3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Valet key and other key questions for LX andd EX owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Valet key and other key questions for LX andd EX owners

Shortly I will buy an LX or EX Fit and have a couple of questions. How many keys does the LX come with and does it come with a valet key. Also how many keys does the EX come with and does it have a valet key…….thanks in advance

Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
EX comes with two keys. No valet key.... although not sure there's really a reason to have one as the only locks in the car are on the front doors.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Mikeygnyc, thank you for the response …..the reason I asked is a car such as the Prius C (subcompact hatchback) also does not a have key for the hatch opening in the rear but it does come with a valet key…..and used with a cargo cover is very convenient when using valet parking.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by DMcFit
Mikeygnyc, thank you for the response …..the reason I asked is a car such as the Prius C (subcompact hatchback) also does not a have key for the hatch opening in the rear but it does come with a valet key…..and used with a cargo cover is very convenient when using valet parking.
Makes sense.... but on the Fit, even with the cover, you have cargo area access from inside. Would be nice as a deterrent though.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
I want to know if the key can get wet- not the whole fob, but the physical key that you remove.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
If you are talking about the smart key fob, I do not know what you mean that the Prius C has a valet key. I have a 2013 Prius C 3 with smart key entry and the 2 key fobs are functionally identical to the 2015 Fit's smart key fob. No valet key with my Prius C. I guess you could give the pop out key to a valet but on both cars they would not be able to drive the car, kind of not an option for a valet! And you can access the contents of any hatchback from the backseat with ease. Your best bet- don't leave valuables inside.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 AM
Thanks Amy Wihelmina for the response, I agree it’s best not to leave valuables in the car. The Prius C Two comes with two keys and a valet key but no smart key.

Since you mentioned that you own a 2013 Prius C Three. How does it compare to the Fit? I have been planning on buying a 2015 Ft between now and early September but lately I have started to give the Prius C more consideration.

My wife drives a 2013 Prius C Two and I recently sold my car and have been driving hers while waiting to buy a car. And now I’m wavering between the Prius and the Fit. The late of power in the Prius doesn’t bother me much as I drive mostly city driving and not much on highways. The lack of back up camera does bother me though.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
I think the question is if a key that looks like this will work.

I would like to know this myself as I hide a key on my cars' underbodies in case of emergency.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Amy Wihelmina for the response, I agree it’s best not to leave valuables in the car. The Prius C Two comes with two keys and a valet key but no smart key.

Since you mentioned that you own a 2013 Prius C Three. How does it compare to the Fit? I have been planning on buying a 2015 Ft between now and early September but lately I have started to give the Prius C more consideration.
Well, if you're familiar with the Prius C Two the Three is just one step up. If I remember right the Two does not have the touch screen whereas the Three does, and it also has Navigation, HD radio, and satellite radio. It also has a smart key with push button start. Alloy wheels and sunroof are optional, I have the wheels.

As for how does it compare to the 2015 Fit.. well that is kind of a loaded question. There are 4 trims of each, so depends which ones you are comparing. I have the Prius C Three and the Fit EX-L with Navi. I would not directly compare them even though they cost me around the same. The Prius C is obviously for MPGs, that is the purpose of a hybrid. You get 2 engines in one vehicle and pay for that through some loss of features.

For me, I love the Prius C. I needed a vehicle with a bit more backseat legroom and headroom and a bit more trunk space and the Fit fills these gaps perfectly for us. And when we want more MPGs on a car trip or something we can drive the Prius C. But if the Prius C fulfills all your needs and you drive a lot, a second Prius C makes perfect sense. If you don't drive a whole lot, even if you don't need the added benefits and features of the Fit, you might want to go for the Fit because you just get more inside for less/the same money depending which trim.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
The key fob is the valet key. There is a switch on the key fob that releases it from the key chain and you hand the valet the key fob while you keep the key that is inside the key fob. The sales person showed me this when I bought my 2015 Honda Fit. This is for EX trim and higher. Mine came with two key fobs
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mark Masters; 09-10-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:02 AM
The key inside the key fob is in case the battery for the key dies so at least you will be able to gain entry to the car. My salesman also didn't get it right.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Masters
The key fob is the valet key. There is a switch on the key fob that releases it from the key chain and you hand the valet the key fob while you keep the key that is inside the key fob. The sales person showed me this when I bought my 2015 Honda Fit. This is for EX trim and higher. Mine came with two key fobs
Hope that helps.
That is correct. I own the 2015 Fit EX-CVT trim level and my sales rep showed me the same thing. And yes, it comes with 2 key fobs. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by Mark Masters
Hope that helps.
The key inside the key fob is in case the battery for the key dies so at least you will be able to gain entry to the car. My salesman also didn't get it right.
A valet key is intended to unlock and start a car, but not open a locking glove compartment or a locking trunk so you can protect valuables from those shifty valet parkers while still enabling them to park your car.

1) the glove box in the Fit doesn't lock, and 2) it's a hatchback with no locking trunk. Not only is there no valet key, but there aren't even features in this car that would use one. In fact, the only key hole on the whole car (EX and above) is on the driver door, proving exactly what the key is for. There would be zero benefit from taking out the physical key and giving the guy your fob alone.

As McFit said, the key inside the fob is only there in case the fob battery dies and you need to unlock the car door. If your salesmen told you otherwise, he was wrong.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
A valet key is intended to unlock and start a car, but not open a locking glove compartment or a locking trunk so you can protect valuables from those shifty valet parkers while still enabling them to park your car.

1) the glove box in the Fit doesn't lock, and 2) it's a hatchback with no locking trunk. Not only is there no valet key, but there aren't even features in this car that would use one. In fact, the only key hole on the whole car (EX and above) is on the driver door, proving exactly what the key is for. There would be zero benefit from taking out the physical key and giving the guy your fob alone.

As McFit said, the key inside the fob is only there in case the fob battery dies and you need to unlock the car door. If your salesmen told you otherwise, he was wrong.
I concur 100%