3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EX 6MT Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
......-An actual engine temp gauge instead of a hi and lo dash light.......
Same here. Like to see "real" temp numbers.

Got an Ultragauge (now using on the wife's Lexus to get a hang of it) and its got so much info available. Plug into the OBD II port and calibrate. Another product, Scangauge is similar, albeit pricier.

Keep on drivin that puppy!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Same here. Like to see "real" temp numbers.

Got an Ultragauge (now using on the wife's Lexus to get a hang of it) and its got so much info available. Plug into the OBD II port and calibrate. Another product, Scangauge is similar, albeit pricier.

Keep on drivin that puppy!!!
I actually built/wrote some WinCE software that used a BT OBDII dongle years ago to try and get a trip computer on the Civic. It worked reasonably well although the BT connection to the device I had was a little wonky (and trying to calculate actual volumetric efficiency was voodoo). I'm wondering how much data the Fit provides over the port as the Civic didn't support many of the data points. I might play around with the old software and my ODBII dongle and see what sort of data I can get. Or possibly pick up an Ultragauge.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Audio is really a matter of taste. I found the system to be pretty good. Actually for a sub-$20k car it's really good. Now, I have a background in audio production, and it's by no means studio quality, but it's well suited for its purpose. There's enough clarity in the system that running Pandora in high-quality (and PandoraOne) mode, I could still hear the encoding which I wouldn't call a positive, however it just illustrates the quality of the system (I tend to tune out compression when I'm driving anyway).

A couple things I observed (well... heard).

The stereo imaging is really damn good for a car. This is probably related to the tweeter placement on the dash pointed up at the windshield (which bounces the sound right to almost ear level).

With the EQ flat the sound was a little lacking. Just a few clicks up on the bass and treble do wonders. Unfortunately there's only two bands of EQ and it would be nice to knock down the low-mids a little as the resonant frequency of the car is a little higher than what sounds good.
Thanks! That's excellent feedback. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so I just want a system that sounds decent. If someone who has a background in audio production thinks it's a good system as cars go, I'm convinced!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
I actually built/wrote some WinCE software that used a BT OBDII dongle years ago to try..........possibly pick up an Ultragauge.
Let us know if your software hook-up works well. We'd all be interested in that.

If you decide to go the Ultragauge route, keep the receipt in the package and download the rebate form. Fill it up as per the directions and they actually send you back almost $10.
Their rebate questionaire is to assure the mfg'r that the retail buyer read the instructions and has learned the basic way to operate it properly. Have to admit, learned it way faster not because I wanted too, but cause am so cheap was more excited to get that REBATE!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Reason my most new cars have no temp gauge is because they use a thermostat monitor to measure efficiency. The check engine light will come on long before it overheats.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mike...very nice write up! I'm jealous on one hand, but still ticked off at Honda for not making the 6th cog an overdrive, especially when it's so blatantly obvious it was needed. The reason I'm jealous is because you've got what I've been wanting for a while. Sadly, the unnecessary drone at highway speed is a deal killer for me.

BTW, the Fiesta 1.0 turns 2500 @ 70 and 2900 @ 80 and I KNOW Honda engineering is better than Ford's.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Fiesta has a turbo and way more torque. It is what it is.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Strumbone
Thanks Mike...very nice write up! I'm jealous on one hand, but still ticked off at Honda for not making the 6th cog an overdrive, especially when it's so blatantly obvious it was needed. The reason I'm jealous is because you've got what I've been wanting for a while. Sadly, the unnecessary drone at highway speed is a deal killer for me.

BTW, the Fiesta 1.0 turns 2500 @ 70 and 2900 @ 80 and I KNOW Honda engineering is better than Ford's.
Yup I agree Honda has better engineering but Honda's (and in a sense Subaru's) philosophy with regards to building cars seems to be to make them just right for our needs, but not necessarily our wants.

The Fit seems to be catered more to be a practical, versatile, city car, meaning it's better suited to in city or in town duties thus the short gearing and small size. The Fiesta which seems to have a more dynamic power train is a vehicle I can't consider because it is too small inside.

There are a lot of compromises especially in this price and size class. You just have to pick which one are yours.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Real quick, forgot these. All minor nit-picky things:

-Can't switch the screen to info from the steering wheel, only audio and phone. Someone else mentioned this in another thread.
-Would like more info on the info screen.
-The key fob for smart entry is slightly larger than it seems like it should be.
-The armrest height.
-(This is totally an adaption to driving a hatch issue) Everyone seems to be tailgating me.... I realized this is because I'm not used to the back window being the back of the car so a following vehicle will appear closer to me than in a sedan with a trunk.
-Auto A/C would be nice.
-The gas fill door is too high to hold the pump handle comfortably.
-An actual engine temp gauge instead of a hi and lo dash light.

