3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Gas Gauge/Range Way Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit At Last
Has anyone else with a 2015 had any issues with the digital gas gauge? Even when the "range" says that I only have 5 miles left, and the gauge is down to one, when I head to the gas station, it only fills up 8 - 8.5 gallons. With a 10.8 gallon tank and even considering the low side of mpg, that's off by about 70 miles.

If you have a 2015, can you tell me how much you fill up when the range indicator is in single digits? I want to know if this is just me.

Car manuacturers learned long ago not to have gas gauges that measured from zero content. So they invented the reerve and measured from there. Most vehicles have a 50 to 60 mile reserve so that when the tank says empty there is about 1.5 to 3 gallons still avauilable to the fuel pump.
If they were actually accurate some like you would think they can go to single digit gas level and run out of gas; the worse part of that is not that you had a long walk home but the damage done to injectors that depend on gas for lubrication and no gas means injectors rub hard against their shrouds. And often affect mpg thereafter.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fit At Last
Has anyone else with a 2015 had any issues with the digital gas gauge? Even when the "range" says that I only have 5 miles left, and the gauge is down to one, when I head to the gas station, it only fills up 8 - 8.5 gallons. With a 10.8 gallon tank and even considering the low side of mpg, that's off by about 70 miles.

If you have a 2015, can you tell me how much you fill up when the range indicator is in single digits? I want to know if this is just me.
I've just done my first fill with the 2015 Fit, 6M version because the gas light came on. I only filled 7.9 gallons with an average fuel economy of 35mpg and a range reading of 10 miles.

I just bought it on Monday and thought the fuel gauge was dropping quickly and worried it was eating a ton of gas for some reason. Turns out it wasn't eating a ton of gas, the gauges are just off. I'm actually contacting the dealer on this since it's a big difference between what the user manual says and what's actually happening.

-Micah

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM
There are several factors that affect this so-called "issue":
1. The owner's manual states that you have 1.59 gallons left once the low fuel light comes on; I would wager a bet that there's more than that left as manufactures most always leave a "reserve"
2. Not sure how you fill your tank, but if you stop filling after the first click, the tank will not be completely full. I know it depends on the pump, but on my last fillup, I added 1.5 gallons after the 1st auto-shutoff (next fill I will see if I can get 2 gallons in).
3. The tank size is most definitely larger than 10.6 gallons (my last car had a "14.5" gallon fuel tank, but I repeatedly added between 16.5-16.8 gallons per fillup).

Last edited by GoBucky; 02-27-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My light has come on and I could only put 8.2 gallons in... So, there is space for 2.4 more and the range indicated 30 miles, yet it was at least double that.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM
I ran mine till the gauge no longer registered and after the mileage to go was at zero I drove another 10 miles. Took 9.15 gallons to fill

Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 PM
The most I've been able to put in the car so far was approximately 31 litres (8.2 gallons) of gas. The gas light seems to come on when there's 10 litres left for me (2.64 gallons) which is exactly the same time as my previous 2 cars (except they had 50L tanks, not 40L), so this seems somewhat close to what the OP is experiencing. I figured this was pretty normal, not too sure now reading the manual which indicates the light will come on at around 6L left.. that's a 4ish litre difference..

Last edited by kellyjoy; 03-29-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by kellyjoy
The most I've been able to put in the car so far was approximately 31 litres (8.2 gallons) of gas. The gas light seems to come on when there's 10 litres left for me (2.64 gallons) which is exactly the same time as my previous 2 cars (except they had 50L tanks, not 40L), so this seems somewhat close to what the OP is experiencing. I figured this was pretty normal, not too sure now reading the manual which indicates the light will come on at around 6L left.. that's a 4ish litre difference..
I think my light came on when I got down to 2 bars on the gage.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM
On this last tank I drove 79 miles after the low fuel light came on, which is approx. 1.55 gallons, which pretty much agrees with what the owners manual states is left when the light comes on (1.59gal). When filling, I had 9.6 gallons after the first click, then added 1.6 more gallons for a total of a 11.2 gallons.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 PM
sws
Originally Posted by GoBucky
On this last tank I drove 79 miles after the low fuel light came on, which is approx. 1.55 gallons, which pretty much agrees with what the owners manual states is left when the light comes on (1.59gal). When filling, I had 9.6 gallons after the first click, then added 1.6 more gallons for a total of a 11.2 gallons.
Thanks GoBucky, this is the info I've been looking for. I had a 2011 Fit with a needle gauge. I always put in about 11 gallons per fillup giving me a range of about 400 - 450 miles ( a couple times when I was feeling lucky i'd be able to put in 11.5. Just filled up my 2015 for the first time and only got in 10.1 and I though I was on fumes. I think this is the issue. With a needle gauge it is not accurate either but at least it tells you something. With my 2011 I'd usually go about 120 miles before it would read right on the F. Then based on the low level light and my gas mileage I knew how far below E I could go, about 3 -5 millimeters needle below the E. With this 2015, there is no guidance below the E, just a 0 reading on the range.
I think I'll either just be doing the math based on the low level light or I'll be getting a gauge like Fit Charlie uses. I sure did not plan to have 100 miles less range with a car that is supposed to get significantly better mileage than the 2011 5 speed manual I used to have.

