3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

All the warning lights came on

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM
All the warning lights came on

2018 Fit EX
This is the second time this had happened in less than 3 months. I turn on the car, and all the warning lights come on: tire pressure, emissions, check engine, road mitigation, brakes......

When I brought it in to Honda the first time, they checked everything and said it coded due to a quick misfire and didn’t find any issues - chalked it up to ‘bad gas’. (I usually keep the gas above 1/2 tank and fill it up - this week I am a day or two behind and will be filling it up in a few minutes.)

What points should I bring up with the dealer when I bring it in tomorrow?

All the warning lights

Old 08-20-2019, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gringoface
2018 Fit EX
When I brought it in to Honda the first time, they checked everything and said it coded due to a quick misfire and didn’t find any issues - chalked it up to ‘bad gas’. (I usually keep the gas above 1/2 tank and fill it up - this week I am a day or two behind and will be filling it up in a few minutes.)

What points should I bring up with the dealer when I bring it in tomorrow?
Point to all the warning lights and tell them this is the second time that has happened. No other points are necessary. Don't tolerate the "bad gas" nonsense from them a second time just because they don't want to spend time figuring out the problem. Do you use tier one gas?

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Good question: I normally use one station - Stripes / Valero .

Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing this is going to be injectors. Some have theorised that they fixed this after 2016 models, but does not appear so. A few 2018s owner have chimed in with this issue. Tier 1 gas isn't going to make a difference imo.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
I do believe they fixed a widespread problem which had developed in the original injectors. That does not mean that they solved a problem of injectors randomly failing on an ongoing basis due to the enormous pressures the fuel is under in DI engines. All manufacturers of DI engines are going to see some failure, some more than others. Spark plugs fail, tires fail, gas tank caps fail, and yes, fuel injectors can fail.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Had this same thing happen to me back in April, I am in Houston with a 2018 Sport 6mt. Took my car to the shop around my house and was told it was a cylinder misfire on 2+3. The car would run, just not daily drive so I took it to the dealer the next day and they said it was the throttle body and they cleaned it and reset the system. Since then no issues and the wife said the car drives better. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I can make all mine come on. In the snow. Don't turn off stability control and act like a moron. They all turn on. Really pisses off the car, makes me smile.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Strangly, the warning lights turned off, and all the sensors started working again on my way to the dealer this morning. They checked everything out. Got codes for: PGM-FI, ABS, EPS, Integrated Driving Support system. Cleared all, none of them came back. No software updates to update. Battery testing in green.

They said its possible that the extreme heat kicked the voltage off on the battery -its been 100+ degrees down here - and was extremely hot the first time this happened, and is the only real constant right now in the situation.

I have a year left of the 36month warranty (purchased 2018 Fit in August 2017) - so there is still time for it to happen again.

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. "

Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Quick and final update: FUEL INJECTORS.
History of the issue:
2 months ago, all the warning lights came on - code reported a misfire in cylinder 2 = Honda dealer couldnt figure it out, there were no reports in the system of any issues, and maybe it was 'bad gas'.
Last week Tuesday, all the lights came on again, and misfire code in cylinder 2. Codes were cleared and didn't come back, vehicle was returned to me, with the comment "not sure what the deal is, but maybe the extreme heat caused an issue with the battery voltage, which can happen in extreme heat or cold."
This past Sunday (5 days later): again, all the lights came on, heat index was not extreme. - brought it in today, told them 'something is causing it to misfire, and its idling hard and I feel it while driving' - they changed the order of the coil pack, to see if the misfire continues on CYL 2 - which it did. So, they replaced the fuel injectors.

It is under warranty - so no cost to me. They also had a shuttle to bring me to work, and picked me up to get the car.
All is good, until the next issue.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gringoface
Quick and final update: FUEL INJECTORS.
History of the issue:
2 months ago, all the warning lights came on - code reported a misfire in cylinder 2 = Honda dealer couldnt figure it out, there were no reports in the system of any issues, and maybe it was 'bad gas'.
Last week Tuesday, all the lights came on again, and misfire code in cylinder 2. Codes were cleared and didn't come back, vehicle was returned to me, with the comment "not sure what the deal is, but maybe the extreme heat caused an issue with the battery voltage, which can happen in extreme heat or cold."
This past Sunday (5 days later): again, all the lights came on, heat index was not extreme. - brought it in today, told them 'something is causing it to misfire, and its idling hard and I feel it while driving' - they changed the order of the coil pack, to see if the misfire continues on CYL 2 - which it did. So, they replaced the fuel injectors.

It is under warranty - so no cost to me. They also had a shuttle to bring me to work, and picked me up to get the car.
All is good, until the next issue.
This policy of replacing the injectors once when they first fail in 2 years and then the next time it happens having you stuck with a $1,000+ bill because they didn't actually fix the problem isn't going to fly. They better be offering extended warranties in the near future. I'll be emailing Honda asking why this isn't already happening. All of you should too.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Please report these injector failures or any failures to recall.gov website. Claim that the failures made you feel unsafe driving the car. Honda has to respond to each and everyone of the recalls.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 AM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ement-25k.html

same thing happened to me. all the lights came on. then went off at the next startup. happened again. dealer troubleshooted and replacest a bunch of injector stuff. see the invoice I posted in the above thread.

