3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Installing the shift knob from the Japanese Fit RS (pic heavy post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Installing the shift knob from the Japanese Fit RS (pic heavy post)

Hey guys, I've been eyeing the shift knob to the Japanese Fit RS for a while now, and I finally got my hands on one. I bought it off a guy on ebay that sells JDM parts. He didn't have an auction listed, but I just messaged him and he was able to get it for me. It was $96 with shipping from Japan, which only took about 5 days! I ran into some issues with it, since it's not exactly compatible with our USDM Fits like I thought, but here's what you need to do to install this beauty.

Here's a closeup of the knob and its part number: 54102-TF0-R02ZD.

Name:  yoAGtKR.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  2.21 MB

Another glamour shot.

Name:  6jvLjiw.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  2.73 MB

Here's the before shot with the old stock knob. To remove the knob, you pull down on the silver shift boot holder/grommet (not sure what to call it, it's that little silver piece right below the knob). Once that's loose, you just unscrew it.

Name:  PoZlqtN.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  4.07 MB

Here's the two side by side. You can see how much bigger around the JDM one is.

Name:  adjkWrL.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  2.17 MB

From this shot you can also see how much taller it is.

Name:  Fc2gf7A.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  2.99 MB

The old knob weighed in at 62 g.

Name:  jSYfSDC.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  2.84 MB

The new knob is about 2.5 times as heavy, at 159 g.

Name:  xZG9quo.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  3.01 MB

Here's where I started running into issues. From here, you can see that the JDM knob is obviously fit for a different shift boot holder/grommet (notice the little tabs sticking out in 4 separate directions that the old USDM knob doesn't have).

Name:  afzsRvK.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  3.10 MB

Here's another shot of the tabs. They have to go if we're going to get this installed properly.

Name:  XViOSht.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  3.10 MB

Here's the other problem I ran into. The locking tabs for the JDM knob stick down about 8mm more than the USDM knob. That means when I install it, the shift boot holder will have that much of a gap between it and the knob. I couldn't think of a way to get around this.

Name:  EnfnQol.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  3.57 MB

I took a dremel to the tabs on all 4 sides to remove them, first using a cutting wheel to shave them off, then a grinding attachment to smooth it out.

Name:  zAPjXvN.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  1.87 MB

Here's the new knob installed. It looks pretty, but there's that damn gap below it.

Name:  DB3nRXP.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  3.06 MB

Here are a couple more shots of the gap. I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I was thinking about trying to superglue the silver piece to the bottom of the knob, but I'm not sure it would hold. Plus it could end up ripping the leather wrap off of the knob, since that's where the leather starts, and it doesn't seem like it's held on very tight.

Name:  WC16RUi.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  3.07 MB

Name:  xmBqFzj.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  3.38 MB

The new knob shifts wonderfully though, and I like the size and heavy feel. I highly recommend this knob, even for the price and work needed to make it fit. Enjoy!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Nice, glad you finally got the knob! You should have bought the jdm shiftboot instead of dremeling, imo

Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I thought about that, but it would have probably cost me another $80 after shipping. Not really worth it to me.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Agree with Tofu the JDM shift boot is a must. The gap would make my OCD go nuts...

Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to just glue it once I get ahold of the correct adhesive. I'll post pics when it's done.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I'm going to just glue it once I get ahold of the correct adhesive. I'll post pics when it's done.
Gorilla glue?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Just lift the center console up and wrap electrical tape and a thick ziptie around above where the little L goes. It will probably pay to have a helper to hold the console up or prop it up or something. It will take up the extra 1/4 inch and keep the boot from falling. You won't be able to see it. I say use electrical tape because the outside is rubbery and the ziptie won't move at all.

You won't be able to take off the shift knob easily but it will be the same thing as if you were to use adhesive or glue, except it's not permanent and if you want to take off the knob all you have to do is lift the console, snip the tie and take a blade to the tape.

Source: Me because this is what I do when I brake my boot's collars, and I ALWAYS find a way to break my collar somehow.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Consider this or something similar:
TWM Performance Shift Knobs - Shift Knob Hardware

Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 PM
m_x
Awesome post and sweet upgrade. I added this to the ever growing list of accessories haha. Can you PM the name of the seller?

I'm wondering if instead of chopping those fins off completely, maybe you can use a dremel to reshape them into makeshift locking tabs? I haven't looked at anything except these pictures so maybe that wouldn't work at all, just my first idea.

TofuShop might have the right idea with that adapter too though.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
I think going with the JDM boot would be the best route for a seamless fit. He can probably give you a quote on that and combine the shipping. His ebay username is plijokkjiu46521kkjh. Then doing the entire install would be similar to this video:

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Gorilla glue?
I'm probably going to use Amazing Goop Household.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 AM
a drop of epoxy on each side of those prongs would work, or just put a zip tie around each prong + wrap in some kind of soft tape. Even double sided tape would work around the prong. You just have to add something there to make the prong "shorter".

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 AM
If you're going to glue it I would say epoxy is the way to go for a permanent glue job. What I would do, though, is use hot glue. just put a small bead around the boot ring and hold it up to the shift knob for about 10 seconds. It would probably hold just fine, but if you ever want to remove it, you can scrape it off with your fingernail.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 AM
I LOVE this knob - night and day compared to the silly little knob they put in the American version. I'd agree the right route to go would be to replace the boot as well if that's what it takes to get a proper fit. Anyone recommend a reliable seller for these parts, or is EBay pretty much the only option currently?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I like the leather knob, but the acura rsx type s shift knob is also a direct fit, it comes with its own shift boot ring, nut, and shift lever cover. Name:  CD02E4B9-B6F7-47E3-975F-D92D5628D750.jpg
Views: 5293
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Apexracing
I like the leather knob, but the acura rsx type s shift knob is also a direct fit, it comes with its own shift boot ring...
Nice, but looking for the look and feel of a leather knob, to match the oem leather steering wheel. So far I'd say that stock rs shifter takes the cake for that.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by FloridaFitFreak
Nice, but looking for the look and feel of a leather knob, to match the oem leather steering wheel. So far I'd say that stock rs shifter takes the cake for that.
If i had the leather wheel i would probably agree. I don’t at this time so i like the titanium knob better. But if i go with the exl wheel i might change my mind.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Anyone recommend a reliable seller for these parts, or is EBay pretty much the only option currently?
I can verify that my local Honda dealer was unable to order any JDM parts, even gave him the part number from this thread.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
I LOVE this knob - night and day compared to the silly little knob they put in the American version. I'd agree the right route to go would be to replace the boot as well if that's what it takes to get a proper fit. Anyone recommend a reliable seller for these parts, or is EBay pretty much the only option currently?
Yeah, for the seller I went through ebay, but didn't buy through ebay. I just saw that he sold JDM parts, and sent him a message seeing if he could get the knob. He gave me a quote, and I paypal'd him the money without actually doing an ebay auction. His ebay user name is plijokkjiu46521kkjh if you want to contact him. Also you could try contacting the guys at japanparts.com Make sure you specify that you don't want the orange/red stitching though, you want black stitching if you want the exact same knob as above.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 AM
maybe a dumb question, but how do you remove the stock knob? The ring twists with it. Do you just pull the ring down? I don't want to risk breaking the clips if this is incorrect.

Quick Reply: Installing the shift knob from the Japanese Fit RS (pic heavy post)