3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Dash cam installed - no tools, no modifications

Old 06-14-2015, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
So does it record you too or just the road?

Thanks
It's facing out, so it records the road.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Thank you from 2018

Just installed a cheap YI dash cam in my ‘17 EX and your description and photos were helpful. I used a trim tool left over from the College Hills interior light set upgrade. It went smoothly. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 AM
Old thread but you can pull the rubber seal away from the A pillar and run any wiring behind the airbag apparatus.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thiamin
Just installed a cheap YI dash cam in my ‘17 EX and your description and photos were helpful. I used a trim tool left over from the College Hills interior light set upgrade. It went smoothly. Thanks!
Thanks. Good to know people are still reading this thread.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 PM
I just ordered this camera setup from Amazon​​​​​

REXING REXING
Rexing V1LG Dual Channel Car Dash Cam FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with HD Rear Camera, Built-in GPS Logger, 16GB Memory Card, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording

Amazon Amazon

It comes with a 2nd rear camera and optional hardwire kit.
I'll report back on the install when it shows up.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Got my Rexing dual camera.
Heres a few pics.

Rear:

Screenshot of the GPS software

Old 04-26-2018, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fituna

That's an impressive computer display.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I routed my power cord from the passenger side a-pillar, under the glove box, and then to the center console/cubby area

Old 09-01-2018, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
Thanks. Good to know people are still reading this thread.
I'm still reading this thread. I watched your YT video on this install as well. I have held off on getting a dash cam for lack of confidence in running wires, and not wanting the wire to hang out in the open. Now I just need to select a camera and memory card. Is the camera that you chose still the choice to make? Are there newer versions or better options out there now?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
I'm still reading this thread. I watched your YT video on this install as well. I have held off on getting a dash cam for lack of confidence in running wires, and not wanting the wire to hang out in the open. Now I just need to select a camera and memory card. Is the camera that you chose still the choice to make? Are there newer versions or better options out there now?
I added a separate fuse panel under the dash. I ran a hot wire (fused) directly from the battery. I connect accessories to that fuse panel so there's no interference with the car's electrical system.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fituna
Heres a few pics.

Rear:

Screenshot of the GPS software

That looks nice, but it's pricey. I got a couple of $30 cameras a few years ago. Nothing fance, but they're still recording.

https://smile.amazon.com/Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B071LPV7G6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535891390&sr=8-3&keywords=rexing+dual+camera

Mine from 2014
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHKUBLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eventually, states will pass laws requiring drivers to surrender their dash cams in case of an accident.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Small update.

My dual cam Rexing has worked well EXCEPT that the mini USB cord/plug/hole that powers and sends signal from the rear to the front main camera is crap.
I should have gone with the single front camera model as the rear drops out constantly.

The mini USB plug barely stays in place as it enters the rear camera.
I'll try to rig up a stabilizer or something to hold it in place.

Even worse, when the camera detects the signal drop from the rear, it freezes up.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM
I am curious how you get power to the rear camera, but i see the videohas a very long wire. Are you still liking it ? Almost triple the price of the originally linked camera seems big. I might try the cheaper one first as rear is a bonus, and HD is good for now

I don't use my front power socket currently, so i'll plug in there, but eventually i foresee myself installing direct to the fuse box. Any recommended places to tap into there ?

Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ercdvs
I am curious how you get power to the rear camera, but i see the video

has a very long wire. Are you still liking it ? Almost triple the price of the originally linked camera seems big. I might try the cheaper one first as rear is a bonus, and HD is good for now

I don't use my front power socket currently, so i'll plug in there, but eventually i foresee myself installing direct to the fuse box. Any recommended places to tap into there ?
It's easy enough to remove the appropriate trim along the base of the doorways and run the wire under that. There are other wires in that channel, and I zip-tied it to them. I put a 12v outlet in the hatch area, in the panel on the driver's side. It's controlled by a switch on the dash.

I put two separate fuse boxes in my car. One is always hot, so I can charge my phone - or whatever - while the car isn't running. I added a 12v outlet near the original one in the dash, and I put another one in the panel to the left of the passenger. Both are controlled by dash switch. The other one is connected to the fuse panel for use when the ignition is switched on. For both of them, I used a chopstick to push a wire through a grommet in the firewall. That wire is connected to the positive terminal of the battery through an inline fuse. That main wire has a fuse, and every wire coming off each fuse panel has a fuse, so it's a very safe system. If you do something like this, label the wires, and draw yourself a basic diagram.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 PM
my rexing dual cam came today, and just barely got it mounted before it got too dark to adjust. Too bad my sd card is late arriving today and will be here, tomorrow i guess?

I am using the 12 v adaptor temporarily until i figure out what i want to do, and i have the power wire across the passenger side liner, to the dash and across it near the mini window, then down the door molding. Seeing the install above i can redo it to be a bit cleaner.

The rear seems to hold well, but ill see driving around. I am wondering the best way to get that wire going... from the front i took it down the drivers side to the car side of the hatch door, and doubled up the extra in the liner there, and left a good slack to just cut across the space to the rear window. I am debating popping the rubber caps to use the rear brae light wire to span the gap instead, but that is going to be more effort.

the rear is small enough i wont mind, but will that red light go out? Going to have to probably adjust the camera pointing once i can record. . Pics when its daytime

Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Hi all, just to note that I wired up a dashcam today and removed the A-pillar cover on a 2018 Jazz to confirm exactly where the airbag is located. As shown in both photos, the airbag is not entirely contained within the headliner, nor is it entirely contained within the A-pillar. Instead, it extends across both. Therefore, routing the cable across the edge of the headliner using the OP's routing to get to the door trim means that the cable goes right over the airbag, obstructing deployment. To have a safe setup where the cable is entirely hidden, the cable needs to follow the existing electrical wiring at least until it clears the airbag itself. Personally I routed it as shown in the second picture (also worth noting that I disconnected the battery first)

Old 11-14-2023, 08:48 PM
I have looked at dash cams before and I couldn't find one that I liked.

