3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual transmission upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 08:37 AM
Manual transmission upgrade

I want to buy a 3rd generation Honda Fit with a manual transmission, but I have read that the manual is not as good as the 1st or 2nd generation to drive. Are there any upgrades that would fix this issue? I would really prefer the manual transmission if it can be improved. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2024, 11:06 AM
I have a third gen with the manual. Just because the third gen manual is "not as good" doesn't mean it's bad. I find myself shifting more than I would prefer because the manual stuffs all six gears into the range my old car covered with four and the Fit's engine torque is pretty far up in RPMs so being in a high gear when you need to move is not something the Fit engine is good at.

imo what you would spend on sourcing and fitting an alternative transmission would not imo be worth it. I'd quicker buy a second gen and save the money.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:32 AM
So you want to upgrade or improve a stock manual transmission? For a bone stock car that you don't even own yet? Based only because you heard they aren't as good as some earlier models? From somebody that probably doesn't even own own?

Cute first post. Lol

Old 01-27-2024, 11:41 AM
I have a 2013 Honda fit since it was new with 225,000 miles with a manual transmission. I love my current car but am starting to plan ahead for what I should get next. Thanks for mocking me though. I feel so welcome here.

Originally Posted by NWCH
So you want to upgrade or improve a stock manual transmission? For a bone stock car that you don't even own yet? Based only because you heard they aren't as good as some earlier models? From somebody that probably doesn't even own own?

Cute first post. Lol

Old 01-28-2024, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anna007
I have a 2013 Honda fit since it was new with 225,000 miles with a manual transmission. I love my current car but am starting to plan ahead for what I should get next. Thanks for mocking me though. I feel so welcome here.

They don't get much sunlight in Washington State. All the rain makes people grumpy.

I'd like to hear more about the 3rd Gen. manual transmission. This is the first mention that I have seen that the 3rd Gen. is not as good as the earlier manual transmissions.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Some experience with both

So I had a 2010 Base 5MT for a decade before I got t-boned and got a 2018 Sport 6MT.
The only difference between the gearboxes is that the old 5th ratio is not in the new 6th gear position, and 5th gear is now a ratio between the old 4th and 5th.
Disappointing that they didn’t make the 6th a bunch taller, but some racers who have opened the gearbox say that there simply isn’t room for a taller 6th in it.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with 3rd gen manual transmissions. No Honda recalls or major problems being reported here. People just tend to say they aren't exciting to drive, But that is just the Fit in general. They aren't exciting cars to drive because they have no power and they also aren't the most comfortable in the world. Plus there are just much better sports cars out there if you still want the manual trans experience.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with 3rd gen manual transmissions. No Honda recalls or major problems being reported here. People just tend to say they aren't exciting to drive, But that is just the Fit in general. They aren't exciting cars to drive because they have no power and they also aren't the most comfortable in the world. Plus there are just much better sports cars out there if you still want the manual trans experience.
I always thought it was a blast to drive. And I've owned a few sports cars. Maybe it's just me.

There is nothing wrong with 3rd gen manual transmissions
Not only is there nothing wrong with it, I always thought the MT on the Fit was one of its best features. (But I've only owned Gen 1 and Gen 2.)

they have no power
105 ft-lb torque/2500-ish lbs. I can get a lot of smiles from that.

Plus there are just much better sports cars out there if you still want the manual trans experience.
Maybe, but the Fit is not a sports car. It's your little sister's daily driver while she attends junior college.

I bought mine new and paid around $17,000. Please tell me what I can buy, sports car or hatchback, that is this much fun to drive.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Manual Transmission.

If the Fit didn't have a manual transmission option I wouldn't have bought mine.

To the sissy automatic transmission lovers;

Stay automatic.
And stay out of my of my lane.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
If the Fit didn't have a manual transmission option I wouldn't have bought mine.

To the sissy automatic transmission lovers;

Stay automatic.
And stay out of my of my lane.
Wow I just wish I could be as cool as you are some point during my lifetime. And own as many lanes on city street as you do.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I always thought it was a blast to drive. And I've owned a few sports cars. Maybe it's just me.
This, exactly and I would not have believed it before owning it.

I have a '15 manual and it is a thrill to drive. Nice short shift knob feels "sporty". The bad: You are spinning 3,000 RPM at just 60 MPH, so not a highway cruiser. The unsettling: Poor synchros. The shifting is not buttery smooth, with second gear easy to grind and the other gears are notchy. Note, in hot temps it greatly improves shift quality.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:35 AM
2015 6MT owner here: I have never driven a 1st or 2nd gen to compare, but I have been pretty happy with the manual transmission in the 3rd gen Fit. Installing Acuity shifter cable and shifter base bushings (https://acuityinstruments.com/collec...-fit-jazz-2014) was a significant upgrade in shifter feel. It went from from a somewhat vague (think arcade joystick) to a notchier and more precise feeling. If you value MT shifter feel, I highly recommend these upgrades.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nayov
This, exactly and I would not have believed it before owning it.

I have a '15 manual and it is a thrill to drive. Nice short shift knob feels "sporty". The bad: You are spinning 3,000 RPM at just 60 MPH, so not a highway cruiser. The unsettling: Poor synchros. The shifting is not buttery smooth, with second gear easy to grind and the other gears are notchy. Note, in hot temps it greatly improves shift quality.

When I bought my '08 Fit, I already had an '07 S2000. I took the Fit up into the canyons onto roads where I was doing weekly bad boy stuff with the s2k. The Fit was so much fun to wind out that I was laughing my head off the whole time. I kept thinking, "The Lamborghini guys can't be having this much fun on these roads."

Do your self a big favor: Buy two bottles of Honda Manual Transmission fluid and change out your MT oil. Come back after 100 miles on the fresh fluid and let me know if it's any better.

Note: You have to let the MT fluid warm up on any car every time you drive it. I would think this is especially important if you are in Maine right now.

Last edited by Mister Coffee; 02-04-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:05 PM
The Fit could use a taller 6th gear for better fuel economy, but other than that, it shifts very well and feels good, and better than it should for a car in this price range.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:13 AM
Taller 6th gear is often desired for GK5 to reduce noise and improve fuel economy. However, there is a flipside, since that would mean it'd be less lively and increase the need for downshifting on uphills. I've had a car like that, and I defenitely prefer the existing GK gearing.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Do your self a big favor: Buy two bottles of Honda Manual Transmission fluid and change out your MT oil. Come back after 100 miles on the fresh fluid and let me know if it's any better.
I did change it out with Honda MTF, no difference.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I did change it out with Honda MTF, no difference.

Did you buy the car new?

Old 02-07-2024, 03:23 PM
I bought it with 57000 miles.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I bought it with 57000 miles.
In that case, I suppose it's possible the previous owner(s) damaged your gearbox.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I suppose that may be. It was owned by a woman and the clutch travel before it engages is appropriate, so she didn't do it, lol. Maybe a lot boy enjoyed some speed shifting. I used to work at a dealership and we put the cars through hell.,..you know, to make sure everything is good to go...so karma?

Quick Reply: Manual transmission upgrade