Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   Smart Entry System Light (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/101075-smart-entry-system-light.html)

Phoebe70 07-24-2019 12:00 PM

Smart Entry System Light

I have a 2016 Fit, approx 60K miles. Last week the orange key light on the dash came on. Googled it and it's the "smart entry system light." It stayed lit for a day or so, went away, and now it's back on. What does this mean? Does this mean that I have to change the battery on my key fob? Am I ok to drive the car with this light on?

GolNat 07-24-2019 12:45 PM

Owners manual might have some info on it.

wasserball 07-24-2019 09:52 PM

I don't have the smart entry system, but just curious. Does this answer your question?

What Does the Key Not in Vehicle Warning Light Mean?

The key not in vehicle warning light tells you when your key isn't detected in your car, so you don't drive off without it. It can be red or orange.

fut1a 08-08-2019 02:50 AM

I have the same problem. Smart entry warning light comes on and stays on, but the car starts and unlocks OK.

It is not the batteries in the key fobs.

The car is 2 months out of a 3 year warranty. Took it to Honda and they say the stop start button needs replacing. Honda said they will pay 50% of the part but it will still cost over £500. The part is on back order and have been waiting 6 weeks now for the part to come in.

I have been looking for a guide on how to get to the stop start button so I can do the job. If anyone knows where a guide is please let me know.

I was going to replace the car when it was 3 years old but I was a bit slow in doing so, and now it's going to cost quite a lot to get rid of a warning light that is not effecting the car. Lesson learned though, buy a car with more than a 3 year warranty.

fut1a 08-08-2019 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Phoebe70 (Post 1432926)
I have a 2016 Fit, approx 60K miles. Last week the orange key light on the dash came on. Googled it and it's the "smart entry system light." It stayed lit for a day or so, went away, and now it's back on. What does this mean? Does this mean that I have to change the battery on my key fob? Am I ok to drive the car with this light on?

My wife has been using the car for the past 6 weeks with no problems. The warning light comes on 95% of the time, but it's not effecting the cars performance.

Phoebe70 08-08-2019 08:36 AM

Thanks. I've looked in the owner's manual (which is no help at all). The light comes on and then will disappear for a day or so and will then come back on. I changed the key fob battery. Currently waiting for the dealer to call me back. Someone told me that if the light stays on longer than 2-3 weeks all of a sudden one day your car won't start...certainly don't want that to happen :(

fut1a 08-08-2019 01:46 PM

The other halfs Jazz does the same, sometimes it does not come on, but then it will come on.

Like I have said, it's been doing this for 6 weeks now and we are hoping that it won't one refuse to start one day. From what I can gather it's a common problem with Honda's, maybe that's why the part is on back order for so long. Can you imagine if it had refused to start any we have been waiting for the part this long.

I have also read that cleaning the contacts at the back of the start stop button can fix it, but it's knowing how to get at the button that's the problem. I don't fancy damaging the dash trying to find out.

I hope yours is still in warranty.

Jazu 08-15-2019 03:36 PM

I heard that Honda has a TSB for the START/STOP button but I've been unable to find the TSB listed online. That START/STOP button and electronics might be the key. Is anyone having the issue that does not have a START/STOP button installed (like me with my base LX)?

Phoebe70 08-15-2019 03:53 PM

Well, it happened. For weeks the light came on, and would disappear. Yesterday morning I got in my car to go to work and the car wouldn't start. My hubby jumped it and I took it to a mechanic. It was the car battery. Lesson learned: don't ignore the Smart Entry Warning Light, even if it disappears temporarily. I learned the hard way!

Phoebe70 08-20-2019 12:32 PM

Ok, here's yet another update on the smart entry warning light. So I replaced the battery. Within an hour of driving it, the smart entry warning light comes on! My husband takes it to the Honda dealer. They said that the start/stop button needs replacing, and that is what is draining my battery. It will cost $450!!! And the part isn't even in stock for another 5 days. So, in the past two weeks I've spend $300 on a battery and another $450 on the start/stop button. I've been a loyal Honda driver for 22 years. For 22 years I've driven nothing but Hondas...but now I'm starting to think perhaps another brand might be a better option for me. :mad:

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮ 08-20-2019 03:07 PM

My 2015 for has been doing this for months. The battery was replaced with a larger 51r over a year ago, and I have noticed no signs of battery drain due to this issue, but it is a daily driver.

