3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Are they fun?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Are they fun?

I been driving driving around with my ge8 since February of last year. Have to say its the funest car I had..... been eyeing a gk5, just wondering if I should trade in mine. Are they fun compared to last generation???

Old 06-29-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
When I drove the new one, I felt the GE8 was more engaging and fun to drive.
on a scale 1-10 (higher the better), GE8 scores about 8. GK scores about 6.5

Old 06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
When I drove the new one, I felt the GE8 was more engaging and fun to drive.
on a scale 1-10 (higher the better), GE8 scores about 8. GK scores about 6.5
Are you coming from a gd or a ge?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Do you see any mention of a GD anywhere in his post or his sig?

Dude is coming from a GE, and has experience with both the Zenki and kouki GE.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I don't understand sometimes what people mean by "fun" driving a vehicle in comparison with some others.

For example, the previous model fits I've heard people say feel more "fun" to drive and the steering on the new model feels "less sporty". I don't really know how that translates.

This is certainly my most fun vehicle to drive, but the variety of vehicles I've driven are extremely limited. Ford Aerostars, 2005 Mazda 6, some lexus I don't know the make of that was owned by my deceased uncle, and this Honda Fit.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Indeed I have a 2012 mt and had a 2010 before as mu sig suggests. Im at cerritos honda now and will see if they have the 2015 lx mt like cars.com says.

btw, what does zenki and kouki refer to? Both were assembled in sayama saitama plant. Edit: found it. Means early and late production cycle model.

Last edited by john21031; 06-29-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Do you see any mention of a GD anywhere in his post or his sig?

Dude is coming from a GE, and has experience with both the Zenki and kouki GE.
thanks for the flame, sorry I didn't even look at his sig. Newbie here sorry for the mistake, I promiss I won't do it again:-)

Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Drove the LX Mt today. Was not impressed. DIdn't get to drive on the freeway but the steering felt vague, the shifts were poorly defined and long. Also the transmission was not as "notchy" as the GE, a strong point of GE's manual gearboxes...

I am losing interest in GK feet as open minded as I was towards it. BTW, the manual transmission is assembled in the Philippines and the tires are Firestones (the spare is Kenda made in China).

P.S. When I finished the test drive, honestly I felt like I've just driven a Nissan Versa.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Drove the LX Mt today. Was not impressed. DIdn't get to drive on the freeway but the steering felt vague, the shifts were poorly defined and long. Also the transmission was not as "notchy" as the GE, a strong point of GE's manual gearboxes...

I am losing interest in GK feet as open minded as I was towards it. BTW, the manual transmission is assembled in the Philippines and the tires are Firestones (the spare is Kenda made in China).

P.S. When I finished the test drive, honestly I felt like I've just driven a Nissan Versa.

if it drives like a versa that would be so ironic and funny at the same time lol

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
I would stick with the ge8, I was less than impressed as well all around. Yes, the 6spd and a little more power would be nice, but the ge8 is the better car all around.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I find that hard to believe most reviews I read said the shifter was very smooth, and that car rode better....... but not as sharp handling.

Is there a chance that maybe you were at a Nissan dealership and in a versa note ?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by hayabusa12
I find that hard to believe most reviews I read said the shifter was very smooth, and that car rode better....... but not as sharp handling.

Is there a chance that maybe you were at a Nissan dealership and in a versa note ?

Nah, he would have been having more fun if it was a versa note lol (and for those that are a little sensitive, I'm just kidding)

Old 06-30-2014, 02:35 PM
BMO
I'm new to the Fit, so I can't say whether it's more or less fun than a previous generation, but no, I don't think the car is especially fun to drive. Of course, that's completely subjective and based on what you think 'fun to drive' means. For me, it's jackrabbity starts and good cornering. For you, it might be top speed.

Some observations from my three-day ownership:
-Steering is too light at low speeds (firms up at 50mph+). It's responsive enough, but feels like driving a bus. Twisty country roads at 50+ are just fine, though!
-Suspension is a little too soft. I appreciate not feeling every bump, but it floats a little too much.
-CVT has decent pickup when already moving (especially if using the paddle shifters), but off-the-line feels sluggish.
-Cornering is acceptable. Body roll is reasonable (especially since the Fit is on the tall side for a small car), but you can't really fling it around tight curves.
-Heavy engine braking (as in heavier than a conventional automatic) from the CVT is an interesting adjustment (positives and negatives there).

I wish the Fit had a little more in the performance department, but there's still some fun to be had and I think it was worth the other pros (reliability, tech, rear legroom, cargo space) as a trade-off. If I were just going to for fun, I would have gotten another GTI, but once-burned and all that.

All that said, get out and drive one when you can

Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMO
-CVT has decent pickup when already moving (especially if using the paddle shifters), but off-the-line feels sluggish.
Are you saying it feels faster while using the paddle shifters or that it is faster while using the paddle shifters? Was thinking the paddle shifters only makes it feel that way but it's actually faster leaving it in drive.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
BMO
It probably isn't actually faster using the paddle shifters, but it can certainly feel that way. Only exception is that if you downshift with the paddle shifters, it behaves pretty much like you downshifted "in real life". The duration of the downshift is short (unless you're in sport mode), but you do get a little acceleration boost.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I'll bet for me coming from a 5000 lb 4wd truck and 99 at that it's going to feel like a Ferrara ........... coming from a GTI not so much.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayabusa12

Sounds like wishful thinking. I am really sorry to bring you this information. It probably disappoints you.

Actually I didn't say Versa Note as I've never driven Nissan Note, I've only driven a previous generation (don't know if they still sell them) Nissan Versa Sedan in manual.

Honda Fit 2015 is a different kind of car than the previous generation. The only similarities are: Name, body style and seat configuration, same engine displacement, and similar size and price. The differences are so great (kind of like two people with the same last name but from different families).

Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMO
-Suspension is a little too soft. I appreciate not feeling every bump, but it floats a little too much.
This shows that Honda listened to the criticism of the previous generation - harsh ride at highway speeds.
To make the Fit more marketable among middle and older buyers, the current suspension tuning had to be made (of course at the expense of what some are now wishing stayed the same).

Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Not me my truck like driving a tank, I prefer a softer ride if I wanted a car with stiffer and better handling I buy a GTI.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
This shows that Honda listened to the criticism of the previous generation - harsh ride at highway speeds.
To make the Fit more marketable among middle and older buyers, the current suspension tuning had to be made (of course at the expense of what some are now wishing stayed the same).
This just goes to show that you can't please everybody.

Quick Reply: Are they fun?