3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rookie Test Drive (First Impressions...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.

No I understand kind of. The Fit's clutch is so easy and light though, and it's almost impossible to stall the car. I commute through one of the most heavily congested routes through Silicon Valley every day in traffic.

LA traffic is different than Bay traffic though... you guys ride bumper to bumper, don't leave space and stop and go all day long. I commuted in LA with my MT Fit too for a year or so, and in my old Corolla for years before that, it wasn't bad at all, just use 2nd gear and leave some space and don't get mad if people pull in front of you. It takes some zen to do but just "serenity now" and you'll be good.

I understand though.

But you know the MT is better, so that's good lol
i call BS on bay traffic being different, out of the 4 or 5 times i have been up in that area it is exactly the same type of bumper to bumper traffic as there is in LA and sometimes worse. hell, i had people almost merging into the front of my car when i was going through san jose during lunch time rush hour lol

Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=Wanderer.;1242344]

No I understand kind of. The Fit's clutch is so easy and light though, and it's almost impossible to stall the car.

I hate to admit this, but.....I DID stall it once. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh I said unkind things, started it up and drove off. :-)

However, the tranny has such a short first gear that it really IS almost impossible to stall it.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by theindiearmy
2013 stockpiling lots because of engine noise? What the hell are you talking about? Fits have continually sold out year after year and you'd be hard-pressed to find a 2013 now. The delay of the 2015 has created an availability gap to where NO Fits have been on most lots for about a month and a half.
Maybe in some places but my dealer had 26 2013 Fits when I signed for my car a month ago and still had 12 of them as of earlier today.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Note-ified
i call BS on bay traffic being different, out of the 4 or 5 times i have been up in that area it is exactly the same type of bumper to bumper traffic as there is in LA and sometimes worse. hell, i had people almost merging into the front of my car when i was going through san jose during lunch time rush hour lol
This depends on where in the Bay you drive. You're right about South Bay... San Jose especially, I never go down there if I can avoid it. But if you're in the East Bay you can get away with rolling 2nd gear on 880 or 680 because it's like 4-5 lanes and traffic flows better. Even the 101 isn't that bad. You may be going 10-15mph, but you'll roll at that speed, not stop and go. Also carpool opens at 9am to all traffic, so it adds a lane, idk why LA doesn't do that. I've lived both places for years and experienced commutes in both day to day, both in the Fit, and my commute gas mileage improved dramatically once I left LA.

Two reasons:
1. It's acceptable to drive 65 on the freeway here except in the left lane or carpool. If you're going 65 in LA you better be in the right lane only. Carpool? Better be going at least 85
2. Not as much stop and go.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
This depends on where in the Bay you drive. You're right about South Bay... San Jose especially, I never go down there if I can avoid it. But if you're in the East Bay you can get away with rolling 2nd gear on 880 or 680 because it's like 4-5 lanes and traffic flows better. Even the 101 isn't that bad. You may be going 10-15mph, but you'll roll at that speed, not stop and go. Also carpool opens at 9am to all traffic, so it adds a lane, idk why LA doesn't do that. I've lived both places for years and experienced commutes in both day to day, both in the Fit, and my commute gas mileage improved dramatically once I left LA.

Two reasons:
1. It's acceptable to drive 65 on the freeway here except in the left lane or carpool. If you're going 65 in LA you better be in the right lane only. Carpool? Better be going at least 85
2. Not as much stop and go.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

im putting my money on the reason LA never opens up the carpool lanes as being a source of money for them...at close to $400 a ticket for being in that lane it must be a real source of revenue for them lol, but yeah you are right, once you get past san jose it does clear up pretty considerably with the exception of when you actually get into san francisco (that place is a nightmare during the day) but other than that, still alot better than LA traffic overall

Old 06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
However, the tranny has such a short first gear
Boy, if I had a nickel for every time i've heard that....

Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Note-ified
with the exception of when you actually get into san francisco (that place is a nightmare during the day)
Nightmare is an understatement. Its a rarity I even drive into the city anymore, i'll park at a BART station and take the train. Might as well, after parking and bridge toll you're over cost for a train ride anyway.

Originally Posted by Brianflys
Boy, if I had a nickel for every time i've heard that....

lol so short in fact 1st is almost useless unless you're stopped. You can easily use second even from a stop, so no real fear of stalling. I did once in reverse though I don't remember why or how but my wife made sure to give me shit for it because she'd never seen me stall it I deserved it.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
You guys are making me feel a lot better about the traffic in Portland.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Just drove an EX CVT and man some of you guys are over reacting! Test drive one yourself before jumping on the bandwagon.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by mecevans
Just drove an EX CVT and man some of you guys are over reacting! Test drive one yourself before jumping on the bandwagon.
care to elaborate?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew Briscoe
You guys are making me feel a lot better about the traffic in Portland.
Don't feel too much better, i've done that too, and for the volume of cars you guys have there, the bridges, streets and highways are way undersized, and your streets are pretty confusing.

Want to keep going down the same street? Well you're going to have to make a right on this street, jump across three lanes packed with traffic, and get in the turn lane. Good luck.

I think at this point most major cities have their traffic issues, regardless of where in the US you are at. Portland isn't as bad as LA and SF, but it's bad in it's own way.

I will say you guys are SUPER polite drivers though. I was astonished.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by ReduxInflux
care to elaborate?
I can, I find the CVT extremely versatile and fun to drive. Put it in S mode and use the paddle shifters it has quite a nice response. It is a little loud running it hard but if you drove or drive anything but a luxury car I don't think you will be surprised. I like it and glad I got it. I think it is getting a bad rap from some for who knows what reason but it is better than I had expected after hearing all the naysay about it.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Pulled the trigger. Now a proud owner of a 2015 Alabaster EX. Stoked. Just needed a little perspective adjustment. Thanks for everyone who jumped in to help.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tmfit
..........find the CVT extremely versatile and fun.....it is better than I had expected after hearing all the naysay about it.
Keep those impressions coming. Always a pleasure to read actual owners impression driving around their GK's.

As for naysayers, its looking like their numbers will diminish once they make an effort to see a GK in person and actually drive it.

....... Now a proud owner.... Stoked.....
Congrats and we await your pics and impressions too.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Always a pleasure to read actual owners impression driving around their GK's
Forgive my ignorance but what in the world is a GK?

Also, I love my car so far. Those short spurted test drives didn't tell the whole story. It was nice to actually drive it as my own. Gotta read up on how to use those paddle shifters. Tomorrow is play time

(Pics to come later...)

@tmfit Ha Ha...Way to jump in to take that

Last edited by ReduxInflux; 06-14-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
GD3 = First Generation US Fit 2007-2008
GE8 = Second Generation US Fit 2009-2013
GK5 = Third generation US Fit 2015 -

These codes refer to the Honda model codes found as part of the VIN of the car.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Also, I love my car so far. Those short spurted test drives didn't tell the whole story. It was nice to actually drive it as my own. Gotta read up on how to use those paddle shifters. Tomorrow is play time

(Pics to come later...)

@tmfit Ha Ha...Way to jump in to take that
I think you will love the paddle shifters! Just run her through gears just like a standard, wind your rpms out but you will run out of room for speed after about 5 gear unkess you are on a long road.
You are absolutely right that a test drive doesnt reveal much, a couple hours is a nice amount of time to figure it out.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Mahalo, grazie, gracias, Maraming salamat, Doumo arigatou, Merci beaucoup, danke and a big fat thanks guys

Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
..........a big fat thanks guys
After your intensive playout today with your brand spankin new GK, we'll be the ones thanking you for the pics and impressions you'll be posting!!!

Have fun on the drive!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Congrats on the purchase!

Quick Reply: Rookie Test Drive (First Impressions...)