3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Starts then immediately dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Starts then immediately dies

2016 Honda Fit, never had a problem until recently. Press start button, engine would run for a split half second and dies immediately, sometimes this happens twice in a row and the 3rd time it would start fine. It happens randomly, once it runs it stays running fine.. Does not ever stall while idling. This only happens during starting. Things I've done, cleaned MAF sensor, cleaned throttle body, battery is only 6 months old. Is this the infamous start button issue?

Old 09-10-2023, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Pushbutton start Fits suffer from premature failure of both the start switch and the starter. According to some reports here, Honda has recently begun goodwilling the start switch, but not the starter.

This issue doesn't seem to exist for key start Fits. I'm near 100K on my LX with no starting issues. Obviously there is no pushbutton start switch on key start Fits, but the starter doesn't seem to suffer premature failure like the pushbutton start models.

I've always speculated that Honda did a poor job of circuit design with the pushbutton start Fits. If the circuit isn't enough to buffer the electrical load at startup, we get premature failure of the starting components.

If I'm anywhere near right here, that means that just replacing components doesn't solve the original problem of poor circuit design. So unless you replace or change the circuit, the same components will burn out on a regular basis. Not a question of if, but when.

I've seen some reports here where dealer service can't figure out whether the start switch or the starter is the culprit. They might both get replaced if the dealer can't figure it out. So Honda might goodwill the start switch + labor, but you'll be on the hook for the full cost of a new starter + labor.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
I already acquired an oem starter from lkq used for only 20k miles and am no stranger to working on cars, have a 340k mile accord myself. This is wife's car. But I'm not one to parts canon. This just does not seem like a starter problem to me. So I'm here to confirm whether this is the start button or starter.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Have you actually read all the threads here on starters & start switches? If you have, I doubt you'd be looking for just one component to blame. Might want to take a look at what others have experienced before deciding in advance it has to be either one, but not both.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
So basically parts canon and replace both starter and ignition switch? I'm also no stranger to starter deaths and there is no clicking, with pinion gear and shooting out and not spinning. Starter is fine and spinning as long as the ignition switch is sending the signal to the S terminal to start but it appears that the signal is sent for a split second then cut off immediately which resulting in this symptom.

Calling Honda today to get the start button/ignition switch replaced. I retained the letter regarding the warranty of the start button issue.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
You completely miss my point. I'm not suggesting to replace both right now. I'm saying, you will need to replace one now, and eventually the other will need to be replaced as well, and you can rinse and repeat this entire process until the car dies.

No parts cannon, just an understanding of a poorly designed circuit.

Last edited by bargainguy; 09-11-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I am not missing your point, your point cannot be corrected because the circuit cannot be fixed unless you hack the wires. So the end consumers need to do what they need to do to fix it. Good old key is the solution instead of some fancy 1 press button that's not necessary. I did some research and this does not happen on the LX model with keys.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:06 AM
Is the start symbol in the instrument panel lit up and stays on? Then that's the switch issue. (had mine replaced and the previous owner had the starter replaced.)

Old 09-13-2023, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Start symbol is not displayed. In fact, nothing is displayed and there is no code whatsoever. I've been working on cars for years and this is the one of weirdest problems I've ever seen. The only thing I've noticed is -10% fuel trim at idle which might be pointing to fuel injectors.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by t-rd
Start symbol is not displayed. In fact, nothing is displayed and there is no code whatsoever. I've been working on cars for years and this is the one of weirdest problems I've ever seen. The only thing I've noticed is -10% fuel trim at idle which might be pointing to fuel injectors.
The starter shouldn't be an issue since it is actually starting up the car.. Do you think it might be an immobilizer issue? I had a Jeep with a faulty immobilizer issue where it would start up run for 1-2 secs then die.

Is there any blinking or flashing for the key indicator?

Old 09-13-2023, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
That I am not sure. If it's an immobilizer issue, I would have other symptoms and the car wouldn't start at all. The problem is weird as hell. It's going into Honda tomorrow for diagnostics as I do not have an advanced scanner to do this.

I must admit that older cars are easier to work on in general.

Last edited by t-rd; 09-13-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:12 PM
After searching it a bit more I'm thinking it is the start switch.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Can you elaborate? I did some searches but no solid answers out there.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Here is something. I unplug the MAF sensor while the engine is running, the engine appears to stall a bit but keeps running. Does this mean the MAF sensor is bad? This might just be the issue.

Can anyone tell me your long term and short term fuel trim at idle? My short term is around -10% and long term is around -5%

Last edited by t-rd; 09-13-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:20 PM
Here is something. I unplug the MAF sensor while the engine is running, the engine appears to stall a bit but keeps running. Does this mean the MAF sensor is bad? This might just be the issue.

Can anyone tell me your long term and short term fuel trim at idle? My short term is around -10% and long term is around -5%
How did you clean your MAF?

Old 09-13-2023, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mykizism
How did you clean your MAF?
I used CRC MAF cleaner

Old 09-13-2023, 08:48 PM
I used CRC MAF cleaner
Do you have access to another MAF sensor to test ?

Old 09-13-2023, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I was just at Walmart and 5 presses in a row the car started then died within a second. IT is the smart system with a key light I've been waiting for. It is not the MAF sensor I don't think at this point. I'm dropping off the car tomorrow morning to get this warranty fixed.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:58 AM
Which now confirms my theory of the bad start switch.

Same issue as the Jeep I had which started up then ran for 1-2 seconds then cut out due to immobilizer issue. Key RFID reader not authenticating with the Key ID.

In this case.. the push start switch is probably not authenticating with the Key ID.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:59 AM
I wish I had more information to provide you regarding this car.. but Honda did not print a copy of the FSM for it.. and requires you to pay a subscription to have access to view the FSM. So I am just making blind guesses here.

Quick Reply: Starts then immediately dies