3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

WC Lathewerks Weighted Sphere Shift Knob (Flame Burnt Bronze)

Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
WC Lathewerks Weighted Sphere Shift Knob (Flame Burnt Bronze)

Hi all,

So if you've read my 6MT review thread (Click here), then you know about my discontent for the shift feel on the stock Fit. My first order of business was to get a weighted shift knob. After much searching, i found a local NJ company called WC Lathewerks (Welcome to WC Lathe Werks -- I Build Truly Unique Shift Knobs. Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA! - WC Lathe Werks | Truly Unique Shift Knobs, Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA!) which is hugely supported in the Subaru/FRS/BRZ community. After seeing hundreds of positive reviews and nothing but praise, i decided to get a knob since they have a style that I like. (There are MANY different knobs available, so if this one doesn't fit your taste, there are many others available).

I contacted Chris from WC Lathewerks and sent him measurements for the USDM GK5 and he was able to bang out the PERFECT knob on his first try. I am beyond impressed on the results. The quality of the knob is superb. Absolutely gorgeous. I chose the stainless steel sphere in flame burnt bronze with 6MT engraving. The knob itself comes brushed, so it adds texture and hides scratches:

The measurements i gave positions the knob all the way to the bottom of the shaft/threads having it sit about an inch lower than stock. At the bottom of the knob, there is a little nub which tucks perfectly into the collar of the stock shift boot. On the shaft of the shifter, there is a piece that prevents the boot from going any lower. So basically, the nub on the bottom of the knob holds the collar in place against the shifter so it cannot move up or down. PERFECT!

I am HIGHLY recommending all 6MT drivers to get a weighted shift knob. The shift feel is night and day. Shifts feel heavier and more direct when going into gear. I drove around town after and couldn't be happier. My only regret was not doing this sooner. Since i already got the measurements for WC Lathewerks, i suggest getting one from them for the perfect fit. (Other universal knobs available online won't have this nub on the bottom of the knob to hold the collar of the shift boot!)

As a disclaimer, i paid full price and i do NOT benefit at all from promoting this product. I am just super happy with the results and i wanted to share.

Here's a few more teaser pics to get you all motivated in buying one:

Cliffnotes: A MUST BUY for all 6MT owners!
Welcome to WC Lathe Werks -- I Build Truly Unique Shift Knobs. Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA! - WC Lathe Werks | Truly Unique Shift Knobs, Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Hi all,

So if you've read my 6MT review thread (Click here), then you know about my discontent for the shift feel on the stock Fit. My first order of business was to get a weighted shift knob. After much searching, i found a local NJ company called WC Lathewerks (Welcome to WC Lathe Werks -- I Build Truly Unique Shift Knobs. Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA! - WC Lathe Werks | Truly Unique Shift Knobs, Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA!) which is hugely supported in the Subaru/FRS/BRZ community. After seeing hundreds of positive reviews and nothing but praise, i decided to get a knob since they have a style that I like. (There are MANY different knobs available, so if this one doesn't fit your taste, there are many others available).

I contacted Chris from WC Lathewerks and sent him measurements for the USDM GK5 and he was able to bang out the PERFECT knob on his first try. I am beyond impressed on the results. The quality of the knob is superb. Absolutely gorgeous. I chose the stainless steel sphere in flame burnt bronze with 6MT engraving. The knob itself comes brushed, so it adds texture and hides scratches:

The measurements i gave positions the knob all the way to the bottom of the shaft/threads having it sit about an inch lower than stock. At the bottom of the knob, there is a little nub which tucks perfectly into the collar of the stock shift boot. On the shaft of the shifter, there is a piece that prevents the boot from going any lower. So basically, the nub on the bottom of the knob holds the collar in place against the shifter so it cannot move up or down. PERFECT!

I am HIGHLY recommending all 6MT drivers to get a weighted shift knob. The shift feel is night and day. Shifts feel heavier and more direct when going into gear. I drove around town after and couldn't be happier. My only regret was not doing this sooner. Since i already got the measurements for WC Lathewerks, i suggest getting one from them for the perfect fit. (Other universal knobs available online won't have this nub on the bottom of the knob to hold the collar of the shift boot!)

As a disclaimer, i paid full price and i do NOT benefit at all from promoting this product. I am just super happy with the results and i wanted to share.