I HAVE A FEW THINGS to say about a couple of these
1: -The armrest height. HEIGHT!!! are you kidding me, how come no one mentions that it's built for RIGHT HAND DRIVE! they didn't re engineer it for left hand drive markets, just look at it, it's longer on the passenger side, the driver gets a blunt sliver of a make shift armrest that is not height adjustable (unless you consider adjusting the seat lower is technically making the armrest height a "little higher" come on Honda, if you're going to bring a car to left hand markets, please reengineer the simple things too! look the magic seats are F'd up too. I can't carry wide things like they can on RHD markets due to them being backwards in our cars.
2:more info should be available on the info screen , hell it's being read by the ECU, so Honda give us an option to see it if we want!

Originally Posted by Strumbone

Wait have you driven a MT 2015 fit and found it to have a drone? (not being rude just really curious)
Also I too wish it had a true OD, but the car only has 130hp and think it would create bogging issues that would create bad press, and maybe a trans issues (Honda's 4cy transmissions have been pretty bullet proof in the past) my S2000 has 240hp and in 6th gear it's at 4000 @ 75mph - i'd kill for a real OD in it as I can only muster 28mpg in it, it used to cost me $140 round trip to SoCal(in the GD and GE), now it'll be almost $90 more for the same trip.(in the S) although it'll be less stress on the hills

OP I was wondering if you can speak more about this ---> although it's taking a little bit to get used to the ambient meters (they're essentially shift suggestions on the MT). <---is there a shift light like an arrow?, or is it the dash lights get brighter as you rev? is it noticeable during the day too?
more info please
also this ---> I also was lead to believe there'd be more trip info available than just Trip A history and current/previous average MPG. <--- there has to be trip A and B!!! ???

OP awesome write up and yes I read every post after that all the way up to here - this forum kicks ass!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
OP I was wondering if you can speak more about this ---> although it's taking a little bit to get used to the ambient meters (they're essentially shift suggestions on the MT). <---is there a shift light like an arrow?, or is it the dash lights get brighter as you rev? is it noticeable during the day too?
more info please
also this ---> I also was lead to believe there'd be more trip info available than just Trip A history and current/previous average MPG. <--- there has to be trip A and B!!! ???

OP awesome write up and yes I read every post after that all the way up to here - this forum kicks ass!!!
Thanks! I'm loving this forum as well. Lots of info and opinions but (maybe a little surprisingly) friendly.

As for your questions...

The "ambient meters" are just parenthesis shaped lights around the speedometer that fade from green (when you're driving more efficiently) to blue (when you're not). Essentially what happens is as you rev, lights go more blue and get fully blue when you should shift for better economy. They're not true shift indicators because if you gas it in 6th, they'll still go blue. You can see the lights pretty well in the day as well.

There is a Trip A and B odometer and associated avg MPG on the dash, it's just that on the 7" screen you can only see details/history about Trip A. The owners manual hinted that what was available on the screen would change based on if A/B (or any of the other options) were selected on the dash.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks!

This thread reassured me that getting an LX 6MT was a great choice!

Picking up my Fit tomorrow morning!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Fit 6MT

Great review of the CAR, impressive.

Did the 3rd generation of this car really aged? Grew mature? ….. Packaging yes, other areas maybe not JJJ

I have had Fit 2015 EX Silver for a month now, 2500 miles on it, mostly highway, constantly averaging 38 MPG, city driving and rural roads at 40-60 mph is above 42 MPG. Excellent. Spacious and great cargo hauler willfit a lot of things.

The car has good road grip, easy handling on roads, responseto input is great, however gusty winds at times needs constant correction.

Wish MT's had better NVH refinement and smoother shifts, particularly the wining noise, which seems to be coming from gear box at all gears between 20 to 60 mph, is a constant irritation, always begs to be pushed hard, 70 mph at 3600 rpm is its sweet spot, reminds me of my old 2002 Civic Coupe EX 5MT, same characteristics and almost feels the same, my other 2012 CRV is much quieter at slow speeds.

So far 2500 miles on it ……. going great

Last edited by rsad80; 12-09-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: revision