Last edited by sws; 05-02-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by sws
I think I'll either just be doing the math based on the low level light or I'll be getting a gauge like Fit Charlie uses. I sure did not plan to have 100 miles less range with a car that is supposed to get significantly better mileage than the 2011 5 speed manual I used to have.
Definitely get a gauge, it makes a world of difference and offers a lot of motivation and incentive to improve your numbers. I've been using the ScanGauge II for years, but any gauge will certainly help. It will also give you a much more accurate reading of how much gas is remaining, once you have it calibrated that is. Your range should improve with the 2015 MY, I'm shooting for a 600 mile tank but it mostly depends on where I am and where the next gas station is. I really wish I knew what the actual capacity of the tank was, if it were 11.5 gal, I'd like to find out.

Did you get my PM reply re the Fuelly badge?

Last edited by GoBucky; 05-04-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM
sws
I am curious if the capacity of the system, tank + filler neck, is the same as the previous years, the tank seems to be. Anyway, I guess I'll get that gauge and also take a small jug of gas for a drive and see what it takes to fill the car after it runs dry.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM
sws
Badge

Yes I did get the instructions. They worked great! I was in a mad rush to get set up and get out of town. I appreciate it. I just need to get rid of the URL. My delete key does not seem to phase it on the Preview page.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
sws
I'm buying an UltraGauge for my 2015. Any recommendations on which mount to select? I checked out a FitFreak UltraGauge forum, most seemed to mount them with a suction cup on the little left forward window. That thread died in 2012 though.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Horizontal surface mount.

Sits it right on top of the steering column, mine's offset to the left, blocking some wasted space in the bottom right of the tach.

Edit: Of course, mine's a GE. Yours might be different.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM
sws
That sounds great. I ran out and looked at that area. It seems pretty much unchanged in the new design. Horizontal Mount it is.
Thanks

Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely get a gauge, it makes a world of difference and offers a lot of motivation and incentive to improve your numbers. I've been using the ScanGauge II for years, but any gauge will certainly help. It will also give you a much more accurate reading of how much gas is remaining, once you have it calibrated that is. Your range should improve with the 2015 MY, I'm shooting for a 600 mile tank but it mostly depends on where I am and where the next gas station is. I really wish I knew what the actual capacity of the tank was, if it were 11.5 gal, I'd like to find out.

Did you get my PM reply re the Fuelly badge?
1. running injectors dry is a good way to damge th; the gas is a lubricant for the injectors. once damaged your mpg may plummet
2. if you insist, be sure you are running o flat and level roadway when you run dry,.
I am amused at the number of drivers who want to run the tank to or very nearempty between refills. there is a purpose?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by sws
I'm buying an UltraGauge for my 2015.
Excellent, your MPGs will climb once you get it. Just keep in mind there will be a learning curve as you figure out how to alter your driving habits to best get the gauge, your Fit and you to all work together. But all that means is you should be seeing a constant increase in your MPGs, not necessarily with every tank, but over the long run.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by sws
I'm buying an UltraGauge for my 2015. Any recommendations on which mount to select? ........
If possible, please post pics of where you end up mounting the UltraGauge. I'm considering getting one but cannot decide on where would be a good place to mount it that wouldn't be too intrusive to air vents, buttons, and displays, but that it is still easy to read while driving. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Gas light came on. Went to fill the tank and filled it up completely. Did the calculation on how much went into the tank (10.57Gal - amt filled), and there was 2.4 gallons remaining, which coincides to what someone else here says they got.

So I could have driven approx 65-70 more miles.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
There are several factors that affect this so-called "issue":
1. The owner's manual states that you have 1.59 gallons left once the low fuel light comes on; I would wager a bet that there's more than that left as manufactures most always leave a "reserve"
2. Not sure how you fill your tank, but if you stop filling after the first click, the tank will not be completely full. I know it depends on the pump, but on my last fillup, I added 1.5 gallons after the 1st auto-shutoff (next fill I will see if I can get 2 gallons in).
3. The tank size is most definitely larger than 10.6 gallons (my last car had a "14.5" gallon fuel tank, but I repeatedly added between 16.5-16.8 gallons per fillup).
Actually that is a myth. If you have 10.6 gallon tank then that is all the fuel it's gonna hold regardless of how many times you click at the pump. I generally stop at second click. So i wait 20 seconds after the first click for the "foam bubbles" to settle down and then stop at second click. That's it. Any more fuel you pump will be wasted in terms of fuel and dollars as the tank is already full. The excess fuel is either being returned back into the gas station's tanks which you are paying for or overflow lines in your car is dumping the excess fuel. I used to be the guy who would click like 5-6 times before putting the nozzle back into the pump. What waste of money I did over the years. *facepalm*

I do wish Honda give us a bigger tank like 12 or even 13 gallons which would have been great. But it's not really big of a deal to plan ahead of fuel stops during my long daily commutes.

Last edited by DArkk; 05-11-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge/Range Way Off