3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Phone Tray for the space between the dash and cupholders

Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Phone Tray for the space between the dash and cupholders

I am looking to put a phone tray in the rectangular area (approx 7.5" x 3.5") in front of the cupholders. It will act as a cover for whatever is in the rectangular cubby as well as a spot to stick my phone while it's connected. Temporarily I cut a piece of that art foam that folks use for the cargo cover, but I am hoping for something that looks better and that holds the phone in place. All those sticky mats on Amazon are flexible, so that won't work - it needs to catch the edges on the lips of the 7.5" space. I might put a sticky mat on the foam board but my preference is something made of rubber that acts like a tray and isn't sticky. Anything sticky will end up covered in dog hair! Any suggestions? Has anyone else done this or am I the first?

Note that the foam board shown could be cut to 3.25" deep and would then drop below the edge of the cupholders and hide the nasty edge of the foam board, but then I would need to glue a piece of ribbon or something on it so I could lift it up.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:52 PM
I have some GREAT news! A LEGO baseplate 12 dots x 24 dots fits perfectly in this space! No cutting needed! I cut a little notch so I can have a phone underneath the plate that is plugged in for Android Auto (without having to plug in my regular phone). You can even use more LEGO to hide the cord! I am so happy with this solution!

Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 AM
That is a pretty cool discovery. Now I can repurpose my kids' Legos!

Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM
I was going crazy with where to set my phone when it is plugged in as well. I stumbled across this OEM accessory that i haven't seen mentioned here. It's a silicone insert for the cup holder and that cubby area you covered up. Besides keeping things clean, what I liked about it is the added rib in the center, which divides the cubby and provides support to hold a phone up. They sell it in black, orange, and blue. I ordered the black yesterday. I'll post some actual pics this evening. But here is the stock photo from Honda.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM
I ordered the Honda center console liner accessory. Being made of out of some sort of thermoplastic with a silicone additive it makes it easy to clean as well. The back lip tucks under the center console panel to hold it securely. Only downside is dust sticks to it very easily. They make it in orange and blue as well, if you're trying to bling the interior up, but neither color would match yellow/black that I have going on. It did not leave a big enough area to totally hold my phone upright, but i was able to put it in sideways and it holds it.

Anyway, overall it's a nice touch - nothing earth shattering. I think I paid $25 from Honda for it. Pics below.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
what did it look like, prior to isntalling that insert?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe this is a dumb question, but doesn't that insert end up giving you less room for cup holder and storage cubby?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Maybe this is a dumb question, but doesn't that insert end up giving you less room for cup holder and storage cubby?
In the cup holder area, yes, because it raises the cups up. But I actually like it, makes the cups come out easier. I had no issues even with an American large McDonalds drink. The rear, it adds that little bump in the middle which is the part I like. Overall it's pretty meh.. it's more for when your cup sweats or you spill something, it's easy to pull out and clean.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I'm with 2Rismo2 on this one. My Note 5 already is too big to fit in the cubby. I ordered a smaller phone so I can keep it permanently connected for Android Auto and phone calls hidden in the cubby under the Lego baseplate while not having to plugin (and forget to take from the car) my regular phone.