3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Throttle spacer for GK5 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Throttle spacer for GK5 Fit

Excuse me I don't know what they call in English,
please forgive my poor English, cause I am Taiwanese.
This spacer is kind of popular in Taiwan.
So I decide to put this in my Gk5 fit.
Let's check this out.

About the feel with this spacer in drive I can clearly feel the accelerator responsive more quickly with in 2500-5000rpm and the powers are more smooth and a little bit of endless.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
谢谢大卫!我在哪里可以购买这种在互联网上。我找不到它。

Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
It appears to have a traper to it. I'm doubtful this would add power. It's not acting as a barrier for parts that could heat sink, and it's not machined to induce swirl. It does increase plenum volume which is about all I notice.

Can anyone enlighten me on if this does anything?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Look here --> Honda Fit Throttle Body Spacer

It says for the 1.5ltr Fit but nothing on how it will improve performance. The company's contact information is there but when I went to their official site, I didn't see the throttle body spacer on it. I notice my intake manifold is usually not hot to the touch. The coolant going through the throttle body heated it up but where the throttle body attaches to the manifold. Well......can't argue with his results. It's what he said he experienced. Good luck!

The piece does not seem terribly expensive to test it out either.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Yes, I believe you are just increasing plenum volume and moving peak torque around, that's all.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Administrator
I don't imagine these make any discernable difference in power

Would really like to see a dyno sheet

Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Yes, I believe you are just increasing plenum volume and moving peak torque around, that's all.
The Effects of Intake Plenum Volume on the Performance of a Small Normally Aspirated Restricted Engine

"Intake tuning is a widely recognized method for optimizing the performance of a naturally aspirated engine for motorsports applications. Wave resonance and Helmholtz theories are useful for predicting the impact of intake runner length on engine performance. However, there is very little information in the literature regarding the effects of intake plenum volume. The goal of this study was to determine the effects of intake plenum volume on engine performance for a restricted naturally aspirated engine for Formula SAE (FSAE) vehicle use. Testing was conducted on a four cylinder 600 cc motorcycle engine fitted with a 20 mm restrictor in compliance with FSAE competition rules. Plenum sizes were varied from 2 to 10 times engine displacement (1.2 to 6.0 L) and engine speeds were varied from 3,000 to 12,500 RPM. Performance metrics including volumetric efficiency, torque and power were recorded at steady state conditions. Experimental results showed that engine performance increased modestly as plenum volume was increased from 2 to 8 times engine displacement. Increasing plenum volume beyond 8 times engine displacement resulted in significant improvement in performance parameters. Overall, peak HP was shown to increase from 54 kW to 63 kW over the range of plenums tested. While it was clear that larger intake plenums yielded better steady state performance, their effect on transient performance was not explored and will be the subject of further research."

So is this to say that if/since it increases plenum volume, that a low to modest increase in performance can be had?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 12-10-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Administrator
But this doesn't increase plenum volume, it creates a vacuum affect prior to the tb itself from every other platform that this mod is placed on (as observed on other platform website research I have done myself)

The plenum would affected if you replaced it entirely with something like what Spoon offers

Label me a skeptic, granted I am no expert but I think the jury is still out

Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
There's one important variable in all of this that we may be forgetting though. David (the OP) himself! Even if we don't understand absolutely anything about how it works, he did say -->
Originally Posted by david518
About the feel with this spacer in drive I can clearly feel the accelerator responsive more quickly with in 2500-5000rpm and the powers are more smooth and a little bit of endless.
I just want to thank him for posting and the pics. If it is as cheap as what I'm thinking ($30-$50), what the hell. Why not? I sent out an email to the vendor and am waiting for a response. Should be fairly easy to install. Heck....1-2hp and I'd happy. Experiment!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Spoon's intake chamber is just a painted ge8 chamber. The ge8 chamber is a dual plenum design so it will show a wider torque curve when compared to the stock crz or gd3 single plenum.

Waiz you are right that it doesn't increase plenum volume, I used the wrong term, however it does lengthen the runner to the plenum which has the potential to increase vacuum (the longer the runner the higher the vacuum pressure). So theoretically it could increase power, but I don't see any evidence of it adding enough space to help out intake velocity.

