3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CVT vs. 6MT.. What will be more reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Arrow CVT vs. 6MT.. What will be more reliable?

What transmission do you think would be the most reliable for years to come?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a lot of faith in the CVT lasting a long time but don't think it would outlast the Manual Tranny. Just a personal opinion. I expect the CVT to last me the entire time I own my EX-L so I am not concerned. Would it last 15 years? Doubt it. Short of a bearing failure in a manual or synchronizer going back I think the manual would live pretty much forever.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
As a Honda salesperson, its hard to see with a new transmission. The CVT is now, but the R&D on it was years in the making. The manual tranny is proven, though. I've personally had 5 Hondas with no issues when it comes to any transmission.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
As a Honda salesperson, its hard to see with a new transmission. The CVT is now, but the R&D on it was years in the making. The manual tranny is proven, though. I've personally had 5 Hondas with no issues when it comes to any transmission.
I used to think that manual transmissions were kings of reliability. In a way I was correct, but then I found out how much it costs to replace the clutch in a transverse-engine FWD car! Wow! Clutches will eventually wear out even if the trans does not.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I used to think that manual transmissions were kings of reliability. In a way I was correct, but then I found out how much it costs to replace the clutch in a transverse-engine FWD car! Wow! Clutches will eventually wear out even if the trans does not.
Very true. But its not something you should have to worry about for years, unless you drive the car really hard.

It's Honda, which means its more reliable than most other brands. I would just get the drivetrain I want and makes the most sense.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
...But its not something you should have to worry about for years.
In my case, about 10 years, or 160,000 miles, and I'm an adult driver. Still doesn't make the pain of repair any less. It's too bad they couldn't have made the friction material about 1/2 again as thick.

I hate to think of all the things that will have to be dismantled and disconnected on my never-been-touched car and all the little teething problems this can cause.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
All I can say is my prior car was a 2011 Fiesta in a M/T. Never had any issues, yet, the CVT version got MANY complaints. If I recall, Ford admitted the early version needed a new mapping, but after that, it may had still had problems but a lot of people complained it was noisy and not smooth.

My wife has the 2014 Civic in a CVT and it sure seems smooth and quiet to me.

Personally, if I had the Fit in a CVT, I wouldn't be worried about it, and the winner would likely be with so many miles on it to be able to outdo the other, that it wouldn't matter much. Just my opinion for my limited experience.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by robot
All I can say is my prior car was a 2011 Fiesta in a M/T. Never had any issues, yet, the CVT version got MANY complaints. If I recall, Ford admitted the early version needed a new mapping, but after that, it may had still had problems but a lot of people complained it was noisy and not smooth.

My wife has the 2014 Civic in a CVT and it sure seems smooth and quiet to me.

Personally, if I had the Fit in a CVT, I wouldn't be worried about it, and the winner would likely be with so many miles on it to be able to outdo the other, that it wouldn't matter much. Just my opinion for my limited experience.
The 2011-present Ford Fiesta has a dual-clutch transmission. That transmission received a lot of complains from users, and cannot be compared with the CVT in the Fit.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Argentum
The 2011-present Ford Fiesta has a dual-clutch transmission. That transmission received a lot of complains from users, and cannot be compared with the CVT in the Fit.
Sorry about the mixup. Thanks. Found this article interesting and maybe the problems were worse than I read originally on only the 2011.

Is Your New Ford Focus a Lemon Law Case Waiting to Happen?

The Pathfinder has issues with their CVT in the article.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:33 AM
That article is a pretty good piece of self-promotion for a lemon-law lawyer. Not exactly objective reporting, that.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:34 AM

you can get quotes under $600 if you find a shop that deals majority in FWD

A clutch with proper driving can last over 100K miles, and there are Honda manual transmissions with over 300k miles out there.

Id rather destroy a clutch and flywheel, rather then a transmission.

Automatics will eventually spit out a solenoid or have cross-leaks within teh valvebodies, and CVT transmissions will require expensive fluid flushes as they are more sensitive.

Either transmission chosen, it should easily outlast the car if maintained properly and you do not drive like a teenager 100% of the time

Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robot
All I can say is my prior car was a 2011 Fiesta in a M/T. Never had any issues, yet, the CVT version got MANY complaints.
Are you sure your 2011 Fiesta had a CVT? I remember lots of problems with Ford's dual clutch automatic in the Fiesta.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by hspatz
Are you sure your 2011 Fiesta had a CVT? I remember lots of problems with Ford's dual clutch automatic in the Fiesta.
No they do not, but the member was just pointing out that Ford has its share of issues

Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
you can get quotes under $600 if you find a shop that deals majority in FWD
Like I said, Wow! $500 in labor to replace a $50 part is pretty shocking. I'd always done my own with RWD cars and Subarus but the clutch in a transvese FWD car is a lot less mechanic-friendly.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep. Any clutch will wear out eventually. Last time I had one replaced in a FWD car...close to $900

Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray
Yep. Any clutch will wear out eventually. Last time I had one replaced in a FWD car...close to $900

Considering parts were close to $300 or more, that is a perfectly reasonably quote.

Good thing you only need a clutch every 80k-100k++ miles depending on how you drive

Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Considering parts were close to $300 or more, that is a perfectly reasonably quote.

Good thing you only need a clutch every 80k-100k++ miles depending on how you drive
My 1991 Civic Si was still on the stock clutch at 150k miles when I sold it in 2011. Shifted better than any other car I've driven. Manausl are so difficult to maintain >_>

Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
My 1991 Civic Si was still on the stock clutch at 150k miles when I sold it in 2011. Shifted better than any other car I've driven. Manausl are so difficult to maintain >_>
And it could have been toast at 150,001 miles. It's a crapshoot to determine exactly when they will go, but their demise is inevitable.

Clutch kits are $150 retail and less than that to the trade. Pro mechanics do not pay full dealer ripoff for parts.

Unfortunately, transverse FWD cars are primarily designed to be easy to assemble at the factory, not to service. That clutch disk is buried right in the middle of everything and there is no easy way to get at it. It's pretty much designed to be a big service liability as the car gets older.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
No they do not, but the member was just pointing out that Ford has its share of issues
I must be missing something here. What does Ford having its share of issues have to do with the relative reliability of the manual versus CVT in the 2015 Fit? Frankly, I see no relevance at all.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
And it could have been toast at 150,001 miles. It's a crapshoot to determine exactly when they will go, but their demise is inevitable.
What I'm saying is...20+ years of service with ZERO issues. Have fun getting that from any auto/CVT, especially a Honda auto. (Look up their V6 autos from the early 00's)

Quick Reply: CVT vs. 6MT.. What will be more reliable?