2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Tires for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Tires for winter

Get the Nov issue of Consumer Reports to see their ratings of truck and SUV tires for winter duty. Yes, trucks but the technology for tires generally follows across car and truck tires. Wasn't surprized to find Mich, Conti, Goodyear, Pirelli, but a little surprised by Cooper.
Still, testing beats opinions.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
blizzaks do it for my 09.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Nokian Hakapalitas (spelling) are great winter tires; probably the best. Have them and love them.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I don't remember what mine are (I haven't seen them since May 1, when I took them off). I think they're a Goodyear tire.

Regardless of which tire you get, I would suggest studded winter tires. Mine are, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't really compare to non studded winter tires, because I haven't had the joy (or lack thereof) of using non studded winter tires. I can tell you that even my studded tires will break free, if they're pushed hard enough.

Can somebody else, who has had studded and non studded winter tires speak to how the two compare?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
I've used studded tires and really didn't like them. Studded tires offer marginally less traction on dry pavement than non studded. However, this is not comparable to the difference between an all season tyre and a winter tire on snow and ice, which is a big difference.

From my understanding studded tires perform better on ice while non studded perform better on snow. Also studded tires are very noisy on dry pavement.

In Quebec the consensus is that Blizzaks, Michelin x-ice and Nokian Hakkapelitas are the three best tires. Nokians are usually considerably more expensive than the other two. I believe Blizzaks perform slightly better but wear more quickly due to a softer rubber compound. Michelin x-ice is considered a great balance between performance and durability.

I run Michelin and I am very satisfied. They will be on their second season (when I will put them on) and they look like brand new. Then again, I do my own tire changes so I quickly took them off when the road conditions allowed it in spring.

The bottom line is that a good non studded tire will perform very well in snow and will be at least very close to a studded tire bit the ride comfort is much better on pavement since studs are pretty loud. Then again, Nokian makes a special stud that is supposed to reduce noise but I've never tried em.

Last edited by MTLian; 10-10-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
blizzaks do it for my 09.
Blizzak WS60s' for the '11 base . Had the 70s' and liked those better . They were on a base '08 Yaris ( 185/60-15 ) .

Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Found this video of a '10 A.W.D. Rav in snow with the RT 42s' . Turns off A.W.D. in end of video and still grips .

Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 PM
I have the General Altimax (non-studded) and they are awesome for Canadian harsh winter and storms. I've got 185/70R14 so it's less expensive and gives more bite in deep snow.

My father have the same tires with studs on his Camry and he drives mainly on iced roads. He doesn't have any problems over 70mph. ;-)

Make sure to "narrow" your priorities and set up a budget before making your decision. Road noise, ride comfort, ice vs snow roads, etc...

If you want a nice comfortable and performing tire, Continentals and Michelins are the way to go.

Ultimate grip and $$$ are going to be the Nokian Aka. You can look for Nordman? I think it's Nokian's older technology so you don't pay premium price but i'm not sure about this.