I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a new start button unless I absolutely have to.

Tupacalive247 08-20-2019 10:25 PM

For key entry light .

Originally Posted by Phoebe70 (Post 1432926)

I had the same issue — my Honda Fit 2015 ex it’s a push start button that need to be changed . It’s abiut $110 at the dealer And $140 is the labor cost . The dealer told me that at one point your car going to stop starting ....

staccyyh 08-21-2019 09:35 PM

I have exactly the same issue. The light comes and goes, one or two weeks later, the car didn't start once a while, I have to push the start button a few times to start the car. And went to Honda, got the button replaced.

haygood 11-17-2020 04:44 PM

I know this is an old thread, but...

My smart entry light came on a year ago. The start/stop switch had been difficult to use, like physically didn't do anything sometimes. There is now a video on Youtube showing how easy it is to open up the back of the switch and clean its contacts. I have now done that, and the switch works better. In the meantime, I tried two other stop/start switches. They worked better, but the smart entry didn't work with either of those. It would work with the original switch, but now that I've cleaned the original switch and reinstalled it, smart entry still doesn't work with any key. The smart entry light is on steady orange.

I have to hold the key up against the stop/start button to get the car to start (fortunately these keys do have an old-style transponder in them that the car can sense when the key is close to the switch). So, if your car won't start, try holding the not-so-smart key up against the stop/start switch, with the black end toward the switch.

If anyone knows how to get the keys working smartly, I'd love to know.

Florenzmg 03-30-2021 08:54 PM

Hi! We just got back our Honda City 2019 VX after being repaired through the dealership from an accident. And now the orange key indicator on the dashboard is on. It was fine before we delivered the car to Honda. Now, they're charging us for 150$ or 8000 PHP in our country. The dealership said it was the push/start button that needs to be repaired. Is it just a coincidence or?

Baylordr 07-25-2021 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jazu (Post 1434245)
I heard that Honda has a TSB for the START/STOP button but I've been unable to find the TSB listed online. That START/STOP button and electronics might be the key. Is anyone having the issue that does not have a START/STOP button installed (like me with my base LX)?

Attached is the TSB. The warranty was extended to 9-years. This is for American Honda. Possible similar TSB for other countries for same model.

kittenbutt 07-27-2021 12:38 AM

Having the same issue.
Not sure exactly what it is yet.
Bumping.

FitAnotherWay 07-27-2021 09:02 AM

Might be worth checking that the connector is for the smart key is fully connected. Some other members had an issue with the connection being loose and having the light turn on/off occasionally. This thread has a good picture of the connector and where it's located.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...king-help.html

robot 11-19-2021 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baylordr (Post 1462083)
Attached is the TSB. The warranty was extended to 9-years. This is for American Honda. Possible similar TSB for other countries for same model.

I wanted to thank you for this form. Today I called the service dept where I bought my 2015 Fit MT and when I told them about this 9 year agreement on this issue he said they were aware of it and no need to give them further info about it. So when I brought up I have the problem they said they'd cover it but.....they first need to do a $175 diagnostic check and if it proves the start/stop button is at fault, then I don't owe them anything but if it shows it's not the problem, I owe them $175 from the start. As of today, the smart entry light has stayed off but I know it will come back on as it has on and off for the last month. This whole stupid 'bet' on if it's the true issue or not by the dealer really rubs me wrong. I'll be sure to let them know that when I bring it in Monday.

Gina*Baby 04-19-2022 03:00 PM

So I have a 2015 EX and the smart key light has been on for 3 years (I’m way out of warranty) but it wasn’t until this month that the light would turn on and off (insinuating the issue fixed itself and cleared the failure on its own) but now the car won’t start. The light has been off the last few times it’s taken me 10+ pushes to start and then the car starts and the light turns on. I have a diagnostic with Honda on Friday but I’m feeling defeated. Everything that can go wrong, has, including replacing the fuel thing and now this. Was really hoping there would be a recall out by now but I guess not enough people are having the problem? It’s not my battery (as it’s testing within normal range). He said the button replacement is only $100-something but the smart key module is $500+ with whatever labor will end up being. Trying to read through the thread and see people mentioning other things.

Anyone have the light and issues with starting? I get the full dash functionality but it chokes and dies immediately. Sometimes I have to lock and open the car with the remote before I’ll get it to start and stay on. 😭😭😭