2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

lowered on RPF1 rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
lowered on RPF1 rubbing?

I'm eyeballing the 16x7 +43 RPF1s and thinking of running a 205/50/16 tire on it. for you lowered folks, does this rub and if so, how badly? (for the record I'll be on bilstein PSS coilovers this week.)

Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
How low are you dropped? Springs or Coilovers?

I running 205/45R17 with a 40 offset, dropped 2in. That means if you were drop 2in on your springs/coilovers; My tire up would be .1" further from the fender vertically, but .2" closer to the fender horizontally (which is where most of the rubbing comes from). Im on a pretty soft spring.

When I first lowered the car, a good bump would rub just a bit. When I installed the Buddy Club extended ball joints and installed crash bolts for 1.2 degree of camber; there was no rubbing at all.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Those specs will work no problem. If you go with the +35 you might have issues then depending on how low you are.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 PM
well. tirerack says +43, hopefully it should be fine.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Another thread contact member by the name of Goobers he had that setup

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ire-specs.html

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Another thread contact member by the name of Goobers he had that setup

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ire-specs.html
Hum...?

I'm pretty sure i mentioned in that thread what little rubbing i get. Which it no longer does since it was just the fender liner (affected area rubbed away) While i do have rpf1s and tires in that size, i'm on Swift springs (1.2" f/1.0" r).

So, your mileage may vary depending on how low and how stiff/soft your setup is.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
I saw you had the wheels in question and lowered what he was originally asking I figure you could give him the best opinion on rubbing.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Hum...?

I'm pretty sure i mentioned in that thread what little rubbing i get. Which it no longer does since it was just the fender liner (affected area rubbed away) While i do have rpf1s and tires in that size, i'm on Swift springs (1.2" f/1.0" r).

So, your mileage may vary depending on how low and how stiff/soft your setup is.
That's a little disconcerting given the 1.18 to 1.97 inch drop I can get with the bilsteins. I suppose I'll have to monitor it closely.

I assume the rear was completely trouble free. Correct?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it rubbing too much.

Originally Posted by takzi
My Jazz (fit) is using the B14 system from Bilstein.

I like the fact that this is designed specifically for the Jazz for day to day use, so it won't be too stiff while producing a good balance of control.

With the current set up using 205/45/R16 +42 Offset wheel, i have no rubbing issue what so ever even at full lock to lock. So i am happy about it...

Here are a few pics of it.

Even with the little extra sidewall you'd have with 205/50 over him I don't think it'd be a big deal, or at least nothing you couldn't fix with camber bolts.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyanosis
That's a little disconcerting given the 1.18 to 1.97 inch drop I can get with the bilsteins. I suppose I'll have to monitor it closely.

I assume the rear was completely trouble free. Correct?
the rear was trouble free.

the drop isn't the issue... the issue is how much the spring compresses. or more specifically, how far away the tire is when you are fully compressed.

there are two rubbing spots... one is behind the wheel (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post988400 <- direct link to my post with pictures)... its in the second pic where you can see the one I'm talking about. this one has nothing to do with drop (or compression), and all to do with the wheel and tire setup. Its very light rubbing... after a few thousand miles of wear, the tire won't rub. and eventually, the liner wears away enough it won't rub on new tires. the only way to avoid this to begin with, is with lower width tires and/or higher offset. But, I think I recall Lyon saying he had this rubbing with same sized tires on stock wheels.

the second issue (which would be the first pic)... has all to do with me turning and fully compressing the spring. As hard as I turn, it's not quite enough to fully compress the spring, until I hit a bump in the middle of the turn. Once I hit that bump, it's enough to rub the tire on the fender liner at the top (where it meets the fender).

So, if you drive fairly slow and never compress it that much, you don't have anything to worry about.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
the rear was trouble free.

the drop isn't the issue... the issue is how much the spring compresses. or more specifically, how far away the tire is when you are fully compressed.

there are two rubbing spots... one is behind the wheel (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post988400 <- direct link to my post with pictures)... its in the second pic where you can see the one I'm talking about. this one has nothing to do with drop (or compression), and all to do with the wheel and tire setup. Its very light rubbing... after a few thousand miles of wear, the tire won't rub. and eventually, the liner wears away enough it won't rub on new tires. the only way to avoid this to begin with, is with lower width tires and/or higher offset. But, I think I recall Lyon saying he had this rubbing with same sized tires on stock wheels.

the second issue (which would be the first pic)... has all to do with me turning and fully compressing the spring. As hard as I turn, it's not quite enough to fully compress the spring, until I hit a bump in the middle of the turn. Once I hit that bump, it's enough to rub the tire on the fender liner at the top (where it meets the fender).
Hi
So, if you drive fairly slow and never compress it that much, you don't have anything to worry about.
Excellent feedback, thank you.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Administrator
16x7 +43 will not rub unless you are slammed on coilovers

I am running 16x7 +43 and +37 rear (after 5mm spacers) on Tanabe DF210's and have more than enough clearance on 195-50-16 Continental ContiSportContact2's

I have 4 people in my car every week when I carpool and one person is quite large so my car is pretty slammed at times at freeway speed, never once have I ever rubbed

I will actually be upgrading to 205-50-16's next and might be keeping the Continentals for my next set or getting Potenza RE760's like I have on my 350z

Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
15x7 +43 with 195/55 Dunlop Starspec ll on buddy club coilovers. 3" drop, -1 camber. Front rubs over bumps and turns. Had to roll front fender, trim liners and grind bumper tabs a little.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I wouldn't worry about it rubbing too much.

Even with the little extra sidewall you'd have with 205/50 over him I don't think it'd be a big deal, or at least nothing you couldn't fix with camber bolts.
great research as well. thanks!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Rubbed when I lowered on my rpf1s. They are the 15" with +35 offset. They rubbed on every bump and u turns I made. After getting my fenders rolled I haven't had an issue since. Btw I am lowered on a set of tein stech springs.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
so, as expected, the rear is fine.

I installed the front as it shipped, which was basically lowered almost all the way and.... it rubbed like crazy.

raised the front halfway and it rubs if i execute hard cuts at speed. (think trying to make a 90 degree turn).

should be ok for autocross. I will likely run it raised as far as possible for daily driving though.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Camber bolts installed?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Negative. I think I'll do those and the BC ball joints soon.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Where are those pics OP

Quick Reply: lowered on RPF1 rubbing?