Last edited by Mark Schofield; 08-28-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:43 AM
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Many thanks for the TSB.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Seriously ... if after years of pumping out this small 1.5 Liter powerplant they are still having to replace injectors ... I guess it's time for me to trade in and go back to something port injected. CEL came on last month for O2 sensor problems .. which they replaced and now the P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold came up ... quoted for a ballpark of $3k (CAD) for a replacement. Opted for a CEL reset and switch to 91 Vpower from Shell to see if that will keep things floating.... but let me tell you guys something ... I love this car ... and I also owned the 2015 6MT and now have the 2016 CVT ex-l ... but Honda really screwed up on this one big time.
Also, service advisor told me that Honda Pilots are coming in on the regular with O2 sensor issues and P0420 issues due to ppl not using 91 octane. And let me tell you guys that I agree with the switch to 91 octane ... simply for the reason that after they replaced my injectors on my 2015 fit 6MT at 16k miles I did switch to 91 on my own to see if it makes a difference ... and IT DID make a difference in power delivery (which I was surprised)... and I kept putting in 91 octane for the rest of 80k miles ownership and had no more issues after the switch. Service advisor told me that it's not "bad gas" ... the real issue is that the injectors are quite sensitive with the high pressure they are fed ... and when you put 87 octane (even if it is top tier) ... it causes problems with misfires and CAT failures ... so this car really needs 91 premium for it to run properly. Enough said!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
80K of the cheapest stuff from the cheapest gas stations and I'm still good. Two cars that you've had similar issues, maybe the problem is more local to you... Not trying to be a jerk, just throwing it out there.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
80K of the cheapest stuff from the cheapest gas stations and I'm still good. Two cars that you've had similar issues, maybe the problem is more local to you... Not trying to be a jerk, just throwing it out there.
Good point. U never know. I usually gas up at whatever Petro Canada station has the better price here in toronto. So I usually end up gassing from different gas stations. Maybe I really ended up with a batch of "bad gas". Bad luck follows me and my fit. So far ... switching to shell 91 which is the best stuff out there as far as my knowledge goes should keep me up and running .... fingers crossed!

Another thing to mention is that I started having CEL problems after I started doing short trips to and back from the office. 5 to 10 minute drives. I really don't think my CAT is problematic ... exhaust fumes don't smell with a hot engine.

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 08-29-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
I hear everything you're saying but it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

91 vs 87... Same fuel additives... Only difference is octane. Perhaps burn temperature?

Octane is really controlling resistance to combustion. An engine designed to run on 87 has lower compression than an engine designed for 91 and won't benefit from additional octane. If anything the additional octane should (in theory) result in slightly leaner AF mix and result in MORE o2 sensor fouling and unburned fuel getting pumped out the exhaust. While we have variable timing, we don't have variable compression.

If our cars were wanting 91, they would be knocking like crazy all the time at 87. I haven't datalogged anything on this car yet but I'm sure someone is/has on the stock map. Anyone know?

To that end, if we're dealing with knock issues, none of that has to do with injector fouling or o2 sensor fouling.

Of everything I've read on this, the solution that fits the best is the catch can. Stopping or reducing oil blowby contamination in the first place. yet maybe I'm confusing the two issues of blowby and valve corrosion and the internals of the injector getting fouled.

I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
It's possible I also don't have any idea of what I am talking about ... but on my 2015 fit 6MT, switching to 91 made a difference.... in that power delivery was consistently good. With 87 it was a hit or miss... sometimes it felt good ... and other times lethargic ... like I suddenly lost 20 horses or something and I could never figure out why it's acting like that.

Maybe 91 burns hotter... leaner ... and keeps the cat up to temp. But one thing that I think really affects the CAT is the average RPM this motor runs at. With the CVT (now that I own it) ... the rpms are ridiculously low (i.e. usually around 2000) for my normal driving. That for sure keeps things running cooler... but again ... maybe I also don't have any idea what I am talking about.

Bottom line is ... these motors have ignition issues ... and people be getting all sorts of cels coming on .... from O2 sensors reading too lean/rich to CAT under-performance ... to misfire codes ... seems that generally speaking it's the injectors that need to be replaced. And the injectors are the only ones that get fed gas .... which makes me wonder ... better quality gas may indeed cure/prevent some of these problems. I am currently on a dealer issued diet of shell vpower 91 ... and so far I am 15 days in on this "special" tank of gas ... so only thing I can say ... fingers crossed and I hope my fit does not suddenly goes into limp mode like others reported. What a lemon this GK platform.

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 09-05-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
15 days on a tank? Haha I fill up every 4 days!

Quick Reply: All the warning lights came on