3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Variable Intermittent Wiper Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Variable Intermittent Wiper Upgrade?

Has anyone figured out how to upgrade the wipers to variable intermittent? I installed the variable intermittent wiper switch from a 2014 CR-V (35256-TV0-A11), which functions the same as the regular switch but the variable piece does not work. Older Fits seemed to require additional pins be added. Any thoughts?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 PM
your going to have to get your hands on a wiring diagram and verify al needed wiring is connected... good luck with that....

Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I too am wondering if this can work. If I remember correctly, on the GE Fits, you could only do this if your car was a manual transmission. The automatics didn't have a spot to put the needed pin or whatever to get it to work. Glad I have a manual now and no longer have an automatic. I'd love to do this mod if someone gets it figured out.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I too am wondering if this can work. If I remember correctly, on the GE Fits, you could only do this if your car was a manual transmission. The automatics didn't have a spot to put the needed pin or whatever to get it to work. Glad I have a manual now and no longer have an automatic. I'd love to do this mod if someone gets it figured out.
wrong, works on some autos.......I have successfully completed this mod on my auto GE

you essentially need to run a wire from the stalk to the fuse box.....figuring that out for the 3rd gen and then finding the right size pins will be the fun part lol......

I love the feature.....cant understand why Honda does this on "lower" end models

Old 08-17-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by k-man
wrong, works on some autos.......I have successfully completed this mod on my auto GE
Sweet, so there's hope for everyone! I can't wait until someone gets it figured out.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

you essentially need to run a wire from the stalk to the fuse box.....figuring that out for the 3rd gen and then finding the right size pins will be the fun part lol......

I love the feature.....cant understand why Honda does this on "lower" end models
Did you do a DIY for this mod? I would be interested in dong this to my Auto.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjg1087
Has anyone figured out how to upgrade the wipers to variable intermittent? I installed the variable intermittent wiper switch from a 2014 CR-V (35256-TV0-A11), which functions the same as the regular switch but the variable piece does not work. Older Fits seemed to require additional pins be added. Any thoughts?
When I got in my Fit for the first time, I couldn't believe that Honda still lacks that feature. I had an '80 Civic and a '97, and both lacked that variable control. I haven't seen any other car without that feature.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the trouble to change it. Having said that, I did buy a variable control that I had planned to install on the rear wiper of my '80 Civic, but I never did.

There are units like that available, but is worth the effort?

Amazon.com: intermittent wipers

Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Because that's what makes a lower end model lower end. You can save a couple grand and get the same car without some really nice features, or you can spend on the car you actually want.

I wanted audio controls on the steering wheel, but I liked the price drop to a Base even more. Variable intermittents and heated mirrors on the Sport would have made me think longer.

But they'd rather use those to lure us away from the Fit to other platforms entirely.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
When I got in my Fit for the first time, I couldn't believe that Honda still lacks that feature. I had an '80 Civic and a '97, and both lacked that variable control. I haven't seen any other car without that feature.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the trouble to change it. Having said that, I did buy a variable control that I had planned to install on the rear wiper of my '80 Civic, but I never did.

There are units like that available, but is worth the effort?

Amazon.com: intermittent wipers
It's really not that hard or costly to do this mod, other than for the first person to go in and figure out to which pin in the panel the wire goes to........for the followers it just takes getting the parts (pins are usually the hardest part to source). Other than tracking parts, the entire job took me 30mins to do and maybe $30?

Totally worth it to not have to touch my wipers in slow rain, and it's nice having them slow even further when stopped.

There is a GE DIY on the forums.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Gk

Good to see the switches and wiring of the GK
I wonder if the guts look like a GE....

Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Late to the party, but here is what I found. I limited this to 09-11 for now.
Honda used 4 different fuse panels MICU's
Year Model Trans fusebox/MICU
09-11 Fit man 38200-TK6-A11
09-11 Fit auto 38200-TK6-A21
09-11 Sport man 38200-TK6-A31
09-11 Sport auto 38200-TK6-A01

The wiring diagrams at Honda Jazz / Honda Fit GE8 2009 onwards Online Repair Manual
show two wiring variations where the wiper switch plugs into the MICU
It appears there is no way to solve the issue with the Sport Automatics due to its MICU not having the internal circuitry (as shown by the transistor) for the pink wire. You would have to disassemble the MICU to see where Q7 goes. I don't think I want to do that...yet.
Does this agree with everyone's findings?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Because that's what makes a lower end model lower end. You can save a couple grand and get the same car without some really nice features, or you can spend on the car you actually want.

