3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

EXL mirrors on EX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
EXL mirrors on EX?

Does anybody know if the EXL mirrors with turn signal indicators would work on an EX?

Wondering if the mirror wiring is the same on all the models ??

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Someone else started looking into this, but I can't remember who or when. I will search for it today. As I recall, they seemed convinced it could be done with few problems. I also seem to recall pictures. Perhaps I just dreamt the whole thing because I would like to do it myself. I really like the idea of both the turn signal indicators and heated side view mirrors.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 AM
m_x
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ack-pearl.html

This is the thread you want. Bassguitarist1985 was crushing it. He lists the parts and briefly described the necessary steps. HE hasn't updated in a while so I don't know if it was successful, but he made it sound like it would be a simple job with hours of labor involved (and like $100). Worth it.

Bass, if you see this, any updates? Pics??!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM
I was going to tackle this project this weekend for sure, though now they say we are to get some snow showers in CT on Saturday. I bought the plastic molding tool kit to remove the door panels safely without damage.

I've already peeked at the wiring. The EXL mirrors have the same connectors as the EX mirrors. The only difference is the EX harness does not have the wires for the winkers or heated grid of the mirrors, one would have to add those wires. Also the fuse panel of the EX does have slots for the heated mirrors with power, but the other side of the fuse slot does not have wiring going to the mirror wire harness. It will need to be added.

The winkers can be added to an EX mirror assembly with no difficulty. The panels clip in. Its just the wiring that needs to be dealt with. I'm not bothering with the winkers, the heated mirrors was the main feature I was after.

hope this helps. I should have pictures and youtube video this weekend.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Sz28r
Does anybody know if the EXL mirrors with turn signal indicators would work on an EX?

Wondering if the mirror wiring is the same on all the models ??

If you are interested, here are the part# to swap out the "skull" of the side mirror with the winker. You will also need to replace the plastic insert piece on the EX with the light assembly. I am not sure if the skull replacement is necessary in addition to buying the winker light assembly. I emailed my supplier about this.

White Orchid Pearl:

Skulls:
Left: 76251-T5R-P01ZE - ~$70.18
Right: 76201-T5R-P01ZE - ~$70.18

Light Assembly:

1 34300-T2A-A02 34300-T2A-A02 / LIGHT ASSY., R. SIDE TURN
1$43.07 2 34350-T2A-A02 34350-T2A-A02 / LIGHT ASSY., L. SIDE TURN
1$43.07

FYI: one could buy mirror parts for a 2015 EX-L CVT model online at this link below...

MIRROR ASSY., R. DOOR (COO)/MIRROR (REMOTE CONTROL) for 2015 Honda FIT

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 10-30-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Realized I had incomplete info
Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM
wow that's expensive just for skin and light.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by kenji815
wow that's expensive just for skin and light.

Yes, thus why I did not bother adding the winker lights. The heated side mirrors is more than enough.

On the other hand, if I can confirm one just needs to buy the light assembly and reuse the "skull" on the EX then the cost becomes feasible. It is not feasible if you need to buy the skull and light assembly together to have the winkers.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Confirmed from my Honda guy, you must buy the skull and light assembly in order to install winkers on the EX. Its doable, but the cost is too much in my eyes. Unless you REALLY want them, then the parts above are what you need (the skull parts for your specific color obviously)

The skulls of the EX do not have the cut out for the light assembly. The EX-L part#'s do. Kinda bummed, I like the look of winkers, but at roughly $100 (more $$ for some colors) per winker, that's pretty steep.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
How are the mirror heaters turned off and on in the EX-L? Separate switch, or same a the rear defroster? I'm thinking about doing this mod, and possibly the winkers, too (my car color is MSM, so they're a bit less expensive). I presume the winkers get wired into the same circuit as the rest of the turn signals.

