3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit vs. Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Question Fit vs. Mazda3

Hi, all!

This board is fabulous, thank you all for contributing such great info!

I've been lurking here for weeks, contemplating the purchase of a new Fit, going cross-eyed in the process with all of this research!

I nearly pulled the trigger on the Fit a few weeks ago, but now I'm tempted by the new Mazda3 hatchbacks. Decisions, decisions.

I'm not in a hurry, so I have time to weigh this a bit more. And, if I buy a Fit, it will be awhile anyway ~ I want a passion berry stick shift, which are as rare as hen's teeth in this area, so I'll have to order one!

To me, the Mazda3 is sharp-looking, has a nicer fit and finish (it seems) and a great, zippy engine.

The Fit's interior isn't as nice/polished looking as the Mazda's, IMO, but I'm ok with simple. I like the touch screen embedded into the dash vs. the Mazda's display, which sits above the dash. The Fit is attractive, but not as swanky as the Mazda's hatch design, IMO.

The Fit is a few thousand bucks cheaper, too, and has a bigger cargo area and groovy Magic Seats.

So, as you can see, I'm torn.

Obviously, everyone here loves the Fit. But, has anyone else also looked at the Mazda 3? What are your thoughts?

This will be my first new car, ever, at the ripe age of 48. So I want it to be a good decision.

Thanks for reading!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Is gas mileage super important? Do you have need for the extra cargo space?
The touch screen implementation in the new Fit is quite bad, I would definitely not list that as an advantage to the Fit.

Are you planning on getting a manual or automatic? I would highly recommend the mazda automatic over the Fit CVT.

The Mazda will also slaughter the fit in drive feel, response, handling, etc.
Of the people I know who have the new Mazda 3, they are able to get in the high 30's MPG wise, but it would probably serve you best to research that more on your own.

Overall, I would take a close look at how much more a Mazda 3 that is equipped the way you want is than a similarly equipped Fit, and do some calculations how much more it is per month, based on how long your loan/interest rate will be (assuming you finance).

I would also research resale value, as Mazda has very high resale value (and especially the new one, which basically won every award out there for its class)
I believe Honda has good resale value as well, so that may be a moot point.

Which engine were you considering? I considered the bigger engined hatchback as opposed to my Fit, but the wife liked the visibility and "cuteness" of the Fit. In hindsight I probably should have bought the Mazda.

*I'll say this here, as people are going to comment, I have a biased opinion based on the many issues I am having with my Fit, and my opinion expressed here is simply my opinion. Take what you will from what I said, and if it helps you then good. I would rather honestly say "buy the Mazda 3" than be blinded by fanboyism simply because of what I chose to buy.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
BMO
You're not alone! Check this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...07-fit-vs.html

I think Honda will be very pleased that the Fit is being cross-shopped with the pricier 3. It says a lot that people are so torn between the two!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks so much, BigBad...very helpful.

I've followed all of your threads about your Fit's unfortunate issues, and I appreciate your response.

I'd be getting a manual transmission. For the Mazda, I'm looking at the iTouring model. Comparing the two, the Fit EX is about $2,000 cheaper with similar bells and whistles.

MPG is a concern, but not a huge issue, as I don't have a long commute. From what I've read, the MPGs are about equal for both cars ... most folks, it seems, are getting at least 40 with M/Ts.

The Fit's cargo space is tempting b/c I carry bikes in my car, but I can certainly do that in the Mazda's hatch, too.

I've always owned German cars, and I now drive a Mini, so the Mazda feels a bit familiar behind the wheel, more so than the Fit. We also own a Civic, which has been blissfully trouble free, which is why I started to look at Fits in the first place. But now I'm not so sure.

Thank you again for taking time to write. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks, BMO, somehow I missed that thread! I'm telling you, I'm cross-eyed from all of this reading.

I should also add, I'd be waiting to buy a 2015 Mazda3, since it has more standard features now, at the same price as 2014's models.

