3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I can't believe this......

Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 PM
@xxryu139x - From today going forward anything more than a garden hose and a bucket of soap is high pressure! No more pressurized hoses for me!!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
well i hope u don't mention that u used a pressure washer incorrectly. i'm pretty sure they'll turn around and blame you not the car.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
It would be a good idea to keep the car waxed, at least a fresh wax job every 6 months . This should help your paint longevity.
Most 'natural' waxes lose what little protective qualities they have after a couple weeks.

If you want to protect your paint, use a clear bra or a high end paint sealant.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:16 PM
@pjaymac - I agree. Prior to purchasing the '15 Fit I own a '06 Civic (which has 233k miles on it) and I owned a '01 Accord where I used pressurized hoses (at the same carwash) on both cars when I first purchased them and I never had a problem with peeling paint.

I am going to the dealer in the morning. I will post tomorrow night how I made out.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM
@xxryu139x - I don't want to lie to the dealer because using the pressurized hose is how the damage in fact happened. I am going to get it fixed regardless of whether or not the dealer covers it under warranty. The car is 3 weeks old and I live in NY where the winters are harsh. I don't want any rusting or the bumper to continuing peeling. If I have to pay out of pocket to have the bumper fixed I will chock it up as a lesson learned. The way it's been raining hard in NY recently I wonder should I be concerned with peeling paint from high pressure rain??

Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 PM
@mike410b - Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Honda has had this issue for so long with there plastic bumpers! At least there not as bad as GM back in the 1990's when all the paint would come off of the car!! O_o

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM
m_x
-Using High Pressure Cleaners
• Keep sufficient distance between the cleaning nozzle and the vehicle body.
• Take particular care around the windows. Standing too close may cause water to
enter the vehicle interior.
• Do not spray high pressure water directly into the engine compartment. Instead,
use low pressure water and a mild detergent.

This is the note from the manual. Doesn't say not to do it, but you might want to emphasize that you were at a sufficient distance.

Sucks to hear about this man... I hope Honda makes it right.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Good luck with this and keep us informed.

I have heard of people pressure washing their dirty engines, I was afraid to try this because I thought it might force water into somewhere it doesn't belong.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry....

Your experience, along with the other stories of GK paint issues, does not bode well for me....

Generally I am seeing paint-jobs as an area a few manufacturers are cutting back in, which is disheartening since In NYC/NJ between the contruction vehicles stray rocks, and lack of road cleaning (seriously check the BQE for bottles rocks, pieces of accidents past, shoes), a vehicles paint and front end will take a beating.

I was looking forward to the Mazda 3 (killer reviews) but havent seen a solid paint job on these yet....whereas the CX-5 has a pretty good one.

The imprezas and crossteks look ok, but between the paint job and the thin body panels (reminds me of my mom 's old a 2000 accent) I had to walk away....

So I'm between the Fit, Soul, and Forte5 ....and depending on how Honda handles these recent quality control issues and how aloof they've become with their offerings (civic si ranked very poorly), I might be down to 2

Kia in particular seems to be filling the same void Honda filled in the early 90's....

I really hope they repaint that for you.....I've used those bays on 2 occasions...and the high pressure streams arent high enough to peel paint....they are put in a car wash to be used......

My 09 has held up ok.....though I had my front repainted.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Went to the dealer this morning and told the estimator exactly what happened to my bumper. He thought that I said that the pressurized nozzle hit the bumper which caused it to peel. I kindly corrected him and said that I was standing atleast a foot away from the car while spraying when the paint started peeling. The estimator agreed that the paint should not have peeled off the bumper if in fact I was standing that far away. He immediately said it sounded like a warranty issue. Without any hesitation the estimator went into his office and got a camera to take pics of the bumper, my Vin#, door jamb plate and odometer. The estimator explained that he will write an estimate and submit photos to Honda for authorization to repair. He said I should receive a call within a week from them to schedule the repair.

I will keep you posted.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by FitasaFiddle15
Went to the dealer this morning and told the estimator exactly what happened to my bumper. He thought that I said that the pressurized nozzle hit the bumper which caused it to peel. I kindly corrected him and said that I was standing atleast a foot away from the car while spraying when the paint started peeling. The estimator agreed that the paint should not have peeled off the bumper if in fact I was standing that far away. He immediately said it sounded like a warranty issue. Without any hesitation the estimator went into his office and got a camera to take pics of the bumper, my Vin#, door jamb plate and odometer. The estimator explained that he will write an estimate and submit photos to Honda for authorization to repair. He said I should receive a call within a week from them to schedule the repair.

I will keep you posted.
Good for you for standing up for your rights! I'm glad he was willing to document and submit the claim for you!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Well at least they're going to take care of it. That shouldn't happen at all. Stuff like that is not normal and nobody should be blaming pressure washers lol I had a $150 back alley paint job on an old car of mine and that didn't even peel using pressure.

I've been using pressure guns weekly sometimes as close as 1" away to spray off tar on my GE and no issues. I blew out the aftermarket window trim Safelite installed on my hatch glass though LOL just put it back with trim epoxy.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
well i hope u don't mention that u used a pressure washer incorrectly. i'm pretty sure they'll turn around and blame you not the car.
Seriously? The OP did nothing wrong. If you can't go to a CAR wash and wash your car than every manufacturer would have warnings in their warranty about pressure washers. This is a warranty issue over defective paint, plain and simple.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member

Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM
@john21031 - How do you post pics on this thread? I had indicated in my original post that I would post pics if someone could tell me how.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
If you want to protect your paint, use a clear bra or a high end paint sealant.
I've been wanting to go with a clear bra for a while -- anyone have a recommendation for a good (effective but not outrageously expensive) option?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by chrisjones
I've been wanting to go with a clear bra for a while -- anyone have a recommendation for a good (effective but not outrageously expensive) option?
Clear bra is great. No chips at all and it didn't peel at all in 7 years. Just changed the colour a little. On a white car may show...
I only did the front of the hood and part of the front fenders, bumper and mirrors can't rust...

Old 09-11-2014, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitasaFiddle15
@john21031 - How do you post pics on this thread? I had indicated in my original post that I would post pics if someone could tell me how.
Linking and Embedding Images – Photobucket Support

The photos are posted on any free photo hosting site, then the link is pasted into this message (using the little picture icon on top).

Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Update!!!!

As of yesterday my bumper has been repaired and my Fit looks good as new again!! . I am very satisfied with the repair and it did turn out to be covered under warranty. I asked the body shop person when I could wash my car seeing as though the bumper was just repainted? He told me I could go through a touchless car wash at anytime but he would recommend I wait a month to go through a touch car wash to give the paint time to set. I don't do touch car washes until my car is atleast 2-3 years old. Even though the temperature where I live in NY is an average 50 degrees this time of the year I will be washing and rinsing my Fit with a bucket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can't believe this......