2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Tire Size for Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Tire Size for Autocross

Hey everyone. Ive been looking into getting started in Autocrossing my ge8. Right now I'm on my stock wheels. I think I'll go with 16x7 or 17x7 for my fit. I'm just wanting to know what other people went with for the width and sizes for their wheels. By the way I'm on function & form type 2 coilovers also. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Be aware that different wheel sizes/offset will put you in a different category. Might want to browse the rule book before making any moves.

But for the first few, just get out there on your stock tires and have fun.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shanz
Hey everyone. Ive been looking into getting started in Autocrossing my ge8. Right now I'm on my stock wheels. I think I'll go with 16x7 or 17x7 for my fit. I'm just wanting to know what other people went with for the width and sizes for their wheels. By the way I'm on function & form type 2 coilovers also. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.
P nuts right. if you are just starting you need to learn what the rules are first. Perhaps you can invest in a better set of tires for your OEM wheels so you can get accurately acquainteed.Both 195 and 205 section width are good provided you keep the new tires about the same overall diameter as the OEM. And, as you tire gets heavier than OEM you want to slightly reduce the diameter to minimize torque loss and acceleration. Pretty much 215 section tires lose a bit on acceleration than the 205' though if you find a lightweight set ...Around here the more prodyuctive a/xers prefer 205/50x15 tires and they all argue whether Dunlop Direzza Dii's or Goodrich Rivals are best but those two are better than anything else on our test track. And yes, if rulres permit disconnect the front antisway bar to reduce understeer.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
P nuts right. if you are just starting you need to learn what the rules are first. Perhaps you can invest in a better set of tires for your OEM wheels so you can get accurately acquainteed.Both 195 and 205 section width are good provided you keep the new tires about the same overall diameter as the OEM. And, as you tire gets heavier than OEM you want to slightly reduce the diameter to minimize torque loss and acceleration. Pretty much 215 section tires lose a bit on acceleration than the 205' though if you find a lightweight set ...Around here the more prodyuctive a/xers prefer 205/50x15 tires and they all argue whether Dunlop Direzza Dii's or Goodrich Rivals are best but those two are better than anything else on our test track. And yes, if rulres permit disconnect the front antisway bar to reduce understeer.
A set of Hoosier A6's will destroy those two tires you listed.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
STF Class

Enkei RPF1 16x7

Toyota R1R:

Front
225/45R16

Rear
205/50R16

In autoxing 17" will slow you down.

Last edited by De36; 05-25-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by low trq
A set of Hoosier A6's will destroy those two tires you listed.
Don't slicks bump you to "modified"? A Fit isn't really competitive in that class.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by De36
Don't slicks bump you to "modified"? A Fit isn't really competitive in that class.
Absolutely not. Every competitive driver in stock class runs slicks. You just simply can't win without them.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Absolutely not. Every competitive driver in stock class runs slicks. You just simply can't win without them.
I have never ran a full slick and I stay plenty competitive. I suggest to anyone who wants to become faster; kick your ego to the curb and learn from better drivers (driving schools, ect...). Coil-overs and tires won't make someone nearly as fast as well spent seat time.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:29 AM
I have never ran a full slick and I stay plenty competitive. I suggest to anyone who wants to become faster; kick your ego to the curb and learn from better drivers (driving schools, ect...). Coil-overs and tires won't make someone nearly as fast as well spent seat time.
You've obviously never been to nationals, or even regionals for that matter.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
You've obviously never been to nationals, or even regionals for that matter.
Quite an assumption.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Quite an assumption.
A pretty good one considering you didn't know slicks are allowed in stock class.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
A pretty good one considering you didn't know slicks are allowed in stock class.
I don't run stock but you might want to give the Solo 2 rule book a thumb through...lol

Last edited by De36; 05-26-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 PM
In which region does street class mean the same as stock?

lol

When you finally realize how wrong you are it's going to be pretty funny.

Last edited by low trq; 05-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
In which region does street class mean the same as stock?

lol

When you finally realize how wrong you are it's going to be pretty funny.
SCCA doesn't call it "Stock Category" anymore, it's called "Street Category". A lot of clubs still call it Stock. It's synonymous.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 PM
SCCA doesn't call it "Stock Category" anymore, it's called "Street Category". A lot of clubs still call it Stock. It's synonymous.
You are 100% right. They changed the rules last year to remove slicks from stock class. Since I haven't raced in about 2 years, that makes sense. Sorry for the trouble.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
You are 100% right. They changed the rules last year to remove slicks from stock class. Since I haven't raced in about 2 years, that makes sense. Sorry for the trouble.
It's ok. No harm no fowl.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Its been many years since I autocrossed but our a/xers here say there's no street legal, stock, or whatever classification that runs tires less than 100 utog. If you run Hoosiers, which I have raced on, you will be classed with highly modified cars that are barely streetable. But you asre correct that Hoosier A6's of dry and rain variety will stomp good street legal (read DOT) tires; still Goodrich and Direzza D11's are pretty good.
And yes serious a/xers wear or grind their tires to minimum tread to gain the maximum cornering and less tire weight. Many classifications have minimum tread depths just for that reason; grind D11's to slicks and they compete with Hoosiers at full tread depth. Naturaly, its why the rule "racing makes a small fortune out of a large one". is truth. The greater the trophy the greater the cost.
Serious runners at the SOLO nationals show up with brand new D11's or Rivals at the minimum tread depth allowed; others are handicapped.

Last edited by mahout; 05-26-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Its been many years since I autocrossed but our a/xers here say there's no street legal, stock, or whatever classification that runs tires less than 100 utog. If you run Hoosiers, which I have raced on, you will be classed with highly modified cars that are barely streetable. But you asre correct that Hoosier A6's of dry and rain variety will stomp good street legal (read DOT) tires; still Goodrich and Direzza D11's are pretty good.
And yes serious a/xers wear or grind their tires to minimum tread to gain the maximum cornering and less tire weight. Many classifications have minimum tread depths just for that reason; grind D11's to slicks and they compete with Hoosiers at full tread depth. Naturaly, its why the rule "racing makes a small fortune out of a large one". is truth. The greater the trophy the greater the cost.
Serious runners at the SOLO nationals show up with brand new D11's or Rivals at the minimum tread depth allowed; others are handicapped.
Up until last year A6's were allowed in Stock class.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Up until last year A6's were allowed in Stock class.

where? region? state? city?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Which I am so thankful for. It was kind of anoying to have to buy $250+ per corner tires to just be competative in stock! (Hence why I ran my Miata in STS) Since they changed it I am tempted to throw the stock springs back on and hit up e-street. It is a change for the better, and starting next year it will be bumped up to 200tw, just like the ST* classes.

where? region? state? city?
Up until this year, SCCA stock class was alowed any DOT legal tire. The hoosier A6 is a 40tw tire with three circumradial 3/32 grooves andnis DOT approved. It is a street legal slick., specificly designed for autocross.

Quick Reply: Tire Size for Autocross