Last edited by RedHouse; 08-11-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added comment about 2015 model
Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is an '07, my Wife's car is an '08 Mazda 3 hatchback. I like both cars. The magic seat is the deal breaker for me. Mine stays in tall mode with my bicycle in the back seat area. The 3 definitely has more power with less fuel economy. The Fit seems to have more storage due to the deep hatch area. If I had it to do all over again, I would still chose the Fit over the 3. Personally, I'm waiting for the HRV. My Fit has 160K miles, so it should be a few years before I need a new car.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
First, let me just say that if Honda didn't exist I would probably be a Mazda boy. They make nice cars and the current models look great.

That being said, I feel like the Mazda 3 and Fit are a night and day difference. Here's my two cents:

Honda Fit

If you have a budget in mind, but need a lot of space, the Fit is the clear winner. I packed my 2ng Gen Fit with a 50" Plasma TV with stand and a 7.1 Home Theater (that's seven speakers, a sub and receiver) and still have plenty of room to spare.

The Fit is a fun car to drive and has a host of standard features you cannot beat for the price. Some of the exclusive features, like LaneWatch, you cannot find on anything else. And if you get it in manual trim, then you will be rowing from the best makers in the business (plenty of magazines have stated Honda makes the best manuals in the world).

Resale value will be higher as well.

Mazda 3

The new 3 is a very handsome car. If a luxury brand had an entry level car with the design of the 3, many people would feel it's a hot car. The interior is of higher quality and has a very Euro feel to it.

I would say Mazda is just behind Honda in the manual transmission department, but not by much (had an RX8 R3 and a Mugen Si).

The 3 gives you very good MPG and in stock trim will probably handle better than the Fit will.

It also received good marks as far as quality and reliability.

To be straight with you, if I didn't love Honda, it would be a tough choice. But if I put emotions aside, this is how I would look at it.

I have a wife and two kids. I need cargo space, room for baby seats, good safety rating, MPG and want a slick 6 Speed. That to me spells the Fit.

I am single or married, don't have any kids, want something more professional looking and fun to drive. This says Mazda 3.

But if you factor in the money proposition, the Fit is the clear winner. And if money wasn't an issue, then I guess you would be cross shopping a GT-R with a 911.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
We had just purchased a new Mazda CX-5 for my wife to drive, when we decided to also get my daughter a new 2015 Honda Fit for college. I like both cars, and commented to my wife that the CX-5 was almost like a Honda Fit on Steroids. I like the higher entry, and suspect I will really like the new Honda HRV for that very reason. Mazda does do a nice job, and my wife also liked the fact it was still being built in Japan.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 PM
I have a buddy who bought a 3 about a month ago, it is a sweet ride and the interior is a little higher quality but the display is certainly out of place sticking upon the dash like it does. He bought the larger engine and has been getting 40+ on the highway, that is pretty impressive and it has a lot of spunk. Paint looks superior to the Fits, but having said that I still wouldn't trade the Fit, I love this car and someone will always have something better to offer so you have to pick the things you like and not be influenced by others opinions.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 PM
I actually looked at the Mazda and Fit before I ended up with the Fit.

I testdrove each car at least twice at various dealerships and each time, I wasn't happy with how they didn't have a different color Fit. Each time I was reminded by how much faster the Mazda was, but also how much tighter and smaller the interior was.

In the end, I was happy I waited for the passion berry fit, and lucky that it was the trim I wanted too. I was "so close" to getting the Mazda, but knew I wasn't going to be happy unless I shelled out for the sGT. Because I want a moon roof, I would want the 18 inch rims cuz the 16inch ones on the I trims look dorky, and for that amount of money I better have HIDs. But overall the amount of money I'd have to spend to be content vs just being content already with an Ex-L Fit (plus having the fun of being able to mod the Fit) was what ultimately had me choose the Fit. Oh and plus it was sooooooooo much easier getting in and out of the Fit, and the back up guide lines on the Mazda was archaic compared to the Fit.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 PM
I also considered a Mazda 3 to point of test driving it and thoroughly researching it. It is a pleasurable car to drive with great fuel economy and comfort. However, the bottom line is, for the features I want/can get in a Fit EX, I would actually need to opt for the Grand Touring trim in a Mazda 3 and that is quite a bit more expensive. If could afford the Mazda3 iGrand Touring, I'd get that even though the Fit makes better use of interior space regardless.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by RedHouse
Hi, all!

