3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Yes, another tinting thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 AM
Yes, another tinting thread.

I didn't see this discussed in any of the other threads about tinting so I thought I would post it here. I just got my new 2015 LX and am living in the state of Virginia. Here what's legal is 50% on the front windows, and 35% for rear and back. Do you think it would look silly to have the front 50% and the back and rear darker at 35%?

I want dark tint to keep that sun out and off the black interior. However, I don't want to risk being pulled over and getting a ticket about it.

Pictures of my new Fit below

Old 07-13-2014, 02:38 AM
No, I will not look silly at all, a car with no tint looks silly. On the car I have now I have 50% front and 20% sides and back and it looks awesome. In Ohio you can legally have 50% on the fronts and you can do whatever you want to the sides and back, you can spray paint it black if you want. I did the 50% on the fronts because I have a mental issue with giving the cops ANY reason to pull me over, I just don't want them having anything on me. I honestly could have gone to 35% on the fronts and not had a problem, but I didn't. I did the back and sides at 20% but my next car the sides and back will be at 5%. It used to be (in the old days ) a real pain in the azz backing up at night with super dark tint on your car but with the advent of the back up camera that is really not an issue any longer. Yes, I know you still need to look around BUT once you have a back up camera you will NEVER buy a car without one again.

Last edited by fitnew; 07-13-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
My fit is at the tint place now, pick it up tomorrow getting 18% in the back and 25% in the front. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Ok, done yesterday…tint and clear bra paint protection….

before-
Name:  Image_zps8d0b42ef.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  98.9 KB
after-
Name:  Image_zps8bf173b1.jpg
Views: 3538
Size:  103.8 KB

happy, happy, happy!

Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by 15/SILVER/EXL
Ok, done yesterday…tint and clear bra paint protection….

happy, happy, happy!
Wow looks great. What percentage of tint is that on the car front and back?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by ncoflin
I didn't see this discussed in any of the other threads about tinting so I thought I would post it here. I just got my new 2015 LX and am living in the state of Virginia. Here what's legal is 50% on the front windows, and 35% for rear and back. Do you think it would look silly to have the front 50% and the back and rear darker at 35%?

I want dark tint to keep that sun out and off the black interior. However, I don't want to risk being pulled over and getting a ticket about it.

I also live in Northern VA and am worried about getting unnecessary tickets for tinting. I went with LA Tint in Manassas and got Virginia-legal, 50% front and 35% side and rear windows. These pictures don't do it justice - it looks great and there it doesn't look funny with the two different tints. This is how stock Honda Odyssey's look, BTW.

Having trouble with pic; will try some more.

2015 Honda FIT EX-L NAVI
Modern Steel Metallic
Gentex GENK40A Autodimming mirror with Homelink
Tinted - 50%/35% Lumar Pinnacle Series

Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Wow looks great. What percentage of tint is that on the car front and back?
Thanks!

Legal in NC 35% all the way around. No tickets from the PoPo!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM
posting pics tidbits.

Originally Posted by VAnative

Having trouble with pic; will try some more.
You have to have 20 posts for pics to work correctly or use photobucket. They have a link that is designed for forums. That worked before I was at 20 posts where everything else didn't. When I used photobucket, I just pasted the link in this window from photobucket rather than using the picture button available in the formatting bar above.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'm planning on 35% front (legal limit) and 20% for the back and hatch. That's pretty much what my Tacoma has and although you can tell a difference between the front and back side windows, I don't think it detracts from the appearance at all.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by chazmr
I'm planning on 35% front (legal limit) and 20% for the back and hatch. That's pretty much what my Tacoma has and although you can tell a difference between the front and back side windows, I don't think it detracts from the appearance at all.
It will look great!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member

Here is my fresh tinted Windows 25% front and 18% rear. 25% is the legal limit in Washington

Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Here is my fresh tinted Windows 25% front and 18% rear. 25% is the legal limit in Washington[/QUOTE]

Looks great! Wish we could legally have darker tint...in NC.... oh well. enjoy!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
If you are getting "barely-legal tint" be sure to keep a copy of the sales invoice showing this with your registration. Don't keep the original multi-part form as they fade.

Having that documentation may save you a fix-it ticket down the road, particularly if you are subject to "driving while [whatever]" traffic stops.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM

If you live in Virginia, you can ask your Primary Care Physician (or optometrist) to complete this form to legalize the darker tint in front:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf

Old 02-20-2015, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Any level of tint will protect both you and your interior finishes from the harmful ray's of the sun. My daughter did not want a dark tint job, so she went with 55% on the sides and back. She did however use 18% on the sunroof and 4" sun strip on the front windshield.

Like her Father, she is fair skinned and wanted to avoid any possible chance of skin cancer, so she drives with the windows up during the summer. The tint can't protect you or your car interior if you leave your windows down.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Trucker with sun damaged skin.

Originally Posted by Vanguard
Any level of tint will protect both you and

your interior finishes from the harmful ray's of the sun. My daughter did not want a dark tint job, so she went with 55% on the sides and back. She did however use 18% on the sunroof and 4" sun strip on the front windshield.

Like her Father, she is fair skinned and wanted to avoid any possible chance of skin cancer, so she drives with the windows up during the summer. The tint can't protect you or your car interior if you leave your windows down.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:38 PM
I got tint done to the driver's window (about $45). Note that the tint they put on is clear (can't see the tint) but it blocks around 99% of the bad rays from the sun. Knew they put it on because it has small bubbles in it the first few days. Doing window tints is a skilled job. If you DIY you will not get good results until you do a bunch of them (unless you are a natural at it).

Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Beware of your sunroof.....unless you drive with the cover closed. It looks dark, but it is just dyed glass (no real protection).

Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 AM
I did Llumar ATC40 on mine, and I'm really liking the results! I was initially going to get the 50 (my main concern was to keep it from looking ghetto, haha), but the nice folks at Tint King recommended the darker option, and I'm glad I followed their advice.

The best thing about the slightly darker tint is that when I park in our dimly lit city parking garage that has had some smash and grab issues it's really hard to see anything inside the car, since the interior is black. I'm actually no longer sure that I need the cargo cover.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
My baby

Name:  20141108_160910_zps5e475598.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  gadgets1_zps38c54557.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  190.0 KB

Quick Reply: Yes, another tinting thread.