3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

dealer logo painted on my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM
dealer logo painted on my car

Yes, I'm a source of stupid questions. I purchased my fit a few weeks ago, and now just realized that that the dealer's stupid logo is painted on to the back of my car. It doesn't really matter, obviously, but now I'm wondering if there is a way to remove it. Am I out of luck? Is it there for the duration?

Also, any suggestions for getting a plain old license plate frame? Is there a good site for these things?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty obnoxious to paint their logo on Are you sure it isn't some sort of decal?

you can buy plain frames from AutoZone or other auto parts stores.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
painted? really? wow, that sucks. mine was a sticker i promptly removed after getting the car home.

hit it up with some paint thinner/remover. put it on a rag and gently see if it will come off.

was this dealer Boch? i know they love to advertise...

Old 09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm an idiot. I just went outside and peeled a letter off. It appears to be individual stickers (the letters). It left a sticky residue. Any recommendations on how to do this without ruining my paint - and a product that might help me safely remove any sticker residue?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
You can use a hair dryer to gently warm the vinyl decal, which will make it easier to remove. Goo Gone will remove any remaining residue (or mineral spirits in moderation).

I made it a condition of sale that the dealer not apply any stickers or license plate frames. I'm happy to refer them "word of mouth" because of the good experience I had, and that will potentially sell more cars than someone seeing a sticker and thinking "hey! I need to go there!"

es

Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
The sooner you take it off, the easier it will be. I used rubbing alcohol to get the residue off after I peeled the letters off. Then I waxed the area well. The sticker on my 2007 Honda Odyssey is another story. It has hardened over the years, so it won't peel off at all. I may try that hair dryer suggestion and see if that works. Sometimes the dealer will give you a free car wash if you have their dealer sticker on. This did not concern me, as they use a spinning roller type brush car wash, that I would never use on my car.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Removed the Herb Chambers sticker and license plate frame as soon as I got home. I told them to not put them on, but they did anyway.

I used Goo-Gone to get the sticker residue off without any issues.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotMyName
I'm an idiot. I just went outside and peeled a letter off. It appears to be individual stickers (the letters). It left a sticky residue. Any recommendations on how to do this without ruining my paint - and a product that might help me safely remove any sticker residue?
Use a hair drier to warm-up the decal then gently pick away at the corner with a finger nail -- you should be able to peel it off without too much difficulty.

Apply some WD40 to a soft cloth and gently work away at the residue -- it'll come off very nicely and will not damage the paint.

Last edited by Spitfire; 09-09-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 AM
grab a bottle of GOO-GoNE at walmart.

Doesnt hurt paint, great for taking an old rag, soaking up some goo-gone, and spongeing the offending area heavily. let it soak a second, then take a piece of hard plastic that has some sort of edge and scrape the sticker off.

Take a clean rag, wipe off any residue left over, then use mild soap or baby shampoo and some warm water, and clean the effected area again.

Goo-gone should never be left on the paint. Its safe for use, not longterm residue!

Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I made sure Bernardi didn't put their decal on my last car, and will do so again this time.

(I mean, not that I'm happy this happened to you!)

Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Dealers forcing you to advertise for free is not cool. I always made sure to tell them not to put anything of the sort on my car, including the licence plate holder.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM
I was able to remove it with the suggested hair dryer and goo gone method. thanks!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
I wish my dealer didn't clearcoat over the sticker...

Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Below is a quote from the Massachusetts General Laws. The OP is in Massachusetts. Go back to the dealer, and have THEM remove the sticker from the car and do any required touch-up or restoration of the finish. They have broken the law. In this state, they are only allowed to put the dealer emblem on the car if you consent in writing. While you're there, ask them where this law is posted, as posting is required by law. Ask them to show you where it is posted "in a conspicuous place." If they can't, inform them that they are violating the law. If they show you, then ask why nobody at the dealership could read it.

You didn't say where you bought it, but some of the sleazier local dealers, especially Boch and Chambers, are known for violating this law. Go to the dealer, and demand that they make things right for you. You could even push for free floor mats or something. They screwed you, they screwed your car, and they violated state law.

MGL Ch. 90 Sec. 7R1/2
Originally Posted by MGL
Chapter 90: Section 7R 1/2 Dealers insignias, logos or plates; placement on motor vehicles; consent

Section 7R1/2. No seller, or an agent or employee of a seller, of motor vehicles shall place on a motor vehicle an insignia, logo or other plate that advertises the name of the seller without first having obtained the written consent of the buyer of such motor vehicle. Such seller must provide a buyer with a written consent form at the time of the purchase of the motor vehicle. The original of such written consent form shall be retained by the seller and a copy retained by the buyer. Any such seller's failure to obtain written consent from the buyer shall enable the buyer to request that the seller remove any insignia, logo or plate and make all repairs necessary to restore the motor vehicle to its original condition. Each seller shall post in a conspicuous place, a notice explaining the buyer's rights under this section.

Any violation of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred dollars.

Last edited by Buck Fitty; 09-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
MGL Ch. 90 Sec. 7R1/2
Great. Good to know.

While I have successfully removed the stickers and replaced the plate frames with plain black frames, I have learned a ton about buying a new car and things to look out for.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 PM
We don't have many of those "sticker dealers" here in SoCal. I'd be pretty upset if a dealer put a sticker on my car after I told them specifically not to do so.

I'm OK with license plate frames as they can come off without danger to the vehicle's finish. I put them on the shelf in the garage as some of them actually become collectible.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 09-12-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
We don't have many of those "sticker dealers" here in SoCal. I'd be pretty upset if a dealer put a sticker on my car after I told them specifically not to do so.

I'm OK with license plate frames as they can come off without danger to the vehicle's finish. I put them on the shelf in the garage as some of them actually become collectible.
Here in Georgia they're already on the car by the time the car is put our on display. They install these things as a part of their "prep", not after you've bought it. Every car you're looking at on the lot has the sticker or plastic or metal emblem. Nearly every dealership follows this practice, and some will remove it if asked while others won't.

There unfortunately is no point where a buyer would have an opportunity to ask them not to put a sticker/emblem on the car as it is too late.

If they are doing it after the fact where you are (unless asked not to), consider yourself very fortunate.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by chrisjones
...There unfortunately is no point where a buyer would have an opportunity to ask them not to put a sticker/emblem on the car as it is too late....
Since most Fits are currently being purchased before they are delivered the buyer has every opportunity to tell the dealer not to deface the vehicle before delivery. In fact, it should be written into the sales agreement!

I've noted that the "dealer emblem" practice seems to be heaviest in the midwest and south. I wonder how many additional sales it actually generates for the dealers who do it?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Since most Fits are currently being purchased before they are delivered the buyer has every opportunity to tell the dealer not to deface the vehicle before delivery. In fact, it should be written into the sales agreement!

I've noted that the "dealer emblem" practice seems to be heaviest in the midwest and south. I wonder how many additional sales it actually generates for the dealers who do it?
I often wonder if it is not used to help distinguish your car from a similar model, say by the police or bank (when being repossessed), much like a tattoo is for humans.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I often wonder if it is not used to help distinguish your car from a similar model, say by the police or bank (when being repossessed), much like a tattoo is for humans.

not at all

its advertising for the dealership.

I cant say i have ever had to come down to a dealership logo or sticker in describing a vehicle.

Quick Reply: dealer logo painted on my car