This board is fabulous, thank you all for contributing such great info!

I've been lurking here for weeks, contemplating the purchase of a new Fit, going cross-eyed in the process with all of this research!

I nearly pulled the trigger on the Fit a few weeks ago, but now I'm tempted by the new Mazda3 hatchbacks. Decisions, decisions.

I'm not in a hurry, so I have time to weigh this a bit more. And, if I buy a Fit, it will be awhile anyway ~ I want a passion berry stick shift, which are as rare as hen's teeth in this area, so I'll have to order one!

To me, the Mazda3 is sharp-looking, has a nicer fit and finish (it seems) and a great, zippy engine.

The Fit's interior isn't as nice/polished looking as the Mazda's, IMO, but I'm ok with simple. I like the touch screen embedded into the dash vs. the Mazda's display, which sits above the dash. The Fit is attractive, but not as swanky as the Mazda's hatch design, IMO.

The Fit is a few thousand bucks cheaper, too, and has a bigger cargo area and groovy Magic Seats.

So, as you can see, I'm torn.

Obviously, everyone here loves the Fit. But, has anyone else also looked at the Mazda 3? What are your thoughts?

This will be my first new car, ever, at the ripe age of 48. So I want it to be a good decision.

Thanks for reading!
I looked at the Mazda3, but passed. No way was it worth thousands more than the Fit. Even the Focus Hatch is a better deal than the 3. The 3 looks nice, and I like it, but it just isn't worth what I could get a CR-V for. So, I bought the Fit, and couldn't be happier. Even my grand kids often want to take it instead of the Camaro.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:22 AM
I really wanted a LX Fit Manual for awhile but after we got a few cvts in at the local honda It just felt like it was too tall in person. maybe with lowering i would like it more but doing that to a brand new car is silly and the ride and my wallet would suffer. nearest Fit manual to me is 170miles away so i only got to drive cvt which was boring.

So I looked at Mazda 3 hatches and Impreza hatches but in my area it's very difficult to locate them with manual transmissions. again nearest mazda 3 hatch manual is 130 miles away. nearest manual impreza hatch was over 200miles. test driving auto/cvt cars just doesn't do me any good at all if anything i lost interest in them.

Then I started to look at 2013 Mazdaspeed 3's because they seem to be abundant with low miles around here and they only come with manuals so that was a plus. i test drove one and liked the exterior of the car, but the red/black door panel/seat pattern inside of a bright blue car was weird. then i lurked on mazdaspeed 3 forums for a bit and got scared off by all turbo/engine failures stories and went back to looking for new cars. also ms3 not exactly good on mpg.

test drove a fiesta st and the induction noise sounds really cool. front seat space was nice with the seat all the way down and back but no adult would be able to sit behind me without jamming their knees into my back. in the same way a honda fit is amazing on how much space it has. a fiesta was amazing in how little room there was. the rear seats didn't fold down flat and it just doesn't have enough space for me and my life.

So now I'm looking at getting a 2014 Focus. This generation has been going a few years so hoping they've worked any faults out of the car. Plus 2015 is a refresh exterior/interior of the model so I may be able to get a deal on one of the remaining 2014s.

Maybe if the Honda fit launch had gone as originally planned I would of been a fit owner but after all the delays and no manuals to test drive I lost interest in waiting any longer.

