2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Winter and alloys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Winter and alloys

Okay, first off, noob question.

My 2010 Fit Sport - these were the wheels that came with it when I bought it at the lot. The salesman said they were alloys. I'm not a metallurgist, I just know they're not steelies and they don't have hubcaps. I know it's the older design, I'm just used to seeing alloys...I dunno...look less "dull".

That said, a little research turned up what I'm assuming to be the case, that my alloys are just not chromed, that they're silver. Is that correct? Do I actually have alloy wheels? (like I said, I feel stupid for having to ask)

So, I'd read in another thread around here that road salt in winter driving eats up alloy wheels, but in looking around for winter wheel recommendations, I see people using alloy wheels and nobody mentioning this, and of course I can't find the original thread where this was stated. So...is that true? Should I not be using these wheels in the wintertime?

I'm still on the OEM Dunlops and they're at 42k, so I'm basically planning to run these until winter, dump the tires, and pick up new tires in the spring while I run on the winter tires. The catch is - do I put the winter tires on the alloy wheels, or do I get steelies (or otherwise?) and just store the rims until spring?

And *finally*, if that wasn't enough...A fitment question!

I'm not a super bigtime gearhead, but of all the wheels I've seen people tricking out their Fits with, few have really made me say "Wow, that looks sharp" like the Momo Revenge this guy is selling in his part-out:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...8-partout.html

I'm on stock suspension, not planning to lower because:
* Roads in MA are filled with potholes because of the winter treatment
* Roads in MA have more manhole covers than actual residents (and thus lots of bumps and swerving everywhere to avoid)
* I regularly cart a few people around, I don't want to have to worry about rubbing or anything between having passengers and the shitty roads
* I have a bit of a ramp into my driveway from the road easement, I already have to take it slow to avoid putting the nose on the pavement

So, my question - if I were to get those Momos, will I even be able to find appropriate tires given the road circumstances? I wouldn't want to buy some good tires for it and then find out that the lower wheel wall diameter means that I'm hitting the suspension harder and running a higher risk of hitting the road.

Am I just worrying for nothing? Is this post way too long? Does this look infected to you?!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Banned
Yes those STOCK wheels are made of an aluminum alloy. How much space between the road and the rim edge is determined by the tire ratio aspect. Like on the side wall where is says something like 195-60-***.

So when you go to buy tires remember that the smaller that number the shorter the sidewall and distance between the road and rim gets smaller also.

So to maintain the distance you have now just buy new tires with the same number for the sidewall size that you have now.

There are literally millions of stock Honda alloy wheels on the road that look great even after years of winter salted road use. Just clean them good then you wash the car and they will last for years.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:30 PM
A lot of people use steel wheels for winter because they're cheap to acquire as a second set of wheels and you can put narrower snow tires on them. A narrow tread can be beneficial in packed snow so the tire doesn't float on top, this has been hotly debated here in the past

If you want you could use the stock alloys for winter as well, they will last longer in snow and salt than steel wheels will.

You should be able to run those Momo's no problem if you want to. Go with 205/50/16 tire, I don't see the ride comfort changing much or clearance being an issue at stock height.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
My car has 46k miles of Chicago road salt weather. The wheels are holding up fine.

I do plan to change tires to the Continental DWS by winter though as my tires that came with the car is about down to 3/32 tread. I would run 205/50/16.

I read many reviews here and at other sites that the DWS does very well in snow, and I can use it all year long.