Ideally I would like one that will automatically delete the contents of the SD card once it's full. I don't want to worry about removing and formatting the storage device whenever it's full.

I am also wondering about the power draw of these cameras recording when the vehicle is parked. Seems like a good way to kill the battery. I would probably just run it while I'm driving.

Finally, I am wondering about mounting solutions for a rear facing camera. There is a baby seat anchor in the back that is unused. Maybe I could mount it there somehow.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virulence
I have looked at dash cams before and I couldn't find one that I liked.

Ideally I would like one that will automatically delete the contents of the SD card once it's full. I don't want to worry about removing and formatting the storage device whenever it's full.

I am also wondering about the power draw of these cameras recording when the vehicle is parked. Seems like a good way to kill the battery. I would probably just run it while I'm driving.

Finally, I am wondering about mounting solutions for a rear facing camera. There is a baby seat anchor in the back that is unused. Maybe I could mount it there somehow.
I added a separate fuse box for accessories that work when the ignition is on. That keeps the wires out of the way, and it doesn't use a 12v outlet. I have three Viofo cameras. Basically, all I want is to be able to show that an accident wasn't my fault. Reading a license plate number can be difficult for those cameras. The Viofo has gotten good reviews, and it works well, giving location and speed, if you have it set that way.

I have one in the front and another one on the rear window. I ran a 12v wire to the rear of the car for easy connecting, and I have a 12v outlet there, too. I prefer to use two 'front cameras" rather than a kit with front and rear. The rear cameras are usually of lower quality. The Viofo is often on sale. I recently got one for my son's Fit - rear mount - for $79.

Amazon.com: VIOFO A119 V3 2K Dash Cam 2560x1440P Quad HD+ Car Dash Camera, Ultra Clear Night Vision, 140-Degree Wide Angle, GPS Included, Buffered Parking Mode, True HDR, Motion Detection, G-Sensor, Time Lapse : Electronics Amazon.com: VIOFO A119 V3 2K Dash Cam 2560x1440P Quad HD+ Car Dash Camera, Ultra Clear Night Vision, 140-Degree Wide Angle, GPS Included, Buffered Parking Mode, True HDR, Motion Detection, G-Sensor, Time Lapse : Electronics

Old 11-15-2023, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I added a separate fuse box for accessories that work when the ignition is on. That keeps the wires out of the way, and it doesn't use a 12v outlet. I have three Viofo cameras. Basically, all I want is to be able to show that an accident wasn't my fault. Reading a license plate number can be difficult for those cameras. The Viofo has gotten good reviews, and it works well, giving location and speed, if you have it set that way.

I have one in the front and another one on the rear window. I ran a 12v wire to the rear of the car for easy connecting, and I have a 12v outlet there, too. I prefer to use two 'front cameras" rather than a kit with front and rear. The rear cameras are usually of lower quality. The Viofo is often on sale. I recently got one for my son's Fit - rear mount - for $79.

Amazon.com: VIOFO A119 V3 2K Dash Cam 2560x1440P Quad HD+ Car Dash Camera, Ultra Clear Night Vision, 140-Degree Wide Angle, GPS Included, Buffered Parking Mode, True HDR, Motion Detection, G-Sensor, Time Lapse : Electronics
Thank you for the input, sir. I have figured out how I'm going to do the install and I found some products that will suit my needs.

Living in Florida there is no way a stick pad is going to hold on through the brutally hot summer with high UV index and high humidity. My solutions was to find a dash cam that is compatible with a rear view mirror mounting clamp. This will provide a good hold. This camera also has automatic deleting of old footage which is great.

As far as the rear camera I plan to attach it to the baby anchor in the rear headliner. I will likely have to drill a couple of holes into the baby anchor plastic cover to mount the (small ) rear facing camera. If need be I can attach a zip tie from the latching cover to the metal hook to secure the flimsy plastic latch. This plastic cover is cheap and easy to replace if need be so I don't mind putting a few holes into it.

As for power, this dash cam comes with very long cables that I will route to the center console 12v cigarette power source. Easy peasy.

Mirror Mount Clamp:
Amazon Amazon

Dash Cam Front / Rear:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Virulence; 11-15-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virulence
Thank you for the input, sir. I have figured out how I'm going to do the install and I found some products that will suit my needs.

Living in Florida there is no way a stick pad is going to hold on through the brutally hot summer with high UV index and high humidity. My solutions was to find a dash cam that is compatible with a rear view mirror mounting clamp. This will provide a good hold. This camera also has automatic deleting of old footage which is great.

As far as the rear camera I plan to attach it to the baby anchor in the rear headliner. I will likely have to drill a couple of holes into the baby anchor plastic cover to mount the (small ) rear facing camera. If need be I can attach a zip tie from the latching cover to the metal hook to secure the flimsy plastic latch. This plastic cover is cheap and easy to replace if need be so I don't mind putting a few holes into it.

As for power, this dash cam comes with very long cables that I will route to the center console 12v cigarette power source. Easy peasy.

Mirror Mount Clamp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTRRPTJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Dash Cam Front / Rear:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q5R22DV...v_ov_lig_dp_it
You're right about that suction cup not holding. Even in NY, a suction cup is worthless. The camera I have uses a 3M sticky pad to attach the mounting plate. The camera easily slides in and out of that plate.

I think all dash cams fill the memory card and then record over the old files.

When you get the camera mounted, make sure it is aimed exactly where you want it.

Have fun!