Last edited by itsmycookie; 08-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 AM
I was more impressed with the Fiesta than the Focus. They almost have the same rear passenger space!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
I took a serious look at the Mazda 3 even though I have LOVED my 2009 fit over the past 5.5 years. I really did like the driving experience of the Mazda much more than the Fit. The Fit has much more rear sear legroom and much more cargo space, seats down. And comparably equipped there is a $5000 premium in MSRP for the Mazda. While the price was not of a concern for me, I do look for value and the Fit offers much better value. And the Fit wili typically provide slightly better real world fuel economy compared to the 3.

If you were even thinking about the Mazda 3 sport, as opposed to the Touring or Grand Touring, then wait for a 2015, because it will include the command system with the touch screen and backup camera for no more money than the 2014. Some on the Mazda message boards have reported big discounts on the 3.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by RedHouse

This might be a stupid question. Why not the Mazda 2? They just announced the 2015, which also features a touchscreen tablet:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iHK218YtHF...2-Demio-15.jpg

As said by a previous poster, HondaLink's touchscreen is terrible. This is also a big selling point for me (as mentioned in previous posts). I am hoping either Honda Fits or Mazda2s have the ability to add Android Auto (or if you have an Apple phone, Carplay). To me this "end game" infotainment as it will be constantly upgraded. No one wants to be outdated a year after they buy a car.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
I almost bought the 3. Sexy car, quick, smooth, fun to drive. But I have a bad back. After 15 minutes in the seat, my back was screaming, after 20 (on the way back to dealer), my sciatica acted up and my foot went numb.

I bought another Fit. More room, better mileage, dog fits better, cheaper and, well, I loved my last Fit....

Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Wow, such great responses from everyone! Thank you, all.

HondaGeek, I especially appreciate your fair assessment of both cars... very helpful.

If I bought a Mazda, I'd wait for the 2015 model, which has lots of standard upgrades in the i series at the same price as the 2014.

So, the price differential between the Fit EX vs. Mazda with everything I want on/in the car is about $1,006.

I looked at, but didn't drive the Mazda2 ... it's cute, but I want something a tad bigger. Interesting that a few recommended a Ford. I don't think I could buy a Ford ... it's hard enough making a leap to a Japanese car when I've owned German cars forever. One step at a time, maybe?

I clearly need to test drive both of them again ... as I said, I'm not in rush... I have time.

Thank you all again, for your fab comments, I appreciate it!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 AM
BMO
I also considered the Focus hatch (and the Fiesta, but it was too small for my needs), which would have been about the same money, if not a little less, than a Fit EX. I had 5 years of good ownership on an 05 Focus ZX3, which was a surprisingly good and reliable car (with flaws, of course).... but it was all Mazda on the inside and that's why! DCT scared me away from a new automatic Focus or Fiesta. If you were looking manual, you'd probably be okay. The majority of issues with the 2011s and 2012s were fixed, but there are still LOTS of reports of issues with 2014s.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I was planning on buying a Mazda3 and test drove both the 6-speed and automatic. I wasn't even considering a Fit at first, but the Mazda3 was a let down where the Fit was very impressive.

The Mazda3's headrests are very uncomfortable because they push your neck forward. The Fit's seats are comfy.

My Britax B-Safe baby seat was a tight squeeze to fit in the Mazda3's back seat where the Fit has a much roomier back seat.

A fully loaded Fit is the same price as a mid-level Mazda3.

The Mazda3's blind spot monitoring is nice how it is automatic, but I love the Honda LaneWatch. It gives much more awareness on the right and rear of the car with it's wide-angled camera view.

There is very poor visibility out the back window of the Mazda3 because the window is so small. I felt like I had poor awareness of cars behind me with the rear view mirror. The Fit has a much larger rear window.

Honda Fit paddle shifters are available at anytime where with the Mazda3 you have to move the shifter into sport mode and then forward or backward, who is going to bother with that. It is very quick to just pull the left paddle to immediately get more power in the Fit. I preferred the Fit's CVT to the Mazda3's traditional automatic, but the Mazda3's 6-speed is awesome.

The Mazda3 is sportier. But the Fit is suprisingly sporty too, plenty sporty enough for me. I used to drive a Miata.

Quick Reply: Fit vs. Mazda3