3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disable Eco Coaching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Disable Eco Coaching?

Is there a way to disable the green bars that appear on the side of the speedometer? I like how all the gauges are blue, so the one green flashing color is just distracting. I don't need a blue light to tell me that I am pressing the accelerator.

The owner's manuals on honda.com offer clues but no solutions. The 2015 Technology Reference Guide (EX/EX-L) on page seven says "This feature can be turned off in the Customize Settings Menu. See your Owner’s
Manual for more information."

The owner's manual mentions the Eco Assist "Ambient Meter" only once, on page nine, and there is no mention of settings to disable this feature. There is no "Customize Settings Menu", at least on the EX-L. The Civic, Accord and CRV all have settings to turn off the Eco Assist Ambient meter but I searched through my EX-L's HondaLink settings and could not find the setting anywhere.

Anybody know? Can somebody with an LX check if there is a display setting to disable "fuel efficiency backlight" (the name of the setting in a Civic)?

Also the eco coaching ambient meter turns green even when using the brakes, albiet gently. USING THE BRAKES IS NOT FUEL EFFICIENT!

Last edited by simonx314; 07-16-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added comment about green light while braking
Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I cannot find an answer for you. Tried looking myself. Had this on my old Insight and turned it off, but not this one and I have the EX-L. Wonder if its on the EX-L Nav ? Just guessing

Last edited by SR45; 07-18-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
I've had my EX-L for four days now, and since my post two days ago I have completely reversed my opinion. I love the Eco Ambient Meter. I am learning to be very easy on the gas and I am getting 50 mpg in my rush hour commute where before I was only getting 40.

I still want to know how to turn it off though, out of principle, because I don't like not knowing where settings are especially when the documentation says there is a setting.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM
I have Navi, and it's not an option to shut off that I can find in the menus. I drilled into every menu level to be sure.

I like it, so I guess that is a good thing! Makes you wonder why they say you can, but no one has figured out how to do it just yet.

I will confirm that you could shut if off in the Accord, though.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I just double-checked in the "Tech Manual" - turns out it's very simple, you just press the button on the dash to turn it on or off

Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frogster
I just double-checked in the "Tech Manual" - turns out it's very simple, you just press the button on the dash to turn it on or off
Whaaa? I guess there's another button on there somewhere I'm not sure of. Or are you talking about the trip button?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:13 PM
You sure you don't mean eco mode?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raziaar
Whaaa? I guess there's another button on there somewhere I'm not sure of. Or are you talking about the trip button?
Here's a link to the various online manuals, for whichever trim model you have, with or without Navigation:
Owner's Manual | 2015 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site

Look at page 7 of the online Tech manual that I was referring to - it wouldn't let me add a screen-grab of it, sorry...

Hope that helps!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Here's a link to the various online manuals, for whichever trim model you have, with or without Navigation:
Owner's Manual | 2015 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site

Look at page 7 of the online Tech manual that I was referring to - it wouldn't let me add a screen-grab of it, sorry...

Hope that helps!
That's just the econ mode button. Turning that on/off doesn't affect the ambient "eco coaching" meters, it just changes throttle response and A/C usage. Also in the MT models, there's no button and they still have the meters.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 PM
We are trying to figure out how, (or if you even can) to turn off the ambient light meter ("eco coaching") around the speedo that glows different colors based on how efficiently you're driving. The manual says you can do this in the customized setting, but it seems that you can't. (I had an Accord that had the ambient light meter, and you could shut it off.) Some find the changing light distracting, or just don't like it.

ETA:mikeygnyc beat me to it.

So if you can figure that out, you'll make a lot of people very pleased! I like the light, so I think I'm in the minority.

Last edited by xStitchx; 07-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  19q91av.png
Views: 149
Size:  53.4 KB

Honestly I keep it on, because it's better retraining me.

You can turn it off basically by diving into the screen settings.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
I've asked this before as well. This needs to be an option to turn off if you wish. Hopefully the 2016's will have it.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:47 AM
One could always remove the light or LED from the cluster.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raziaar

Honestly I keep it on, because it's better retraining me.

You can turn it off basically by diving into the screen settings.
So I just went out in my car trying to disable this in the settings, and found it nowhere. I could have sworn I found it somewhere when I first got my car.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 PM
It is too bad Honda does not have a customer service person or tech person monitoring this site to help answer these types of questions. I had a 2012 Mustang and was on site similar to this and Ford had a person who monitored the comments and did provide help and contact info at times. I should get my 2015 FIT LX next week. Bill

Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 AM
I remember seeing it in the settings on the head unit... will check when the wife returns.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 AM
couldnt find it... strange
I specifically remember seeing that setting somewhere.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
there IS an option to turn it off. i played around with it a week ago when i had my car.

as soon as i get it back, i will report the procedure.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
An entire forum of trolls who report that it's possible but won't tell you how its done???

Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vaguba
An entire forum of trolls who report that it's possible but won't tell you how its done???
i am a troll? nice, real nice...

sorry, i did this a week ago, when i was playing with the settings. i had the manual, and followed it. if i had a car, i would walk him through it.

Quick Reply: Disable Eco Coaching?