3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

choosing a car's sunglasses......

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM
choosing a car's sunglasses......

I am seeing lots of discussion about window tint. Here in Florida I find it is practically a necessity. But I'm not familiar with some of these options. Ceramic? Dyed? Does anyone care to give me a brief lesson about the better types and the advantages or disadvantages?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr. High Mileage
I am seeing lots of discussion about window tint. Here in Florida I find it is practically a necessity. But I'm not familiar with some of these options. Ceramic? Dyed? Does anyone care to give me a brief lesson about the better types and the advantages or disadvantages?
From my understanding, you have four different types.

Dyed - the cheapest type and best to be avoided.
Metallic
Hybrid - Kind of a cross between dyed and Metallic
Ceramic - Rejects the most heat, good for hot areas like Texas. Most expensive.

To get technical, you'd have to ask someone else.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a Sticky from the 2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum that I found useful.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/24734-official-window-tint-thread.html

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that info. I am definitely interested in anything that will help keep the temperature down inside a car. Now to figure out how many dollar bills that will remove from the wallet.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by chazmr
Here's a Sticky from the 2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum that I found useful.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/24734-official-window-tint-thread.html

Thanks for digging up that thread and linking. It's very informative and then I was able to follow link with pictures of different tint to get a visual of the different percentages.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I just got mine tinted today with 20% Ceramic. It's 100F here in Medford. I could tell a huge difference in heat blockage. I posted pictures here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-got-tint.html

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Raziaar
From my understanding, you have four different types.

Dyed - the cheapest type and best to be avoided.
Metallic
Hybrid - Kind of a cross between dyed and Metallic
Ceramic - Rejects the most heat, good for hot areas like Texas. Most expensive.

To get technical, you'd have to ask someone else.
this is pretty spot on. just to add dyed tint's have a higher tendency to fade (purple hue) and bubble.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by A41Billy
I just got mine tinted today with 20% Ceramic. It's 100F here in Medford. I could tell a huge difference in heat blockage. I posted pictures here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-got-tint.html
Wow that looks sharp! Also glad to hear it made a difference in temperature.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM
ceramic all the way!

i will be putting llumar 50 in the front llumar 30 in the back.

i will also be putting on llumar air blue 80 on the front windshield.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by A41Billy
I just got mine tinted today with 20% Ceramic. ..........
A4, will install 20% (ceramic) too. Although 35% on rears is the State law, will risk the ticket cause life is too short. Besides, looks like both of us work for the same organization - Secret Service!!!! LOL!!!

Originally Posted by ETFitRS
ceramic all the way!......
CERAMIC??? Yeah babeh!!!!!

As Siegunso states, that dyed stuff is definitely cheaper but to drive around with a purple haze after a couple of years is not a "cool" thing!!!
Let me add that ceramics in general, react better at night conditions. When you look outside (while driving inside) you will not see any inner reflection.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 07-11-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Is there any way to definitively test whether or not my tint is ceramic? I had asked the dealer and he gave me photos of the packaging and stuff... saying it is ceramic. But whether or not it was a bait and switch, I dunno.

Any surefire way to tell if you have dyed vs metallic vs hybrid vs ceramic?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
A4, will install 20% (ceramic) too. Although 35% on rears is the State law, will risk the ticket cause life is too short. Besides, looks like both of us work for the same organization - Secret Service!!!! LOL!!!

CERAMIC??? Yeah babeh!!!!!

As Siegunso states, that dyed stuff is definitely cheaper but to drive around with a purple haze after a couple of years is not a "cool" thing!!!
Let me add that ceramics in general, react better at night conditions. When you look outside (while driving inside) you will not see any inner reflection.
You can get a prescription from an eye doctor to make your 20% legal.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Moved to NC from GA several years ago. Our 04 Accord had tint legal in Ga but not in NC. State Patrol gave me a warning ticket to have the illegal tint removed or face like a $120.00. It was like 2% darker than it should be... I was like really? I look over on the highway and G banger cars with limo tint are passing me..lol!

Long story short, I had to pay to have the tint removed (expensive lesson) and new NC legal tint installed. Any high quality tint shop that does high end cars or dealerships will install a high quality tint. Dealerships don't want returning customers over bad tint jobs. The PepBoys of yesteryear tint that turns purple went away years ago haha! Top notch installers won't use it. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. In the last 10 years of all the cars and trucks I have owned never an issue with tint installs ever. Find a reputable installer.

Getting legal tint installed this morning in our FIT along with the XPEL paint protection.

Cheers!

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-12-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Also the tint you get, many have lifetime warranties.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Does the car have any tint from the factory?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by spaceballs
Does the car have any tint from the factory?
None on the 9 separate windows on our FIT. Possibly tinted glass but no factory tint applied. Some states like the northern providence of New Yorkistan (my home growing up) window tint is illegal...dam the nannyfied states.
Window tint and a sunshade lower the interior temps dramatically IMO.

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-12-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Great feedback everyone. I got a quick lesson and will be educated about modern tints when I get my car.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 AM
I have no idea what tint I have but I love it so far.

I'm not sure what the tint rating is for my fit, but I really love it. I didn't know about the different types, but I did know about the different darkness. I told the dealer I wanted the darkest legally allowed. The white orchid pearl sure does look good in the sun with the color and the tint just sets it off I think.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-13-2014, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
@Kelly -

That looks really good. I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen but the tint and that pearl white are a really good combination. If I was forced to take a 2015 then that would be my combo too.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by Kelly Stewart
I'm not sure what the tint rating is for my fit, but I really love it. I didn't know about the different types, but I did know about the different darkness. I told the dealer I wanted the darkest legally allowed. The white orchid pearl sure does look good in the sun with the color and the tint just sets it off I think.

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks great Kelly! The tinted windows really set off the beautiful white! Legal tint in North Carolina is 35%...the state patrol is pretty strict on enforcement here.

The 13 additional hp for a total of somewhere around 130 hp really makes the new 2015 FIT a blast to drive night and day over the former model. Could have bought a 14 FIT at a discount but passed on it after driving the 2015.

Dealers can't keep 15's on the lot here in Charlotte.

Enjoy Kelly!

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-13-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: choosing a car's sunglasses......