I wanted audio controls on the steering wheel, but I liked the price drop to a Base even more. Variable intermittents and heated mirrors on the Sport would have made me think longer.

But they'd rather use those to lure us away from the Fit to other platforms entirely.
It's interesting to see how they saved money on these cars. the lining of the trunk area is like a heavy cardboard, covered with fuzz. Most cars have plastic. There are no mud flaps or cargo cover. They save money building the cars without those things, and then they make money selling them as options.

I've gotten a few extras - rear seat covers, mud flaps, cargo cover - but I figure that's all part of the cost of the car, getting it the way I want it.

I wanted to do what I've done with other cars and add a 12v outlet to the rear cargo area, but that lining material isn't very sturdy. I think I might have to put a plastic backing on it and drill through that for the outlet.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
It's interesting to see how they saved money on these cars.
In the US market it appears the Fit is designed to be an entry-level Honda.
In non-US markets it appears you can get the Fit/Jazz wit upscale items like 4-wheel disk brakes, digital climate control, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, phone controls, Bluetooth, inside fuel door release (cable and electric versions!), dual horns, heated mirrors, etc.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by demouser
...you can get the Fit/Jazz wit upscale items like... dual horns, heated mirrors, etc.
I usually buy a pair of FIAMM horns. They're cheap and loud, although the single on the Fit is better than most. It looks like most of the front end will ave to come off, which is what I had to do with the last two cars.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Diagrams

would be good to get pictures of the connector and diagrams to see if the options is availabe in the GK as it is on the GEs

Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by camivill
would be good to get pictures of the connector and diagrams to see if the options is available in the GK as it is on the GEs
Obviously, this conversion is possible, but is it worth the time, money, and effort? Not for me, it isn't. I can either live with the standard intermittent setting or just give the stalk an upward push and clear the windshield.

I'm looking for other mods I can make that are worth the time and money.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by demouser
Late to the party, but here is what I found. I limited this to 09-11 for now.
Honda used 4 different fuse panels MICU's
Year Model Trans fusebox/MICU
09-11 Fit man 38200-TK6-A11
09-11 Fit auto 38200-TK6-A21
09-11 Sport man 38200-TK6-A31
09-11 Sport auto 38200-TK6-A01

The wiring diagrams at Honda Jazz / Honda Fit GE8 2009 onwards Online Repair Manual
show two wiring variations where the wiper switch plugs into the MICU
It appears there is no way to solve the issue with the Sport Automatics due to its MICU not having the internal circuitry (as shown by the transistor) for the pink wire. You would have to disassemble the MICU to see where Q7 goes. I don't think I want to do that...yet.
Does this agree with everyone's findings?

Had to quote your whole post.... damn..., you did some research.

There were some AT owners (I think Canadian & overseas models) who were able to get this mod done for their GE8's.
Even though I got an 09 MT, I was unsure if it would work until I actually did it, because I got the Navi model. Well I did it (a while ago), and it worked... one of my favorite mods.

It sucks we don't get some of the options other markets get, but I guess the fun is in diy'ing it...
That reminds me, I gotta try and install my heated mirrors this weekend.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
I did a fair bit of research. The wire to be added is likely to be on the same MICU connector as the other wiper wires, connector B. The only pins that are unused on Connector B are pins 2, 18, and 19. If anyone here is willing to figure out which of those, I'd be interested in the results. I'm hesitant to experiment on my own. I have not been able to find any reference to compare with Fit/Jazz models available overseas. It's possible that none of those pins will do anything.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Connector Found

I decided to revisit this now that the HR-V is out. The HR-V service manual indicates it's B18 on the MICU that controls this function. All other MICU wires for the switch are common between the HR-V and the Fit. I therefore propose that if we add a wire from B18 on the MICU to pin 10 on the wiper switch harness, we can add the variable intermittent wiper switch, part 35256-TV0-A11. I may attempt this in the future.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by sjg1087
I decided to revisit this now that the HR-V is out. The HR-V service manual indicates it's B18 on the MICU that controls this function. All other MICU wires for the switch are common between the HR-V and the Fit. I therefore propose that if we add a wire from B18 on the MICU to pin 10 on the wiper switch harness, we can add the variable intermittent wiper switch, part 35256-TV0-A11. I may attempt this in the future.
Definitely interested in doing this at some point! I did the same to my Mazda Protege5, but that one literally just required the switch from a Ford Escape. Wish it was that easy!

Quick Reply: Variable Intermittent Wiper Upgrade?