3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

removing door panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 PM
removing door panels

to those who have installed speakers, how did you guys manage to remove the door panels? They're nothing like the GEs at all. I'm scratching my head looking at them.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 AM
have you tried a google search or looking at a video on youtube?

Also try crutchfield, they sometimes do DIY guides to getting at the speakers. It helps them sell car audio if the buyer thinks they can do it. They are usually pretty accurate

Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
They're similar to the CR-V. You have to first pop the window switch panel up, disconnect the window switch and remove the 2 screws in the door panel (1 in the door pull, the other in the area of the window switch on the panel). After that, the panel can be pulled off... Try to keep track and be mindful of the clips holding the door panel on.

The rear is the same basic way, just have to pull the rear trim piece for the rear window which is right on top of the door panel.

Last edited by Hootie; 08-09-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Yea I've looked at Google (nothing for the GK), and YouTube (only stuff for the GE really, and the only thing for the GK was in Japanese and the guy skipped the entire removal process).

I got the speakers from crutchfield thinking they'll send instructions on removing the panels like they used to, but they didn't include any for the Fit.

I've removed door panels before on Toyotas and Nissans so I know what to look for, but the door panel on the GK looks like one entire piece so I was stumbled. I'll try removing the window control panel tomorrow if it's like the CR-V, and see if that works out. It looks really tight to remove it out though. I started with the armrest area but it seems to be screwed on one side to the door panel from within the door panel ... so taking out the armrest first was a nono.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Please take pics and post to help those who are still waiting for their Jazz/Fit like me.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
I got the speakers from crutchfield thinking they'll send instructions on removing the panels like they used to, but they didn't include any for the Fit.
Wow! That's a surprise. I bet they'll have all the details in a few months.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've removed door panels before on Toyotas and Nissans so I know what to look for, but the door panel on the GK looks like one entire piece so I was stumbled. I'll try removing the window control panel tomorrow if it's like the CR-V, and see if that works out. It looks really tight to remove it out though. I started with the armrest area but it seems to be screwed on one side to the door panel from within the door panel ... so taking out the armrest first was a nono.
Yeah, its a little bit of a head scratcher at first glance but relatively simple. As long as you carefully pop the window switch panel off (which should come off in one piece) then after that you unscrew the screws in the interior door handle and the screw in the door panel which was previously hidden by the window switch panel.

So again... as long as you can get this panel off... (CR-V is pictured)

You should be able to remove those 2 screws and carefully remove the door pane.

Last edited by Hootie; 08-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Yeah, its a little bit of a head scratcher at first glance but relatively simple. As long as you carefully pop the window switch panel off (which should come off in one piece) then after that you unscrew the screws in the interior door handle and the screw in the door panel which was previously hidden by the window switch panel.

So again... as long as you can get this panel off... (CR-V is pictured)

You should be able to remove those 2 screws and carefully remove the door pane.
Those plastic panel removal tools work great - no scratching. I got a couple of sets from Amazon. Without a manual, it's scary starting to remove panels, though.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Yea I removed all my door panels, dynamat, and installed my speakers last night. I used a plastic putty 'knif e' since I didn't have a plastic trim tool. You can pick up three plastic putty "knives" for $1 at home depot. They wormed great to remove the window switch. There's a really tiny gap towards the window switch to slide the tool under to lift off the entire window switch panel.

After that, its easy to just work from one corner, pull, and continue down from that corner along the edges.

BTW, the front doors seem to be nicely insulated with padding and foam already. And be careful with the size speakers installed for the front doors. With the windows all the way down, they are very close to the magnet portion of the Kenwood 6 3/4" speakers I put in. The rear with windows are fine.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I removed all my door panels, dynamat, and installed my speakers last night. I used a plastic putty 'knif e' since I didn't have a plastic trim tool. You can pick up three plastic putty "knives" for $1 at home depot. They wormed great to remove the window switch. There's a really tiny gap towards the window switch to slide the tool under to lift off the entire window switch panel.

After that, its easy to just work from one corner, pull, and continue down from that corner along the edges.

BTW, the front doors seem to be nicely insulated with padding and foam already. And be careful with the size speakers installed for the front doors. With the windows all the way down, they are very close to the magnet portion of the Kenwood 6 3/4" speakers I put in. The rear with windows are fine.
Thanks for the speaker dimension. I have speakers I bought for another car, but I suspect they're too big. I think the Dynamat will be the right size, though.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Thanks for the speaker dimension. I have speakers I bought for another car, but I suspect they're too big. I think the Dynamat will be the right size, though.
Yea be careful with the front windows. With the crutch field harness connected to my Kenwood, the window all the way down actually hits at the harness, so maybe... Tie the harness down too. Like I said before, the rear window seems to be fine with speakers with bigger magnets on them.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Yea I removed all my door panels, dynamat, and installed my speakers last night. I used a plastic putty 'knif e' since I didn't have a plastic trim tool.

Can you tell a noticeable difference with the Dynamat installed? I suppose that I am trying to say-Is it worth the cost and effort to install it?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eCity Fit
Can you tell a noticeable difference with the Dynamat installed? I suppose that I am trying to say-Is it worth the cost and effort to install it?
I have Dynamat waiting to be installed. What kind of speakers did you put in there? Do you have any pictures?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I have Dynamat waiting to be installed. What kind of speakers did you put in there? Do you have any pictures?
I had Rockford Fosgate Punch P165's installed in front and rear doors. Sorry no pictures. Also put a small 10" RF sub in the hatch. I had someone install them for me. WOW, I will say that they sound 10x better than the factory speakers!
Let me know how the Dynamat works for you...The Fit has a good bit of road noise IMHO. I would probably be willing to invest in some of it makes a noticeable difference.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I actually posted a thread on this exact topic a couple of days ago. There are some helpful pictures in their. I'm about to start my speaker install right now. I'll take pictures along the way, and I'll upload them tonight.