I do wish there were measurements on the piece to see what the taper is. If it is reduced say 3mm, intake velocity will raise in the lower-mid rpm band where he stated acceleration improved, but power would cap off at the upper rpm range.

Last edited by kylerwho; 12-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
All research i've done on these says that they won't make much of a difference on an intake manifold like ours.

Top mounted TBs like this yes.

On top or sidedraft carbs, itbs, etc, you can use similar spacers to adjust and tune, also trumpet length, etc.

I would think anything behind the butterfly would increase plenum volume technically or ? Yes, a very small amount, but an increase.

What does the Fit intake manifold look like inside? I've never bothered to look.

On the other hand, the 8th gen Civic guys went nuts for these, with proven dyno results so idk.

I don't believe i've seen a TB spacer thread on this forum so

Old 12-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
All research i've done on these says that they won't make much of a difference on an intake manifold like ours.

Top mounted TBs like this yes.

On top or sidedraft carbs, itbs, etc, you can use similar spacers to adjust and tune, also trumpet length, etc.

I would think anything behind the butterfly would increase plenum volume technically or ? Yes, a very small amount, but an increase.

What does the Fit intake manifold look like inside? I've never bothered to look.

On the other hand, the 8th gen Civic guys went nuts for these, with proven dyno results so idk.

I don't believe i've seen a TB spacer thread on this forum so
I'm with you on all points, did some digging yesterday and came across that big thread on the 8th gen forum and some had positive results but that may not be the same for a GK

Old 12-11-2014, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waiz
But this doesn't increase plenum volume, it creates a vacuum affect prior to the tb itself from every other platform that this mod is placed on (as observed on other platform website research I have done myself)

The plenum would affected if you replaced it entirely with something like what Spoon offers

Label me a skeptic, granted I am no expert but I think the jury is still out
What Spoon offers is just the GE intake plenum painted. It does add volume for the CR-Z, for the Fit it does nothing buy make the under hood look nice for those that like to sit around gawking at another in parking lots.

EDIT: Just now saw that Kyler already posted the above info.

I just recently picked up the throttle body spacer with sub-chamber from Kuo's Garage. Can't do anything with it right now since I don't have my car. No idea if it will really add any power, but even a tiny amount added is beneficial in the anemic Fit.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 12-11-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I just recently picked up the throttle body spacer with sub-chamber from Kuo's Garage. Can't do anything with it right now since I don't have my car. No idea if it will really add any power, but even a tiny amount added is beneficial in the anemic Fit.

How do you go about ordering it? How much was it?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Administrator
What Spoon offers is just the GE intake plenum painted. It does add volume for the CR-Z, for the Fit it does nothing buy make the under hood look nice for those that like to sit around gawking at another in parking lots.

EDIT: Just now saw that Kyler already posted the above info.

Looking forward to your impression of the tb spacer when you get a chance to install it!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
How do you go about ordering it? How much was it?
Directly from his site. Though it looks like he only has for the GE at the moment. I'm sure he will get something out for the GK in the near future.

Throttle Spacer

Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Directly from his site. Though it looks like he only has for the GE at the moment. I'm sure he will get something out for the GK in the near future.

Throttle Spacer
Thanks for providing that link. Wow...$173.00 is a significant price. I was thinking it was $30-$50. My bad! Very interesting!

Will see how it goes with the people picking the part up. I have my doubts but I doubt everything. That's why we test, dyno, track, etc. If nothing else, I'm glad to see it getting some interest in here by some folks.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Why not just get yourself a 1" chunk of aluminum plate, lay the throttle body gasket on top of it, mark the holes and drill them, then use a hole saw to cut out the center section?

cheap and would only take a few hours, plus you could play with giving the hole different cuts to see if you could improve any flow.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
so yeah .... lets start a group buy?

https://fengben.en.alibaba.com/produ...Honda_Fit.html

Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
so yeah .... lets start a group buy?

https://fengben.en.alibaba.com/produ...Honda_Fit.html
I'm in if the group buy happens.

Quick Reply: Throttle spacer for GK5 Fit