es

Old 10-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
How are the mirror heaters turned off and on in the EX-L? Separate switch, or same a the rear defroster? I'm thinking about doing this mod, and possibly the winkers, too (my car color is MSM, so they're a bit less expensive). I presume the winkers get wired into the same circuit as the rest of the turn signals.

es

Same as the rear defroster switch, however, the rear window and side mirrors are on their own fused bus. If you connected the side mirrors directly to the rear window bus the fuse would likely pop. An SPST relay is tied off the defrost switch which activates the mirrors powered by its own fuse bus. (7.5A fuse) The time delay circuit is built into the defrost switch and will turn off both the side mirrors and rear window simultaneously. this is how I will be setting up my car this weekend. Looks to be Saturday will be raining like crazy, Sunday will be nice here in CT.

To hook up the winkers, you need to run wires to the blinker relay located under the drivers side dash. I'm not sure if the winkers also function as running lamps too. If thats the case splicing into the same circuit will work just the same. I briefly looked at it today after work. It seems doable. Again, both these mods are labor intensive, but not difficult. I may do the winkers after winter. The more I research it the more I want to do it despite the cost!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the detail - post pics, 'cause I ordered the parts yesterday...

es

Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Nice! Best of luck! I'll post what I can on my other thread mentioned above. In between the snowflakes I'll get this project done. I need to get it done at this point ha!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I saw some very fine snow flurries this morning doing farm chores (Middle West USA). Not ready for that yet!

es

Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
I saw some very fine snow flurries this morning doing farm chores (Middle West USA). Not ready for that yet!

es
Raining like crazy this AM, and unfortunately I do not have a garage. A snow flurry tonight but no accumulation. Guess this project will have to wait till tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Alright. Im about 3.5 hrs in and I just finished the drivers side. I haven't even started on the passenger side. If you do either of the mirror and/or winkers be prepared to remove the door from the vehicle. Where I guarantee you will get stuck is trying to fish the wires through the rubber grommet between the door and firewall. Its not a straight shot and impossible to snake through. The only way you can do it is remove the door, support it on an angle (have a friend hold it) so the grommet is straight and snake the wires through. Proceed to reattach the door. When doing that make sure you align the door correctly or it wont close right.

Keep everyone posted. I'll have pics and video later today. Likely not going to finish today losing daylight but despite the tedious work. It will be functional!!!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yikes! Guess I'd better clean out room in the heated shop to work on mine when parts are in. I have a growing pile (shark fin antenna, LED cabin lights, mirrors and more) to be done hopefully in one shot.

es

Old 11-02-2014, 06:04 PM
All the details of todays work can be found on my thread. I'm half done, but the snaking of the wires takes the longest due to the difficulty. Take that away this job is cake.

2015 EX 6MT - Crystal Black Pearl

Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM
m_x
Thanks so much for 1) being the guinea pig and 2) putting forth the effort to make this walk through! Outstanding work.

Was it difficult to realign the door what you were putting it back onto the car?

And have you had a chance to try them in action?!

Again, awesome work. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Was it difficult to realign the door what you were putting it back onto the car?

And have you had a chance to try them in action?!

Thanks for the kudos. The only difficult part with the door is holding the heavy fricking thing as you thread the bolts back in. No have not had a chance to try them yet. Hopefully this Saturday.

Also, that damn rubber grommet on the firewall is a sonofabitch to wiggle back into place. I was able to get it close, but I'm gonna try a bit of Dawn detergent so it slides easier. (theres really no way I could have made that last statement not sound dirty, but you know what I mean)

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 11-04-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Thanks for the kudos. The only difficult part with the door is holding the heavy fricking thing in as you thread the bolts back in. No have not had a chance to try them yet. Hopefully this Saturday.

Also, that damn rubber grommet on the firewall is a sonofabitch to wiggle back into place. I was able to get it close, but I'm gonna try a bit of Dawn detergent so it slides easier. (theres really no way I could have made that last statement not sound dirty, but you know what I mean)
+1 Rep for making FF awesome!!

Quick Reply: EXL mirrors on EX?