Here's a few more teaser pics to get you all motivated in buying one:

Cliffnotes: A MUST BUY for all 6MT owners!
Welcome to WC Lathe Werks -- I Build Truly Unique Shift Knobs. Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA! - WC Lathe Werks | Truly Unique Shift Knobs, Proudly Hand-Crafted in The USA!
Looking sexy! I miss my circut hero but again I drive AT now

Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. That looks really well crafted, When I purchased my 11 Fit Sport years ago I made sure it was delivered with the Mugen short shifter and knob. It improves greatly the driver enjoyment and was by far the best manual I have ever owned, out of 12 manual cars.

Big congrats and thanks for sharing. Jersey Represent!!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I never would have guessed. Thanks for the info and pics. That knob is now on my wish list.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
I have the feeling that this may get too cold during winter.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Had to comment again after driving. Feels completely different, in a good way.

Stainless knobs will get hot/cold, so i bought the optional velvet bag to cover the knob if left out in the sun. But the improvement in shift feel far outweighs those inconveniences.

If you're still worried, Lathewerks also offers a copolymer knob that does not get affected by temperatures or a partially leather wrapped knob.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
At first I thought this was solid Brass, which I think would look good, particularly after an extended period of time. With the constant hand rubbing on brass, it would develop a nice shiny area and patina over the rest of the knob (reliving my days in the Navy....a bunch of brass in the Navy).

Old 08-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Don't forget to put your stock knob away someplace safe. In 30 years someone will pay a lot of money for it!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
That looks really nice. I think I'd be bothered by the contrast between the silver trim on the car and the bronze on the shifter, but I see they offer it in stainless steel or gunmetal too. The prices aren't too bad, either. Nice find!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
do u know if they would make one for the AT?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmport
That looks really nice. I think I'd be bothered by the contrast between the silver trim on the car and the bronze on the shifter, but I see they offer it in stainless steel or gunmetal too. The prices aren't too bad, either. Nice find!
i actually got it in bronze bc i liked the contrast, haha. i realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's all good.

ryu, i am not sure about AT shifters. you can browse his site to see if he offers any. i didnt see any

Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Comparing this thread to your one blasting the Fit's manual trans, does this fix the issue or are you still craving a proper short shifter with the setup?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Looks great. I agree, weighted shift knobs are the way to go. I have one in my Si paired with a Mugen short shifter, and I couldn't be happier.

How many grams is this one? I'd consider picking one up in the future.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Comparing this thread to your one blasting the Fit's manual trans, does this fix the issue or are you still craving a proper short shifter with the setup?
Huge improvement. Definitely does not fix all the slop, but you are able to get a much better feel. Since this knob sits so short, throw is improved, but 5th gear is still an abnormally long throw. When someone releases solid shifter bushings, i will definitely add that next.

My only gripe is that the knob is freezing in the winter. I bought the carry pouch from WC when i ordered my knob, so i leave it slipped over my knob in the winter.

Originally Posted by tktran
Looks great. I agree, weighted shift knobs are the way to go. I have one in my Si paired with a Mugen short shifter, and I couldn't be happier.

How many grams is this one? I'd consider picking one up in the future.
Thanks for the complement. i believe this one is 490 grams which is slightly heavier than 1 lb

Old 02-12-2015, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Nice. If you don't like the straight stainless steel look you can go for the burnt finish option like the burnt blue which looks pretty cool.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Will be getting one of these. $20 to ship to Canada though? Ouch.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I bought one in Canada. I don't know why but mine seems smaller than yours. Is yours a little sphere because in the picture I thought it was going to be bigger when I got mine. I still enjoy mine, I got the stainless steel sphere with a bead blast.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's hard to tell in the pic, but yes, mine is also a small sphere. Fits in the palm of my hand nicely. Wish it was a little larger, but it does it's job.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop

Based on the recommendations here, I have ordered my S/S shift knob from WC Lathe Werks.

Just wondering how long the lead-time was to manufacture and ship the shift knob.

I didn't purchase the $5 option for the expedited order...just took the standard turn around time.

It has been 15 business days (21 calendar days) since I placed my order.

I understand it's a custom product and each knob is made to order by hand and that definitely takes time. Plus the demand must create a backup of orders as well.

So I'm more than happy to be patient and wait my turn

But just curious to know how long it took for this who have received there's!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 PM
What are grip grooves?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WC Lathewerks Weighted Sphere Shift Knob (Flame Burnt Bronze)