to name one). I'm just surprised no one else has reported this problem here...
Ahh cool then.

In my case, I noticed the flat-spotting on the tires when I broke 110 km/h (~70 mph) on my old Honda...there was a constant pitter-patter at that speed and it wouldn't go away until I brought the speed back down again. Around that time I was due for new rubber anyway so I got new Bridgestones, and they did the trick - no more 70 mph pitter-patter!

If the DWS rubbers don't exhibit that sort of behavior, I think you should be golden. Cheers!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
flat spotting is noticable from about 15mph all the way up.

i think something else wrong with your old pitter patter set.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
hummmm.... temps dropped significantly overnight down to 25F from like 60F yesterday. i put 37psi when it was 40F outside, so should be no less than 35psi in the tires at 25F.

the car sat on my drive way since Sat night. this am (2days) when i left for work i noticed slight vibration the first 7-8min of driving. not enough to cause any concern, but it was detectable.

so yes, i too confirm these do flatspot temporarily in colder weather. that's kind of odd though since these tires seem so soft i'd think it would loose the flat part of the tire immediately.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
hey ken check mines out too today in the morning on the yukon drove it to work today ugh rides like a boss smooth suks to hear about that flat spotting

Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz
hey ken check mines out too today in the morning on the yukon drove it to work today ugh rides like a boss smooth suks to hear about that flat spotting
sounds good.

yah, im not too worried about the DWS. as long as it can deliver decent snow driving (which ive not been able to test yet) i will be happy with them.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for confirming, Ken. Good to know I'm not crazy!

And yes, it is a small niggle that can easily be overlooked with the handling characteristics the tire provides. I, too, am interested in seeing how it does in the snow!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i just need to remember to drive my car during winter break cause the place i work for usually shuts down for 2wks straight and during that time, i rarely go out.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Eh, you'll be okay if you don't. It'll just feel like a flat for 10-20 miles

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Hum... last November, I went out of the country for a month and don't recall my DWS tires giving me issues. I'm quite particular about repetitive tire noises (ask DSM, I made a complaint way back after changing the springs).

Granted, it was a year ago, so the details should be fuzzy. But considering I kept the tires until recently and replaced them with another set of DWS, if I had noticed anything, it probably went away quickly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSW Flat-spotting